Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I'm a compulsive gambler.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Actually I am right but probably never explained myself properly at first. Put simpler if I buy two lottery tickets(or raffle tickets) I do not halve the odds, I simply have more chances at the original odds

I think you are confusing odds (which is what a bookmaker offers) with probability (which is the likelihood of something occurring).

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
There's one small caveat in the "two tickets double your chances of winning" thing, and that is that the tickets must have different numbers on them. If, say, you bought 2 lucky dips and they both drew the same numbers, then your chances of winning are still 1 in 120m.

(In this scenario you would, however, win a greater share of the winning prize if others also had winning tickets.)

60,000 tickets are sold each week in the Lotto with the same combination 1,2,3,4,5,6.....if they came in there would utter joy across the nation, for an hour, until they were all told they had won two bob each

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
I think you are confusing odds (which is what a bookmaker offers) with probability (which is the likelihood of something occurring).

Just cloud the issue further lol. In all probability we are all discussing odds/probability on a thread where someone has admitted to having a gambling problem and the odds are that makes us all insensitive ****s

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
hate to be a bore but it is mathematically possible to beat the house at roulette..................its just the buggers have a bet ceiling so you cant put said plan into operation
The Martingale system [sic] applied to roulette is the epitome of so-called strategy nonsense...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Eaglesdestroyseagulls was using the term odds correctly; odds is a recognised term in probability theory.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
Eaglesdestroyseagulls was using the term odds correctly; odds is a recognised term in probability theory.

But odds as quoted by a bookmaker are a measure of how much money you will obtain if an event occurs, rather than the probability that the event will occur, which is the use of the term 'odds' in probability theory.

Probability theory states that for a (perfect) single die the chance of rolling a 6 on a single throw is 1 in 6. No way that a bookie will ever give you 5/1 on that.

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
The Martingale system [sic] applied to roulette is the epitome of so-called strategy nonsense...
There is a system based on the fact that numbers 0-36 never in reality come out in 37 consecutive spins, therefore numbers will double up. I'd assume you would have to be mathematically nimble and have deep pockets for a small return.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
There is a system based on the fact that numbers 0-36 never in reality come out in 37 consecutive spins, therefore numbers will double up. I'd assume you would have to be mathematically nimble and have deep pockets for a small return.

Once a zero has been spun, the chance that the other 36 numbers will come in 36 spins is 1 in 760 trillion (US trillions). Given the number of roulette wheels that have been spun around the world every day for decades, the chances are that it has happened.

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
Once a zero has been spun, the chance that the other 36 numbers will come in 36 spins is 1 in 760 trillion (US trillions). Given the number of roulette wheels that have been spun around the world every day for decades, the chances are that it has happened.

Well, 1 in 766,879,127,067,901, :whistle: but a good point well made.

Sounds a lot more probable than that, but maths is maths.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003

A confusing one though, since anyone who is not a full-time probability theorist is only likely to come into contact with odds which have a margin built in.

More to the point, as some have pointed out, this is a thread started by a problem gambler who is seeking help, and may well show up close to the top of a Google search by other problem gamblers seeking the same. It already includes Justice's delusional rambling about making money from roulette, and seems to be heading even further off-topic. Might it be an idea (is it even possible?) to de-merge Justice, odds, probability theory etc into a new thread?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
There are some right dunces in this thread.
You cannot beat the roulette wheel, anyone who say's this is either stupid or deluded(maybe both). Buying two tickets at something does not halve the odds. Say I enter a raffle and there are 120 tickets, if I buy one the odds are 120/1. If I buy two I have 2 chances at 120/1 otherwise if the odds kept halving everytime then I could buy 7 and get down to odds of approximately 2/1, its not hard to work out.

I'm afraid your logic is also rather flawed. Buying a second ticket does indeed halve the odds of winning but buying a third ticket does not halve the odds again. You have to add the odds not multiply them. Buying 3 tickets gives you 3/120 = 1/40, buying 4 tickets gives you 4/120 = 1/30, buying 7 tickets gives you 7/120 = 5.833333333% chance of winning. Join the dunces club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here