[Albion] Igor Julio - SINGS for 4 years!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
This is directly from one of their major news fansites (ViolaNews), written on June 13th when giving marks out of 10 to their players' season - like a school report card:

Now, as you've read there he played better in the previous season, so he's capable of playing better than how he's played this year. And also, Italiano is a terrible coach to be a defender for, he's nearly suicidal in attack without having any of the safety at the back that even someone like RDZ grants to his teams.
Out of interest, do you (or anybody else you've ever met) find it even vaguely confusing to use a , as a decimal point?
It drives me up the wall when I'm reading Eurocodes and they list options for different equations, which end up reading
"1,4+2p,2,5+p,1+p" and I have to spend about 20minutes working out where one option starts and the next begins.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Erm don't know who you've talked to, but they're all pretty happy, especially for that price. There's definitely a fair bit of recency bias regarding his very costly error in the final against West Ham in Prague, but he hasn't had a good year with Fiorentina.

This is directly from one of their major news fansites (ViolaNews), written on June 13th when giving marks out of 10 to their players' season - like a school report card:

Now, as you've read there he played better in the previous season, so he's capable of playing better than how he's played this year. And also, Italiano is a terrible coach to be a defender for, he's nearly suicidal in attack without having any of the safety at the back that even someone like RDZ grants to his teams.
Oh dear. First bassey and now this guy. Why do we seem to be going for average defenders.

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Out of interest, do you (or anybody else you've ever met) find it even vaguely confusing to use a , as a decimal point?
It drives me up the wall when I'm reading Eurocodes and they list options for different equations, which end up reading
"1,4+2p,2,5+p,1+p" and I have to spend about 20minutes working out where one option starts and the next begins.
Well we're taught to use "," as decimal separator since we're in school. Then afterwards by interacting with internet etc you learn there's also the "." But generally speaking the comma feels way more natural, at least to us Italians, it's also the standard when writing down the exact amount for payments in official documents etc.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Well we're taught to use "," as decimal separator since we're in school. Then afterwards by interacting with internet etc you learn there's also the "." But generally speaking the comma feels way more natural, at least to us Italians, it's also the standard when writing down the exact amount for payments in official documents etc.
To be fair (to all of Europe :lolol:) my problems largely stem from the incompetence of people who write engineering standards, rather than the decimal point itself.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Don't agree with the Veltamn one. Know a few Ajax fans and they all said he was Mr Dependable , always 8/10

Out of interest , who have we had that other fans have said are terrible and turned out to be brilliant . Shane Duffy springs to mind but I think he was highly regarded at Blackburn until he turned it sour
Maybe more reliable Ajax fans had a reasonable opinion but Twitter fans were saying he makes big errors, wouldn’t cut it in the Prem. It was discussed a fair bit on here I remember. I think it’s just sour fans when a player is moving on.

Duffy had bad reviews. Hunemier “wouldn’t handle the physical English leagues”. Upson & Bridge were “past it”. All proved to be decent. Obviously any negative reviews on these are from a select group of fans that don’t represent the whole, but I’m just saying I’ll trust the coaches if they want the player in question.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
The fact he isn't an obviously top tier defender suggests to me we might also be after another LCB. There's been plenty suggested on here- Hincapie, Medina, Theat etc. And the timing of this suggests that we'd still sign Colwill if he asks for a transfer etc. I wouldn't be surprised if we spend 30 million plus on a young LCB because it's patently obvious how important that position is to RDZ. This signing just feels like an opportunity to get in some strength in depth at a decent price.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
I wonder if Ed Turns is potentially the longer term answer to the LCB spot, but still considered a year or two away.

In any case, living in the now, seems like this one is nearly done, so welcome Igor!

The general consensus I’ve read is that he was great the season before last and had endless brain farts last season which led to him not being viewed so favourably. Let’s hope those can be ironed out of his game, considering the high risk football we play in defence.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
You’re believing online fans opinion of his ability ahead of our recruitment team?
I tend to always rely quite heavily on what opposing fans think of a player we buy. I think most of the time it gives an indication of how good the player is.

This looks like quite a good article from 2 seasons ago. Lot of potential there but he has to push on.

Positionally poor and woeful in the air. But he does seem to have the raw ingredients to be ok. He sounds a little bit like bernado to me. This is not a signing that will excite but in the grand scheme of things will be a useful squad player hopefully.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We've had plenty of players over the years join us where fans of their previous team have said the player is terrible and glad he's leaving, only for him to join us and be brilliant. When players are half out the doors you always get a load of fans saying 'well he was rubbish anyway'. We were told Joel Veltman was a terrible player who made loads of costly mistakes, but with us he's Mr Reliable. If we're in for this Igor Julio guy then I will trust the coaches opinion.

Luckily NSC has always had an inside track from (gloomy) ITK folk with brother-in-laws embedded within clubs across Europe … who helpfully tell us that new signings are rubbish.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Don't agree with the Veltamn one. Know a few Ajax fans and they all said he was Mr Dependable , always 8/10

Out of interest , who have we had that other fans have said are terrible and turned out to be brilliant . Shane Duffy springs to mind but I think he was highly regarded at Blackburn until he turned it sour

There was poster who claimed he had special Ajax connections, apparently they were pleased to see the back of a poor player.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

In the current squad, Jason Steele, and at a stretch Welbeck, who was supposedly only going to play 3 times a season.
I think I recall some surprise at the fee of £3M for Gross in Germany, seen as a bit excessive at the time by pundits over there.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The German biomedical sciences literature is a clusterfuck.
'22665,5,
How many is that, then? f*** knows. And I am editor in chief of a biomed sci journal. Shoot me now!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports