[Albion] Igor Julio - SINGS for 4 years!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
This is a good point. Apart from all being big Albion sales, the one thing that links Ben White, Cucurella, Bissouma, Caicedo, MacAllister is that they all played next to Dunk who - I would argue - made their lives considerably more comfortable than what they could expect elsewhere.

Indeed, if Arsenal accommodate Timber at RB by moving White to CB alongside Gabriel then they could be in for a nasty surprise. Will Colwill really perform like a GOAT alongside an ageing Thiago Silva? Hmm...
Thiago Silva is still an excellent player and a great mentor for a young CB. Dunk is great but we’re talking one of the best in the world when he was in his prime.

By the end of the season I would say Colwill was probably our first choice ahead of Webster, although thanks to injury and rotation it’s hard to really know. In any case it looks unlikely that he’s coming and Igor should hopefully be able to fill the gap adequately.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Review from last season .....

Igor

A strange season for the big Brazilian, who emerged as one of Italy’s most impressive defenders last year, but he couldn’t maintain it. He’s particularly prone to misjudging high passes over the top and to losing runners in the box; both of those issues caused him, and Fiorentina, considerable grief this season. However, he’s still magnificent in building up from the back, both as a passer and a dribbler, and it’s much easier to remember the mistakes than the times he snuffed out attacks with good, proactive defending. Still, this was probably a step back from him.

Stats: 42 appearances (36 starts), 10 yellow cards, 2 red cards

What’s next: There’s reportedly big interest from Fulham, and it sounds like Daniele Pradè may be willing to accept a €15 million fee for him and take the plusvalenza. If that’s the case, we wish him the best of luck, although keeping him wouldn’t be a bad outcome.

Grade: C- There were good moments and it’s not fair to ignore them, but the catastrophic ones outweighed them.

Hopefully we can get him back on track !! I guess we wouldn't be getting a top serie a defender who is also on form for 15 million, so makes some sense.
Sounds really positive. Red and yellow cards a massive concern in such a physical league but loads of players have dodgy seasons. RDZ will know him well too so it's a reasonably exciting signing.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
This is a good point. Apart from all being big Albion sales, the one thing that links Ben White, Cucurella, Bissouma, Caicedo, MacAllister is that they all played next to Dunk who - I would argue - made their lives considerably more comfortable than what they could expect elsewhere.

Indeed, if Arsenal accommodate Timber at RB by moving White to CB alongside Gabriel then they could be in for a nasty surprise. Will Colwill really perform like a GOAT alongside an ageing Thiago Silva? Hmm...
There’s no way White plays ahead of Saliba.

And Silva was Chelsea’s best player last season. He’s still a class act.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think Colwill would play if all fit. RDZ is obsessed with body position. Where you receive the ball, what options your body position offers. That's one of the main reasons he's so keen on a left footed CB- wasn't really a priority before he joined.
You simply don't have the same options if you're right footed. You're naturally having to face inside and then open your body up once you have the ball as opposed to being able to receive the ball with a very open and forward facing body position. Much harder to play progressive passes outside. Slows everything down, maybe only by milliseconds but it all counts in DeZerbiBall.
Agree that at present Colwill would be forst choice LCB. I don't think Webster's a de Zerbi type of player, and he will either be used as cover this season, or moved on if we recruit enough defenders.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Not been following this transfer too much… he’s a Colwill alternative? Or might we still be interested in Colwill as well as this guy?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Agree that at present Colwill would be forst choice LCB. I don't think Webster's a de Zerbi type of player, and he will either be used as cover this season, or moved on if we recruit enough defenders.
I think the problem with Webster is less that he's not a De Zerbi kind of player. He's an excellent ball carrier and a good passer. I think it's more the fact that he's become woefully unreliable. We talk about Lamptey as being injury-prone and having glass hamstrings, but he only played in 7 less games than Webster last season. Besides, with the season we have upcoming, depth is vital. I see us having two dedicated RCBs (Dunk and Webster) and LCBs (Igor +1)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Another view would be, that like other players we have signed they have gone off the rails a bit (see Billy G) but we can nurse them back to top form and get a bargain in the process.

Season before last Julio was one of the top defenders in serie a and juve were sniffing around. Price would have been triple last summer.
If, by going off the rails a bit you mean being on sleeping tablets due to the stress associated with having a stalker, then I say #prayforIgor

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Thiago Silva is still an excellent player and a great mentor for a young CB. Dunk is great but we’re talking one of the best in the world when he was in his prime.

By the end of the season I would say Colwill was probably our first choice ahead of Webster, although thanks to injury and rotation it’s hard to really know. In any case it looks unlikely that he’s coming and Igor should hopefully be able to fill the gap adequately.
Silva was awful when we beat them 4-1

Hudson Hawk

Feb 20, 2017
Upper Beeding
I think the problem with Webster is less that he's not a De Zerbi kind of player. He's an excellent ball carrier and a good passer. I think it's more the fact that he's become woefully unreliable. We talk about Lamptey as being injury-prone and having glass hamstrings, but he only played in 7 less games than Webster last season. Besides, with the season we have upcoming, depth is vital. I see us having two dedicated RCBs (Dunk and Webster) and LCBs (Igor +1)

It appeared to me that Webster always needed time and a run in the team before he got back to his best. And injuries hampered that last season.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It appeared to me that Webster always needed time and a run in the team before he got back to his best. And injuries hampered that last season.
Problem for Webster is he gets far too many injuries

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Good, finally have left back cover too.
Milner or Samuels?

Igor’s P11 W1 left back record suggests that we won’t be utilising him on the flanks:
IMG_2947.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports