Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If your child is fat then simple: you are a bad parent!

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Sorry, but there's truth in that in 99% of cases.

There is nothing good about letting a kid get fat. As a parent, it is your responsibility to ensure that doesn't happen.

Sorry but whats your 99% based on on ? Which medical book did you read this ?
You are very very wrong anyway, I've dealt with kids who have been overweight in my line of work in a kids hospital.
Maybe you should think before making sweepping statements like that.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Firstly I do not accept that there is an obesity epidemic, if so then there must have been one throughout my lifetime.

It seems there are quangos and unelected groups having a field day in the research area at present, always a matter of scale when commenting on the general population of millions.

No problem with getting any information out there but then leave well alone, it isnt for the state or anyone else impinging on peoples lifechoices if they do not effect others, I hear the NHS this and the NHS that bull, but if you care about the NHS that much then there are far more controllables and policies that governments encourage that adversely effect out health service, but choose not to.

More fast food outlets might not necessarily mean more fast food consumed per person, it might but then again we grew up with fish and chips and pubs on each corner so come on, lazy parents if thats your conclusion might have been your Mum !!!

I agree with some of this and not others. Your first sentence is very odd. Are you really saying you can't see the rising obesity with your own eyes? Go to Chessington or Drusillas or any other theme park on any given summer's day and you will see a truly depressing number of fat people on a scale that simply didn't exist 30 years ago.

I'd also take issue with what you say about fish & chip shops and pubs. The mere existence of these places doesn't prove anything beyond the fact there was enough demand to keep them in business. I suspect battered fish contains a good deal less refined sugar and processed crap than your average product in the freezers of Iceland, and besides, most people never did live day-to-day dependent on the local chippy in the way that some depend on the utter rubbish available today.

I do however agree with you on the NHS and being wary of various health groups, sometimes acting in self interest.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Sorry but whats your 99% based on on ? Which medical book did you read this ?
You are very very wrong anyway, I've dealt with kids who have been overweight in my line of work in a kids hospital.
Maybe you should think before making sweepping statements like that.

Would you like me to replace 99% with the words "vast majority" so as not to offend people who are ridiculously literal like you?

Phat Baz 68

Apr 16, 2011
Would you like me to replace 99% with the words "vast majority" so as not to offend people who are ridiculously literal like you?

Not really but , try not to talk too much about things you quite obviously know sweet FA about

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Which one, the medical profession that encouraged smoking for myriad of respiratory conditions or the ones more recent .........................

When you say "more recent" there is no evidence of the medical profession encouraging smoking since about 1950. There's sixty years worth of evidence since then that cutting (and preventing people from) smoking improves public health. Unless you're going to tell me it's perfectly harmless.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Not really but , try not to talk too much about things you quite obviously know sweet FA about

You've posted 4,340 times on an Albion site. Do you have coaching badges or are you just as "clueless" as everybody else on here about the game?

Meanwhile, have a look a this website. Ten ways to prevent childhood obesity:

http://www.webmd.boots.com/diet/guide/how-prevent-childhood-obesity

How many cases can a renowned expert on child obesity such as yourself honestly think of where the parents have exhausted this list and the child remains obese?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
When you say "more recent" there is no evidence of the medical profession encouraging smoking since about 1950. There's sixty years worth of evidence since then that cutting (and preventing people from) smoking improves public health. Unless you're going to tell me it's perfectly harmless.

Nope, I or anyone within my family are smokers so I have no vested interest here.

I can only assume that smoking is harmful, however I would guess that at sometime in the future some qualified research might show that it probably is not as imminently deadly as we suppose today.

It was more of a comment on the medical profession and how current generations tend to make the mistake that we are always somehow at the pinnacle of that science today at this precise moment, which of course is wrong.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... Now that she's an adult she goes to Iceland whenever she gets paid, gets the cheapest shit imaginable and piles it in to a huge chest freezer, cooking double what she needs for every meal. I have seen her make her and her daughter a bacon sandwich for breakfast with the cheapest, saltiest, bacon going, and ten minutes later pour two enormous bowls of cereal and two massive cups of tea with four sugars. We've gone up before and got a takeaway and she's literally wanted to order fifty quids worth of Chinese for four of us.

there's some emphasis made on the location and implied quality of the food, but the bottom line is the quantity. its always the quantity. need to stop fussing too much over whats in the food and focus on not eating too much.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
Whilst there are obvious exceptions, most fat kids have parents who think giving them crisps and a Coke and telling them to sit in front of the tv is 'parenting'.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I agree with some of this and not others. Your first sentence is very odd. Are you really saying you can't see the rising obesity with your own eyes? Go to Chessington or Drusillas or any other theme park on any given summer's day and you will see a truly depressing number of fat people on a scale that simply didn't exist 30 years ago.

I'd also take issue with what you say about fish & chip shops and pubs. The mere existence of these places doesn't prove anything beyond the fact there was enough demand to keep them in business. I suspect battered fish contains a good deal less refined sugar and processed crap than your average product in the freezers of Iceland, and besides, most people never did live day-to-day dependent on the local chippy in the way that some depend on the utter rubbish available today.

I do however agree with you on the NHS and being wary of various health groups, sometimes acting in self interest.

Well I never go to Chessington or Drusillas and after confirmation of loads fat kids I shall stay well away :)

Its an honest observation when I say I go into schools throughout Sussex and I can honestly say I do not see the gaggle of these obese pupils, of course some exist but to me doesnt seem to be very many at all, I shall discreetly ask my wife to take a passive visual look at her class and I shall report back to the obesity 'problem', how many would you say constitutes an epidemic out of say 30 pupils ?

The fish & chips was in response to an earlier comment about the burgeoning amount of take aways, so of course I accept there is a greater choice and it might be an indication of a greater demand, but generally if I drove past my local fish & chip shop, Dominoes, Curry House, Chinese, Kebab House, Subway etc at say 6 o'clock this evening I dont think they will be full of feckless mothers being fat and lazy, it is more likely to be you, me or our mates coming home from work or a supper after the pubs close.

I just think its a misrepresentation driven by the same people (type) that championed ban smoking, ban sugar, ban fats and they will come after me and you soon too.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
there's some emphasis made on the location and implied quality of the food, but the bottom line is the quantity. its always the quantity. need to stop fussing too much over whats in the food and focus on not eating too much.
I agree with this. However, the importance of promoting healthier foods is that they tend to be far more filling than unhealthy ones. For example: I could easily eat 4 slices of buttered white toast and marmite in the morning - about 500-600 calories. Whereas eating the equivalent calories in porridge - about 3 bowls - would be almost impossible.

Phat Baz 68

Apr 16, 2011
You've posted 4,340 times on an Albion site. Do you have coaching badges or are you just as "clueless" as everybody else on here about the game?

Meanwhile, have a look a this website. Ten ways to prevent childhood obesity:

http://www.webmd.boots.com/diet/guide/how-prevent-childhood-obesity

How many cases can a renowned expert on child obesity such as yourself honestly think of where the parents have exhausted this list and the child remains obese?

Actually I do have Level 1&2 and I have managed 5 footy teams and your next ridiculous question is ?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Hardly any fat kids over here. My high school has over a thousand kids and there are probably about 5 or 6 fatties out of that lot. For some reason they are all girls.

Perhaps not specifically relevant to your case but restaurants, schools etc. give the same portions to everyone. But typically women need 1/5th less calories than men, so they can end up eating a huge amount more than they need just by eating what they're given. It's probably the same at home too, do NSC's foodies give women less than men?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Utter garbage.

Eat a lot of low fat protein with fruit and vegetables and low GI carbs and you'll put on weight much more slowly than if you eat the same amount of Iceland Pizzas and fried MRM

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Utter garbage.

Eat a lot of low fat protein with fruit and vegetables and low GI carbs and you'll put on weight much more slowly than if you eat the same amount of Iceland Pizzas and fried MRM
I don't think it's garbage. The protein and low GI carbs will fill you far more and keep you fuller longer than the earing the equivalent calories in pizzas and fried crap. This means you'll eat far fewer calories, which is the key to weight loss.

You can't break the first law of thermodynamics.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here