Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] IFA Help

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Actual external and payroll costs, or charged time?

Actual costs. We measured the time spent on an average DB case by the adviser and support staff and the external costs as a third party is used to prepare something called a “Transfer Value Analysis”.

Typically the cases we advised on were £500k plus so as a percentage the costs were not disproportionate. However, as mentioned above, fees are no longer contingent on the transfer proceeding so clients can face a hefty fee for being told not to do anything. Whilst the reasoning is understandable (i.e. advisers not being incentivised to advise clients to transfer just to generate a fee) the result is fewer people prepared to take advice in this area.

It remains the case that the starting point is “it is not in your interest to transfer out of a DB scheme” so perhaps it’s not a bad thing that less people are considering doing so.

Taking the OP’s sister in law’s case for example, £2k p.a or £63k transfer sounds like a no brainer. If, however, she wanted to use her personal pension to buy annuity of £2k pa (to match the DB scheme it would have a spouses pension and probably RPI increases) it would probably cost c£90k so is it such a clear cut decision? Without any extenuating circumstances the advice would almost certainly be don’t transfer it.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Taking the OP’s sister in law’s case for example, £2k p.a or £63k transfer sounds like a no brainer. If, however, she wanted to use her personal pension to buy annuity of £2k pa (to match the DB scheme it would have a spouses pension and probably RPI increases) it would probably cost c£90k so is it such a clear cut decision? Without any extenuating circumstances the advice would almost certainly be don’t transfer it.

It is a no brainer. She has no desire whatsoever to buy an annuity, indeed what fool does?

For the past 10 years the investments she has been in have never returned less than 3.5% and generally much higher. So she can maintain her capital and generate a larger income than is being offerred ... when he passes away she has a pot of cash that can be passed on and doesn't die with her

Sorry but this daft situation was created by two, maybe three things

1) Rogue IFA's (and a lot of them) advising people to come out of DB schemes, into 'risky' investments but making a very nice commission thank you
2) Ill considered pension freedom that either allowed a swathe of financially ill disciplined to draw and irresponsibly spunk their money away
or
3) An out of touch regulator putting in daft controls to stop 2 above occurring but penalised the sensible (my s-i-l amongst others)

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
It is a no brainer. She has no desire whatsoever to buy an annuity, indeed what fool does?

For the past 10 years the investments she has been in have never returned less than 3.5% and generally much higher. So she can maintain her capital and generate a larger income than is being offerred ... when he passes away she has a pot of cash that can be passed on and doesn't die with her

Sorry but this daft situation was created by two, maybe three things

1) Rogue IFA's (and a lot of them) advising people to come out of DB schemes, into 'risky' investments but making a very nice commission thank you
2) Ill considered pension freedom that either allowed a swathe of financially ill disciplined to draw and irresponsibly spunk their money away
or
3) An out of touch regulator putting in daft controls to stop 2 above occurring but penalised the sensible (my s-i-l amongst others)

I was explaining how our regulator sees it and how we are expected to look at cases.

You are right, this has been bought about by the reasons given, although I think the pension freedoms are generally a good idea and most sensible people use them well.

I don’t think the guidance is going to change anytime soon.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I was explaining how our regulator sees it and how we are expected to look at cases.

You are right, this has been bought about by the reasons given, although I think the pension freedoms are generally a good idea and most sensible people use them well.

I don’t think the guidance is going to change anytime soon.

The freedoms are good, it's just a pity that they then have to penalise those that know how to act responsibly

I agree totally, there's nobody with the inclination to introduce a more flexible approach, (it will remain in the 'too difficult' / 'can't be bothered' pile for evermore) and we're left with the usual blunt instrument

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
The freedoms are good, it's just a pity that they then have to penalise those that know how to act responsibly

I agree totally, there's nobody with the inclination to introduce a more flexible approach, (it will remain in the 'too difficult' / 'can't be bothered' pile for evermore) and we're left with the usual blunt instrument

I’ve asked a mate of mine, another IFA but closer to you, if he knows anyone that would be able to help. Will let you know

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I’ve asked a mate of mine, another IFA but closer to you, if he knows anyone that would be able to help. Will let you know

Cheers, no expectation of course but it's good of you to try to help ..... apol's for the rants too :annoyed:

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Cheers, no expectation of course but it's good of you to try to help ..... apol's for the rants too :annoyed:

He’s come back to me and no positive news I’m afraid. Their minimum is £150k and he doesn’t know anyone else who would do it. Sorry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here