[Albion] Igor Julio - SINGS for 4 years!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I know this guy is primarily a centre back, but from watching various highlight videos he seems to find himself further up the pitch a lot. More like a defensive mid who makes passes and runs from there. I wonder if we might be seeing this guy as a bit of utility defensive and midfield player. Might be wrong as i've not seen a full 90, but I wouldn't class his style as your traditional centre back type. More mobile than that and looks comfortable dribbling with the ball.
Watching any of our last ten or so league games, our centre backs regularly seemed to be approaching the opposition penalty area….I don’t think De Zerbi does “traditional centre back types”!

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
We don't need any more RBs.

We have Lamptey, Veltman and Milner.

We may also find that Webster gets used as an auxiliary Full Back, much like Dan Burn was. His CB spot is very much under threat.
We really do. Lamptey is broken. Veltmen is more of a utility player than an out and out right back and Milner is 38. An attacking right back is a huge hole in our squad - particularly when you look at how our left side operate with Pervis.

Using auxiliary full backs isn’t helpful.

Stumpy Tim

We really do. Lamptey is broken. Veltmen is more of a utility player than an out and out right back and Milner is 38. An attacking right back is a huge hole in our squad - particularly when you look at how our left side operate with Pervis.

I was expecting Offiah to fill the gap, so surprised he didn't go to the US. He must be lined up for a loan

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

Lamptey isn't broken, he was injured and is now fit.

Have you forgotten how good he can be?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

I think Tariq has been written off too early. Lamptey is actually a pretty decent defender despite his formerly headline grabbing speed. If he can stay fit I'd like to think he'll be the alternate RB instead of Pascal. I still think we should get another one in though

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I know this guy is primarily a centre back, but from watching various highlight videos he seems to find himself further up the pitch a lot. More like a defensive mid who makes passes and runs from there. I wonder if we might be seeing this guy as a bit of utility defensive and midfield player. Might be wrong as i've not seen a full 90, but I wouldn't class his style as your traditional centre back type. More mobile than that and looks comfortable dribbling with the ball.
If you watched the Chelsea friendly, we were pushing one centre back VERY high up the pitch, pretty much in front of the midfield to lead the press. Very interesting if we're going for a player that has that in his locker already.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Have you forgotten how likely he is to get injured again?

In 3 years he has had 7 different injuries, in total meaning he has missed 383 days of his short career already.

I don't wish to doom him to an injury-plagued career a la Kaz, but the evidence so far and his playing style makes it fairly likely, no?

Love him as a player and obviously hope he has an injury free season.

Last edited:

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
I think Tariq has been written off too early. Lamptey is actually a pretty decent defender despite his formerly headline grabbing speed. If he can stay fit I'd like to think he'll be the alternate RB instead of Pascal. I still think we should get another one in though

Our squad is already bloated, the only way I can see us getting another RB is if one were to leave. I'd rather we keep Lamptey and try to get him back to his best.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016

In 3 years he has had 7 different injuries, in total meaning he has missed 383 days of his short career already.

I don't wish to doom him to an injury plagued career, but the evidence so far and his playing style makes it fairly likely, no?

I get those concerns, but I still hope we keep him.

Michael Owen was once like that, but he overcame his hamstring issues with an individual stretching routine.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

I don't wish to doom him to an injury plagued career, but the evidence so far and his playing style makes it fairly likely, no?

Exactly this for me. No doubting his skill, doubting his ability to stay injury free.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I get those concerns, but I still hope we keep him.

Michael Owen was once like that, but he overcame his hamstring issues with an individual stretching routine.
And he went on to play til the ripe ol age of...*checks notes* about 31.

Stoke doesn't count as football.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

Yes. Unfortunately he hasn’t looked anywhere near that player since the big injury - even when fit - which hasn’t been for much time in between. He might be ok after this lay off but it’s a massive gamble we’d be naïve in taking IMO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports