Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If you're Potter OUT, what would it take for you to change your mind?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Those performances at home to Bournemouth & Cardiff were just horrific. The players’ minds and confidence had gone, we just looked like we’d forgotten how to maintain possession and play any sort of attacking football allied to awful defending.

Contrast that with our game against Sheff Utd at home under Potter. The amount of chances we created was amazing. Swap Connolly or Maupay for Ings and you’re looking at a 4-1 win, we created that many big chances.

I assume Bloom is hoping we’ll finish chances prior to to January the 31st, if not, we’ll be spending £20m-£30m on a player who can take the majority of big chances presented.

I think Maupay, Welbeck, Connolly, Zeqiri & Tau have 4 fixtures to prove they can put the ball in the back of the net. If not, they’ll be replaced sooner or later.
Considering Bloom is a fan of the money ball system surely he knew in the summer what was missing, from reading between the lines did Potter spite himself and say we didn’t need a striker? he mentioned he turned down some potential signings in the summer.

super ads

Jul 14, 2009
Firstly i want to watch a match feeling like we might score some goals. I'm convinced the lack of goals is down to the way he wants the players to play and them loosing their confidence as a result of this.

I wouldn't even mind some 2-3, 2-4 or 3-4 defeats. I just want to believe that we can score some goals.

At the moment i don't expect us to score, and i always expect the defence to have a ricket and let one in. As soon as the opposition score i don't have faith we can turn it around.

You do realise we are about half way up the goals scored chart?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
A few wins would help.

Not many, just a few. Just enough

It’s not a match day, come back tomorrow at around 5pm

Am really jealous actually, imagine knowing you are certain to be “entertained” tomorrow regardless of the result! Absolute bliss

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Considering Bloom is a fan of the money ball system surely he knew in the summer what was missing, from reading between the lines did Potter spite himself and say we didn’t need a striker? he mentioned he turned down some potential signings in the summer.

That’s getting far fetched.

Potter is just 1/5 of the transfers quintet with TB/PB/DA/PW. TB/DA strategically are trying to turn the club into breaking even (with fees and player wages being THE cost). Spending just £1m last summer where other clubs ignored the impact of the pandemic.

Potter’s obviously a positive person, he doesn’t play politics, whine or go the media. So if TB was reining in expenditure, I think GP would simply agree and be positive in working with the squad he has.

I cannot see the others saying this quality striker is available and Potter rejecting it. Why would he do that?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
That’s getting far fetched.

Potter is just 1/5 of the transfers quintet with TB/PB/DA/PW. TB/DA strategically are trying to turn the club into breaking even (with fees and player wages being THE cost). Spending just £1m last summer where other clubs ignored the impact of the pandemic.

Potter’s obviously a positive person, he doesn’t play politics, whine or go the media. So if TB was reining in expenditure, I think GP would simply agree and be positive in working with the squad he has.

I cannot see the others saying this quality striker is available and Potter rejecting it. Why would he do that?
Might be wrong I thought we spent £10m on the Poles

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Nothing. Nothing could. To do so, would be to admit I'm wrong.
And that's not happening

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Probably the fifth time in recent times this oddball has replied to my posts with some dribble about Irish people. Generally people these days make a bit more of an effort to hide their bigotry but he's old school

wow! so every irish kid is the next georgey best, but everyone else is shitehouse?

that is racism.

you and [MENTION=33329]Jolly Red Giant[/MENTION] should have a little chat about your prejudices to see if you both can move forward in a less obnoxious manner

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Considering Bloom thought Hughton was putting our PL status at risk god knows what’s going through his head now. I understood it as he needs the club to stay up all costs otherwise he has to dip his pocket again for the missing £25m a season in the championship.

I’m surprised at the lax attitude by some about relegation could set us back years.

set us bck years from what, exactly?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Am really jealous actually, imagine knowing you are certain to be “entertained” tomorrow regardless of the result! Absolute bliss

It’s a state of mind as I have been entertained (although often disappointed) in nearly every game for a season and a half regardless of the result :shrug:

I don’t fight it either :wink:

You do know that it’s OK to make positive posts about the Albion occasionally don’t you? Try it :smile:

Last edited:

wow! so every irish kid is the next georgey best, but everyone else is shitehouse?

that is racism.

you and [MENTION=33329]Jolly Red Giant[/MENTION] should have a little chat about your prejudices to see if you both can move forward in a less obnoxious manner

Creepy racist post number 6 from NSC’s top bigot at the moment

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
set us bck years from what, exactly?

From reaching top 10 on the field. Of the field it sets us back years from being sustainable. The Championship might be a fantastic league to play in but its not good financially.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Good thread.

I’m pretty despondent by how we’re doing at the moment. I’m on the Potter out side but absolutely see the arguments and vision for him staying. I tend to think that they need to win one of Leeds or Fulham to give me some hope that we will stay up although some will say he should stay even if this doesn’t happen.

For the record, I was pleased when he was appointed and think he had a good first season. Yes it was our highest ever points return but we threw a lot of points away and think Hughton’s promotion and staying up in the first season were greater achievements. I was really looking forward to this season and hoped we would progress further fully knowing this isn’t a given in the Premier league.

I’ll start with the positive. I love the way we play out from the back and get the ball up the pitch with ease against anyone. I like how I know we can give most a game. It’s one of the hardest things to do in football and we’re much better than Newcastle, Burnely or even Palace (minus counter attacking) at it. The positives tend to end there now though.

Never feel that we won’t concede and we’re a soft touch

When (if) we score, it is almost certain that we will concede no matter how strong a position we are in. The West Ham game is a case in point. We score just before on time and are on top against a poorly picked and performing West Ham team. Frustratingly, we don’t show the desire and tactics to keep the ball out and we couldn’t defend set pieces – the most obvious root back in to the game for them. It’s apparent in every game bar Newcastle: Wolves – Burns own goal. March casually jogs out to close down Neto who cuts obviously on his left foot. Arsenal – Burn had to foul there. Newport etc etc

Attacking
Much discussed on this board! It’s been a glaring problem for years and the club/recruitment or Potter are at fault for this. We would be so much more comfortable with some conviction in the penalty area.

Lack of nous and game management
We absolutely never do the dirty parts of the game. We are never in the ref’s ear (I realise this is less of a thing now with VAR) or getting into the opponent’s head. Now I’m not advocating a Sam Allardyce team but we’ve lost people on the team who knew how to manage a game – Stephens, Murray, Duffy, Ryan. Agree to them moving on but shouldn’t have to be a detriment to what they offer in game management. I watched the last 5-10 minutes of Arsenal Palace the other night. Arsenal were pushing for a win. Palace though, to their begrudging credit, know how to take the sting out of a game or momentum. Take their time, kick the ball away, niggly fouls. Arsenal didn’t even get the ball in Palace’s area the whole time. Masterful. Us the night beforehand however – 1 minute before half time. We’ve been playing the ball out from the back well despite a few hairy moments. We’d be struggling in the last few attempts at it and City were pushing hard and really putting us under pressure. Surely we could have done a Palace: take our time, hit it long and make sure we don’t concede before half time. Not us though. Pay it out meekly and under pressure and they score a reasonably soft goal from Webster’s and Sanchez’s perspective.

Our record
Only 2 wins all season. That’s terrible. Leeds, much derided on here and with weaker PL standard players have won 7) . 1 home win in a calender year. That’s embarrassing. We’ve failed to beat Sheffield United, WBA, Burnley, Newcastle, Palace, Villa, Southampton and Wolves at home in this time. Surprised with how many are accepting of this.

Many players have gone backwards
Trossard, Ryan, Connelly (yes he’s young), Dunk, Maupay, Bernardo have all got worse which is concerning. Burn has got worse after his emergence. Yes Potter will point to improving Bissouma and Lamptey and I’m sure he’s had an input as any manager would but they’ve got that much raw talent I think they would have succeeded anywhere. Besides to the fans who say it’s not Potter’s fault players can’t take their chances, it also not down to Potter that Bissouma is so strong and athletic (big part of his game) or that Lamptey is so quick. You can’t have it both ways.

Our signings lack pace, power or ability to take players on

Our team would be so much better if we had this. Bar Lamptey that’s all we’ve got. We’re a collection of nice footballers playing it up the pitch nicely and confidently but slowly. The recruitment and Potter (he’s had 3 transfer windows) are responsible for this.

We play 4-5 centre backs every game
On top of this 9-10 of our players favourite position is centrally. That said we do play with width so this is a mute point. There’s a lot of talk here about ‘Potter’s picks’ but he almost always starts with 3 centre back and plays two more centre backs somewhere.

Potter’s team selection
Too many changes and players playing in 2, 3 or 4 positions over the space of a few weeks. Surely we need a bit more consistency. Much discussed but that Arsenal team selection was an absolute disgrace. We didn’t have to be so weakened and galling to think he had McCallister and Jahanbaksh upfront at home in a winnable game.

Potter’s demeanour
This will be labelled as personal and that’s fair enough. I find him quite painful to hear from. Never says anything out of the ordinary or controversial. Now I don’t definetly don’t want a Mourinho or Dyche and I like the class he shows but I would like him to call out injustices or good individual performances. It’s all a bit contrived, rehearsed and well boring. I know he’s an educated fella and some of the questions and media duties are tiring but come on. I’d love to do it! On the touchline, it’s much the same. I get that modern players don’t always respond to a bollocking but everyone does to some extent. Some of the things that players do isn’t ****ing good enough. Take March coming on as sub V City and completely wasting 2 corners against City in the last minute being as a prime example. Mediocrity seems to be accepted. When someone does show some personality and fight like Maupay he’s ousted for a game or two.

Anyway, I could go on. People in favour of Potter may tell me to shut up or ‘why do you watch us if you’ve nothing good to say?’ (I’ve got loads to say and we have been easily one of the best teams to support in this country since I started in 1990) or that TB is thinking long term so why can’t you. Bloom can do what he wants and he’s the reason we’re in the PL.

We’re not far away. A result could change a lot. I’ve just been gutted watching us always being the bridesmaid when it doesn’t have to be like that. A few wins and we could stay up, but since Arsenal, I don’t think it will happen. I so hope I’m wrong and what a better way than to get it started than but beating Leeds.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here