Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ifill move to Wellington confirmed

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Spiller sounds good so I'd rather have him signed up. We need more central midfielders.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
If you were a semi talented footballer capable of playing in at least league one, would you go to flippin New Zealand to work?!! Talk about ending your career. He must be being paid very very well.

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
If you were a semi talented footballer capable of playing in at least league one, would you go to flippin New Zealand to work?!! Talk about ending your career. He must be being paid very very well.

Why not? He knows exactly what he will get at Brighton, certainly nothing new. A this stage of his career I can see the appeal of a fresh start in a new country. I would do exactly the same.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Why not? He knows exactly what he will get at Brighton, certainly nothing new. A this stage of his career I can see the appeal of a fresh start in a new country. I would do exactly the same.

It's a dead end move though. Say it doesn't work out at Wellington. He could've completed screwed his career over. Cough *BECKHAM* Cough, anyone?

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
To be honest we have probably dodged a bullet there. Good luck to him but I reckon as well as these trialists Slade has proper signings lined up.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Word to the wise fellahs, Wellington actually play in the (Australian) A-League which is good enough for Lloyd Owuzu, Paul Reid, Robbie Fowler, Chris Coyne, Jason Culina and Andy Todd, plus as Wellington's "marquee player" he will earn truck loads more than he would have for the albeit worthier cause of the mighty Albion this coming season, and ahve a blast being treated as superstar.... It's all relative really.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Word to the wise fellahs, Wellington actually play in the (Australian) A-League which is good enough for Lloyd Owuzu, Paul Reid, Robbie Fowler, Chris Coyne, Jason Culina and Andy Todd, plus as Wellington's "marquee player" he will earn truck loads more than he would have for the albeit worthier cause of the mighty Albion this coming season, and ahve a blast being treated as superstar.... It's all relative really.

" Paul Ifill ", " marquee player " .
Never thought I'd see those words together in the same sentence .
Not even in this neck of the woods .

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm sure he would also factor in quality of life, cost of living, tax, etc.

Yes in an ideal world every footballer would play for the best team he had the talent to get into, but in the real world, football is also a job, a short term job, so it becomes about earning as much as you can as quickly as you can.

There's also some of the right wing attitude about broken britain and over crowding of immigrants, and over taxing of hardworking folks etc. that make life in the antipodes quite appealing to some people.

Kick Ass Minton

Brooklynite
Oct 8, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
I'm sure he would also factor in quality of life, cost of living, tax, etc.

Yes in an ideal world every footballer would play for the best team he had the talent to get into, but in the real world, football is also a job, a short term job, so it becomes about earning as much as you can as quickly as you can.

There's also some of the right wing attitude about broken britain and over crowding of immigrants, and over taxing of hardworking folks etc. that make life in the antipodes quite appealing to some people.

:clap::clap::clap:

Totally agree - any chance you can find a job for me down under ? :drink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here