Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Im a better fan than you- official club fan "ranking"

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
The club is now giving out "digital trophies" to fans, as per https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/3532647/your-season-in-numbers-explained

basically you are a better fan if you are able to attend all honme and away matches. The blurb says : "Which Seagull trophy you receive will be based on your match attendance and dedication to Albion throughout the 2022/23 Premier League season, giving you the ultimate bragging rights to share on Twitter!"

• Diamond Seagull: Attended 35+ Premier League matches throughout 2022/23
  • Gold Seagull: Attended 25+ Premier League matches throughout 2022/23
  • Silver Seagull: Attended 15+ Premier League matches throughout 2022/23
  • Bronze Seagull: Attended 5+ Premier League matches throughout 2022/23
I dont like this, its one thing showing you your stats but to rank fans in this way is a bit naff. Lots of people are dedicated fans but simply cant afford to attend all matches. Id say a fan attending 10 matvches who lives 150 miles away is as dedicated or more so than one (like me) living a mile and a half from the stadium

Im sure before long there will be cries of Oh I am a diamond Seagull I should get preference over a mere Silver Seagul for Euro tickets

All a bit "tin pot" to me

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
May just as well merge this into any of the many threads about loyalty points as it is basically going to be the same discussion/argument.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
A
The club is now giving out "digital trophies" to fans, as per https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/3532647/your-season-in-numbers-explained

basically you are a better fan if you are able to attend all honme and away matches. The blurb says : "Which Seagull trophy you receive will be based on your match attendance and dedication to Albion throughout the 2022/23 Premier League season, giving you the ultimate bragging rights to share on Twitter!"

I dont like this, its one thing showing you your stats but to rank fans in this way is a bit naff. Lots of people are dedicated fans but simply cant afford to attend all matches. Id say a fan attending 10 matvches who lives 150 miles away is as dedicated or more so than one (like me) living a mile and a half from the stadium

Im sure before long there will be cries of Oh I am a diamond Seagull I should get preference over a mere Silver Seagul for Euro tickets

Definit

Definitely tinpot, they should include cup games.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Think the club will have seen the popularity of these kind of annual stats emails for spotify/twitch being shared on twitter and tried to copy them to raise engagement.

I'd guess the ranking system will actually discourage many from sharing. Unnecessary, just let the numbers speak for themselves.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
It kind of implies that watching the Albion play is a bit of a chore rather than a decent day out. Odd.
Exactly this. These kind of programs need to be very careful not to replace the intrinsic reward of going to the game with an extrinsic reward that turns it into a chore.

Having said that I'm, presumably, Seagull poop since I haven't been to a single game for obvious reasons.

Do I get anything for watching most (all?) that league games on the TV?

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
I quite like to see my stats but ranking people is a bit tinpot as you say - just not necessary.

SteveU

May 31, 2022
Total nonsense. I’ve just had an email saying I attended 2 home games this season when I only missed the Tottenham home game due to being on holiday. How did they work this crap out.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Where does it say you're a 'better fan' depending on how many games you attended. It's just a meaningless token 'award' that is designed to drive up social media engagement. Don't like it? Don't get involved.
I quite like to see my stats but ranking people is a bit tinpot as you say - just not necessary.
No different from all the Challenges, Local Legend segments and all that other stuff you now get on Strava, IMO. No problem with that, or being given a metallic seagull tag, myself :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here