Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Igor Julio - SINGS for 4 years!

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
We’ll want him in for as much of pre season as possible. He’s only got a year of his contract left so Fiorentina will be keen to get the deal done ASAP I assume.
For all the Colwill noise, this one seems more realistic.
Him at LCB, Holm at RB and a replacement DM destroyer if Caicedo goes. Transfer activity then all done?

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
We’ll want him in for as much of pre season as possible. He’s only got a year of his contract left so Fiorentina will be keen to get the deal done ASAP I assume.
Him at LCB, Holm at RB and a replacement DM destroyer if Caicedo goes. Transfer activity then all done?

The rumours about Kudus and Palmer suggest a left footed attacking midfielder is also of interest.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I just don't know if RDZ wants a destroyer you know. He didn't really have one at Sassuoulo. He had Francesco Magnanelli with Locatelli and then Lopez.
I wouldn't call any of them destructive. Much more about interceptions, positional play, blocks etc.
We've seen that with his tendency to play Gross there. Gross has the intelligence to get in the way, but he isn't going to slam through players.
I just don't think he values that. I think that's why there is legs in the Kudus rumours, with his ability to cover Solly and others a bonus. Think he just wants players in the middle with a combination of footballing intelligence and energy. Most important is the ability to follow his orders, beat the press, attack with pace (both with and without the ball) and use their own intelligence to problem solve.
I suspect our wish list beyond potential is a RB to genuinely compete with JV, an LCB, a utility defender that could cover CB and LB and one more CM.

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
LB cover. Estupinian was running on fumes by the end of last season.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I just don't know if RDZ wants a destroyer you know. He didn't really have one at Sassuoulo. He had Francesco Magnanelli with Locatelli and then Lopez.
I wouldn't call any of them destructive. Much more about interceptions, positional play, blocks etc.
We've seen that with his tendency to play Gross there. Gross has the intelligence to get in the way, but he isn't going to slam through players.
I just don't think he values that. I think that's why there is legs in the Kudus rumours, with his ability to cover Solly and others a bonus. Think he just wants players in the middle with a combination of footballing intelligence and energy. Most important is the ability to follow his orders, beat the press, attack with pace (both with and without the ball) and use their own intelligence to problem solve.
I suspect our wish list beyond potential is a RB to genuinely compete with JV, an LCB, a utility defender that could cover CB and LB and one more CM.
I get your view but slightly disagree.

Whilst I can see the likes of Groß, Gilmour and Dahoud getting the most game time this season, if/when Caicedo goes, it’s his position that will need to be replaced. That is very much a defensive midfielder role (but I accept that it’s only critical against when we face the elite teams). The role Moises carried out seemed to come with an opposition penalty area ban, when we attacked, it would often be himself and the two centre backs staying back. Caicedo is actually an astonishing box to box midfielder but we used him incredibly defensively (much like Bissouma) where some of his best attributes were clearly visible. His one touch passing is superb, he is strength is almost unrivalled in the EPL along with his dynamism and explosiveness. It’s the protection for the defence and ball winning expertise that made him so brilliant though. He covers so much ground quickly and effectively covering countless Estupiñán attacking endeavours.

I don’t think a ‘destroyer’ DM will necessarily be at the top of RDZ’s list (unlike the list of left footed players he obviously wants) but a player like Lavia (out of our budget now) would be a great option for when we play expansive teams and don’t dominate as much as the manager would like. I can see us signing someone to fill that gap.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I get your view but slightly disagree.

Whilst I can see the likes of Groß, Gilmour and Dahoud getting the most game time this season, if/when Caicedo goes, it’s his position that will need to be replaced. That is very much a defensive midfielder role (but I accept that it’s only critical against when we face the elite teams). The role Moises carried out seemed to come with an opposition penalty area ban, when we attacked, it would often be himself and the two centre backs staying back. Caicedo is actually an astonishing box to box midfielder but we used him incredibly defensively (much like Bissouma) where some of his best attributes were clearly visible. His one touch passing is superb, he is strength is almost unrivalled in the EPL along with his dynamism and explosiveness. It’s the protection for the defence and ball winning expertise that made him so brilliant though. He covers so much ground quickly and effectively covering countless Estupiñán attacking endeavours.

I don’t think a ‘destroyer’ DM will necessarily be at the top of RDZ’s list (unlike the list of left footed players he obviously wants) but a player like Lavia (out of our budget now) would be a great option for when we play expansive teams and don’t dominate as much as the manager would like. I can see us signing someone to fill that gap.
The hardest thing to replace is the combination of his mobility and his close control/passing. Most players are good at one or the other (eg Gilmour and Ali Mac have good control/passing but aren’t as mobile/dynamic as Moises). The only players I can think of who have been similar are Kante and Viera. That’s why Tony is right to (reportedly) value him at £100m. He’s close to irreplaceable.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Sounds good.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I think he’d be a good signing, but I just hope we aren’t being used as a Puppet by his agent to get a new deal.

We’re Running out of time before the season starts. We need the recruitment team to pull out a New magic wand and get some signings done.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Like the look of this lad, good price too. Including the sales and purchases from last season, we'll still be about £60m in the black on transfers if we get him in.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Decent age . Looks a unit . Couple of season in a decent league .
Highlights reel looks alright but then they always do . Would be happy with it based on the standard of league he’s ( I assume ) doing well in

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here