Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Igor Julio - SINGS for 4 years!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
From my (limited) understanding, he would have been sent off if it wasn't out the box (no double jeopardy rule).
If it had been a free kick there were covering defenders so it wouldn't have been a red card as it wasn't stopping a clear goal scoring opportunity/JPVH wasn't last man.

As it was a penalty and he didn't make any attempt to play the ball the double jeopardy rule doesn't come into effect so without covering defenders he would have been sent off.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
They were far more likely to score a penalty than the chance they had
Almost certainly, but JPVH would not have had nothing like the time to look and go through that thought process unlike us with the benefit of multiple replays etc - it was instinctive and understandable in the circumstances for me.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Worth chucking in that KdB's passing accuracy stats are way down the list. And that's because he doesn't play safe, and making ambitious passes is the norm for him. His assist and pre-assist stats are mightily impressive, on the other hand.
That hadn't occurred to me, and shows you do have to understand the data and what can influence it.

I saw that at club level the passes are split into short, medium and long passes, giving added granularity, but the total passing accuracy would still be skewed. I couldn't find that split at individual player level, but that doesn't mean it isn't there - I probably missed it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That hadn't occurred to me, and shows you do have to understand the data and what can influence it.

I saw that at club level the passes are split into short, medium and long passes, giving added granularity, but the total passing accuracy would still be skewed. I couldn't find that split at individual player level, but that doesn't mean it isn't there - I probably missed it.
Collected stats used by the clubs are short, medium, long - plus things like live, deadball, throughball, cutback, progressive, basic, set piece/FK, 'key' passes.....and then direction.........and so on and so on........only the headline stuff is published hence '% completion' can be hugely misleading. A few public sites have a bit more detail - I quite like fbref.com which has a ton of stuff

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
If it had been a free kick there were covering defenders so it wouldn't have been a red card as it wasn't stopping a clear goal scoring opportunity/JPVH wasn't last man.

As it was a penalty and he didn't make any attempt to play the ball the double jeopardy rule doesn't come into effect so without covering defenders he would have been sent off.
I only saw the incident live, and from the south end of the WSU. My impression was that he was the last man, and there weren't covering defenders but, given that it was just an impression, I'm not going to claim that this was correct. This was the basis of the red card/double jeopardy claim. I'll have a look at MotD tomorrow and potentially the club highlights.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I only saw the incident live, and from the south end of the WSU. My impression was that he was the last man, and there weren't covering defenders but, given that it was just an impression, I'm not going to claim that this was correct. This was the basis of the red card/double jeopardy claim. I'll have a look at MotD tomorrow and potentially the club highlights.
I'm pretty much bang in line with the incident in WSL and thought the same but having now seen the highlights Igor was (as others have said) probably able to cover - but JPVH had to make that instinctive decision in a split-second without watching MOTD first

GallodiMare

Apr 14, 2023
Should Igor play left back this Saturday?
Since he is left footed, he could do it very well.
I'm surprised RDZ hasn't thought of this yet.
Maybe Igor lacks a bit of dynamics on the left side of the pitch. But it's all stuff you can work on in training.
His left foot is very "polite" and I like the way he tries to push forward whenever he can. Knowing that he has passing alternatives in his teammates who move away (set free) in front of him.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Since he is left footed, he could do it very well.
I'm surprised RDZ hasn't thought of this yet.
Maybe Igor lacks a bit of dynamics on the left side of the pitch. But it's all stuff you can work on in training.
His left foot is very "polite" and I like the way he tries to push forward whenever he can. Knowing that he has passing alternatives in his teammates who move away (set free) in front of him.
He has definitely played left back at times this season. Off the top of my head I think he finished the Fulham as left back after we started with a back 3, but went to a back four for the last 20 mins. Everton he came on for the last few mins and played left back and he may have played the at least part of the game against Sheffield United there as well as Dunk was injured and we started with JPVH and Webster in the centre.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Good post, totally agree, although I didn't think he was that bad in his first game against AEK either. I'd have him in ahead of JPVH too. He got Van Hecke out of some sticky situations last night and on Sunday, he's a much calmer presence too.

Love it when he strides forward, he uses the ball so well. Always gets a great response from the crowd too!
Agree entirely.

He is good on the ball as well.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
MOM for me last night with JH slightly behind. For Saturday, it's Dunk and Igor in the middle of defence. JPVH seems to me always to have a mistake in him. There was the penalty last night but that came about because he gave the Brentford player far too much room.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Almost certainly, but JPVH would not have had nothing like the time to look and go through that thought process unlike us with the benefit of multiple replays etc - it was instinctive and understandable in the circumstances for me.
To some extent yes, but isn't that sort of thing what separates good from average players?

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Always looks good, imagine he's another one who will really become a star in his 2nd season if not before. Growing with every start.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here