Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Still confident that there are two wingers and another striker yet to arrive.

Confident we'll have a more than decent squad. Just remains to be seen what the manager can get out of them.

You said it when discussing Baldock, but why are you thinking of another striker? I'm of the view that CH will largely rotate Hemed, Baldock and Zamora up-front, and only playing two up-top for some (perhaps half?) of the time. At the moment, fourth choice will be O'Grady, but would hope that one of -- or, if we're dreaming, both of -- Harper and Hambo come through as fourth choice. Then Colunga's still here, for the moment.
I really can't see us getting another striker in, definitely while Colunga's here, and probably even if he goes. I could even see COG off on loan if Harper is as good as we hope him to be, come January or other loan windows.
I'd also much rather we spent the money on two quality wingers, rather than compromising that by adding another forward.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You said it when discussing Baldock, but why are you thinking of another striker? I'm of the view that CH will largely rotate Hemed, Baldock and Zamora up-front, and only playing two up-top for some (perhaps half?) of the time. At the moment, fourth choice will be O'Grady, but would hope that one of -- or, if we're dreaming, both of -- Harper and Hambo come through as fourth choice. Then Colunga's still here, for the moment.
I really can't see us getting another striker in, definitely while Colunga's here, and probably even if he goes. I could even see COG off on loan if Harper is as good as we hope him to be, come January or other loan windows.
I'd also much rather we spent the money on two quality wingers, rather than compromising that by adding another forward.

We are discussing what we think is going to happen, rather than what I would do with the budget.

Hopefully any players that Hughton doesn't rate or isn't going to use significantly, will be eased out. Players that don't play are no use to anyone, they just hoover up resources and morale. So, IF they don't feature in his plans (regardless of whether I rate them) the likes of O'Grady, Colunga, Holla and Chicksen should be off.

Very loosely, there are three roles in our forward line (only two of which will feature each game).

1. Strong CF: win the ball, hold the ball, etc: Hemed, Bobby, (CoG), Hambo?
2. Quick CF: feed off 1, run in behind defences, finish: .........., Baldock
3. No.10 / Attacking mid: play behind 1, create chances: (Colunga), Harper?

There is an obvious lack of depth in role 2. The theoretical new striker is only worth adding if he is BETTER than Baldock, though. I believe he'll arrive and he will be.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
We had this exact thread after Leeds away last year - praising Burke etc... Let's just wait and see. The signs are promising again, but judge after 10 games. Bong was good the other night but everyone is judging him on one appearance - be cautious!

Boo. If you can't indulge some wildly misplaced and utterly delirious optimism at this point in the season then when can you? Down with the rational - give me the blue pill, Morpheus.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
We are discussing what we think is going to happen, rather than what I would do with the budget.

Hopefully any players that Hughton doesn't rate or isn't going to use significantly, will be eased out. Players that don't play are no use to anyone, they just hoover up resources and morale. So, IF they don't feature in his plans (regardless of whether I rate them) the likes of O'Grady, Colunga, Holla and Chicksen should be off.

Very loosely, there are three roles in our forward line (only two of which will feature each game).

1. Strong CF: win the ball, hold the ball, etc: Hemed, Bobby, (CoG), Hambo?
2. Quick CF: feed off 1, run in behind defences, finish: .........., Baldock
3. No.10 / Attacking mid: play behind 1, create chances: (Colunga), Harper?

There is an obvious lack of depth in role 2. The theoretical new striker is only worth adding if he is BETTER than Baldock, though. I believe he'll arrive and he will be.

If better than Baldock, that means serious money (on wages, at the very least). Can't see it myself. Not that I disagree much with what you've said, although we'll be lucky to get rid of that lot in three weeks.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I never get carried away. Very much a realist in terms of what we can achieve year on year.

Right now, I'd say top 4, couple more in and I can't see anything other than the trophy being paraded down Madeira Drive May 2016. Got to be realistic about these things right! :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here