I'm a compulsive gambler.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I work in risk assessment and so calculate probability daily. I can confirm that buying 2 tickets, each with a probability of winning of 1/112 000 000, gives an overall probability of 2/112 000 000 - or 1/56 000 000.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
my calculation was shit agreed, but if one ticket has odds of 112,000,000/1. How does the next ticket cover 56,000,000 chances?
The odds are based on the possible cominations being 112,000,000 different . You would need to buy 56,000,000 lines of lotto tickets to half your chances of winning it.

You are getting confused between doubling your chance of winning by buying a second ticket and increasing your chances of winning to 50% by buying 56,000,000 tickets. They are two very different things!

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
There are some right dunces in this thread.
You cannot beat the roulette wheel, anyone who say's this is either stupid or deluded(maybe both). Buying two tickets at something does not halve the odds. Say I enter a raffle and there are 120 tickets, if I buy one the odds are 120/1. If I buy two I have 2 chances at 120/1 otherwise if the odds kept halving everytime then I could buy 7 and get down to odds of approximately 2/1, its not hard to work out.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
You cannot beat the roulette wheel, anyone who say's this is either stupid or deluded(maybe both). Buying two tickets at something does not halve the odds. Say I enter a raffle and there are 120 tickets, if I buy one the odds are 120/1. If I buy two I have 2 chances at 120/1 otherwise if the odds kept halving everytime then I could buy 7 and get down to odds of approximately 2/1, its not hard to work out.
No shit Sherlock

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Buying two tickets at something does not halve the odds.

Yes, yes it does.

Say I enter a raffle and there are 120 tickets if I buy one the odds are 120/1. If I buy two I have 2 chances at 120/1 otherwise if the odds kept halving everytime then I could buy 7 and get down to odds of approximately 2/1, its not hard to work out.

Buying 2 tickets instead of 1 does double your chances of winning because 2 is double 1. If you then bought another, your chances would be 3/120. Your 7 ticket scenario would give you a 7/120 chance.

You're the latest member of Club Drongo-Maths.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
my calculation was shit agreed, but if one ticket has odds of 112,000,000/1. How does the next ticket cover 56,000,000 chances?
The odds are based on the possible cominations being 112,000,000 different . You would need to buy 56,000,000 lines of lotto tickets to half your chances of winning it.

If you believe that no wonder you believed the bollocks your friend spouted about beating the roulette wheel.

Say I enter a raffle and there are 120 tickets, if I buy one the odds are 120/1. If I buy two I have 2 chances at 120/1 otherwise if the odds kept halving everytime then I could buy 7 and get down to odds of approximately 2/1, its not hard to work out.
... and if you buy all 120 tickets, you are certain to win.

But the prize is likely to be worth less than the price of 120 tickets.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

If you buy 7 your chances would be 7/120, or approximately 1 in 17.

If you buy Chemakh your chances of avoiding relegation are about 120/1 :)

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham

Wrong. If you enter a raffle and there are 120 tickets and buy one then your odds are 1 in 120. If you buy two then your odds are 2 in 120 or 1 in 60 (so the odds have halved). The odds will not halve on buying a third ticket as you have not doubled the number of tickets. So if you buy three the odds are 3 in 120 or 1 in 40. If you bought 60 tickets then the odds would be 60 in 120 or 1 in 2 (this makes sense as you have bought have the tickets so would expect a 50:50 chance of winning). If you bought 120 tickets then the odds would be 120 in 120 or certain.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Your first sentence is spot on. However, buying 2 tickles in a raffle DOES halve your odds of winning. If you buy 2 tickets in your 120 ticket raffle then you have a 2/120 chance of winning; that's the same as 1/60.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Yes, yes it does.

Buying 2 tickets instead of 1 does double your chances of winning because 2 is double 1. If you then bought another, your chances would be 3/120. Your 7 ticket scenario would give you a 7/120 chance.

You're the latest member of Club Drongo-Maths.

Wrong. If you enter a raffle and there are 120 tickets and buy one then your odds are 1 in 120. If you buy two then your odds are 2 in 120 or 1 in 60 (so the odds have halved). The odds will not halve on buying a third ticket as you have not doubled the number of tickets. So if you buy three the odds are 3 in 120 or 1 in 40. If you bought 60 tickets then the odds would be 60 in 120 or 1 in 2 (this makes sense as you have bought have the tickets so would expect a 50:50 chance of winning). If you bought 120 tickets then the odds would be 120 in 120 or certain.

Your first sentence is spot on. However, buying 2 tickles in a raffle DOES halve your odds of winning. If you buy 2 tickets in your 120 ticket raffle then you have a 2/120 chance of winning; that's the same as 1/60.

Probably best I shut up as I may be wrong, but if I buy to lottery tickets I do not halve the odds off winning simply because I have bought two

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Probably best I shut up as I may be wrong, but if I buy to lottery tickets I do not halve the odds off winning simply because I have bought two

Yes you do.

One ticket = 1 in 120 million chance of winning
Two tickets = 2 in 120 million chances of winning, which is one in 60 million

To halve your chances of winning again though, you would need to buy two more tickets, so you have a 4 in 120 million chances of winning, or 1 in 30 million.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There's one small caveat in the "two tickets double your chances of winning" thing, and that is that the tickets must have different numbers on them. If, say, you bought 2 lucky dips and they both drew the same numbers, then your chances of winning are still 1 in 120m.

(In this scenario you would, however, win a greater share of the winning prize if others also had winning tickets.)

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
You are wrong. It is simple maths.

Yes you do.

One ticket = 1 in 120 million chance of winning
Two tickets = 2 in 120 million chances of winning, which is one in 60 million

To halve your chances of winning again though, you would need to buy two more tickets, so you have a 4 in 120 million chances of winning, or 1 in 30 million.

Actually I am right but probably never explained myself properly at first. Put simpler if I buy two lottery tickets(or raffle tickets) I do not halve the odds, I simply have more chances at the original odds

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
There's one small caveat in the "two tickets double your chances of winning" thing, and that is that the tickets must have different numbers on them. If, say, you bought 2 lucky dips and they both drew the same numbers, then your chances of winning are still 1 in 120m.

(In this scenario you would, however, win a greater share of the winning prize if others also had winning tickets.)

True, it's the same as walking up to a girl on a Saturday night, and asking her for a ******** ******. If you ask the same girl 120 times she will always say no, so it's important that you ask 120 different ones. However, the one who says yes may decide you love her after 15 minutes, have a very large teddy bear collection, and hang outside your house all night long singing to you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports