Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If you were Graham Potter would you have offered Bruno and Roberts a job to come with you

If you were GP would you have taken Bruno and Roberts with you

• Total voters

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Turns out it’s not one person’s opinion and that one person was getting flak on another thread, so yeah

Fair enough but I would have thought it was pretty obvious, collective coaching team performs boss wants to bring them the collective with them.

In what possible universe would Potter think oh I best not ask Bruno or Ben as their Tones boys.

How do you think they both would have felt if he hadn’t asked, a bit of a smack in the face wouldn’t you say.

To end, he asked and has every right and reason to and they made an informed decision to accept.

It’s leaves us in a mess sure but people are acting like Bruno or Roberts don’t have a right to be ambitious either

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
What may have been a fairer solution would be to offer them a role to start in three or four months, after a new manager was hired and the new set-up at Chelski was bedded in. Though not sure how we could have kept Bruno and Roberts motivated to coach for Brighton in the meantime in that scenario.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
What may have been a fairer solution would be to offer them a role to start in three or four months, after a new manager was hired and the new set-up at Chelski was bedded in. Though not sure how we could have kept Bruno and Roberts motivated to coach for Brighton in the meantime in that scenario.

Clean slate

They’ve all been given the option individually. No guarantee they would be needed by the new incoming manager and probably enjoy working collectively, in view it’s been a success

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

If Bruno went to Tony and said "so yeah I'll be working for Chelsea from December onwards but until then I'm staying here and taking charge" I struggle to see any other scenario than Tony telling him to **** right off.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This.

It's happened, and some posters need to get over it instead of coming across as being very bitter all the time.

You think NSC posters need to get over it - how about poor Chelsea supporters? 384 pages (mostly) bemoaning the sackng of Tuchel, and only 23 pages about their new manager (and many of those questionning the appointment!)
We're OK. #PrayforChelseafans!

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
If Bruno went to Tony and said "so yeah I'll be working for Chelsea from December onwards but until then I'm staying here and taking charge" I struggle to see any other scenario than Tony telling him to **** right off.

Have you thought of changing "Tony" to "us genuine supporters" on NSC saying the same to you ?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Have you thought of changing "Tony" to "us genuine supporters" on NSC saying the same to you ?

You might think you're all one entity sharing the exact same feelings and opinions, making you able to speak for everyone, but there's several people here who doesn't agree with you on the subject of me ****ing off or not. You'd realise that if your ego was smaller.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Ben Roberts yes, because it has been said so many times how well thought of he is a GK coach.

With Bruno, if im Potter I would maybe give Bruno the choice, but wouldnt necessarily be saying ''we need you with us''. Bruno is so early in his coaching career, being at Brighton was essentially where he was still learning his trade. Now he's at Chelsea, if they all get sacked in the next year, Bruno will find himself still a relatively inexperienced coach without a job, and his ties to Brighton cut. I think he would have been better off staying with us and continuing to learn his trade in an environment with less pressure.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Yes, of course. I would also tell Todd Boehly to bring in Paul Barber to run the club and appoint a Technical Director to oversee the football operations at the club.

I don't blame him for keeping his team together if he feels it is working how he wants it to, and all the evidence would suggest that it is. It's a real slap in our face, but that's football and it's exactly what we did to Swansea - although it was pre-season and in plenty of time in order to hire their new team. We're fortunate to have a lot of time to do the same, but that wasn't intentional on Chelsea's behalf.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
NO way. Have to have some principals in life. Take what you came with but dont leave the club that looked after you and gave you the chance in the poo with no training staff.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc

Plenty of professions work utilising interim or handover periods, but yes perhaps football is not one of them.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
If I were Graham Potter?

Well, he did, so clearly the answer is yes?

But yeah, if I was in the same position as Graham I'd do the same thing.

You and your colleagues are doing a great job and suddenly someone comes to offer unheard of riches and massive opportunities to win titles... Do I suddenly think its all about me and throw my hard working colleagues in the bin or do I ask if they as well want to reap the rewards of their hard and successful work? Naturally the latter as it would be a horrible thing not to.

Did Potter only have 2 hard working colleagues at Brighton?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Did Potter only have 2 hard working colleagues at Brighton?

No but I believe Björn, Billy, Bruno and Ben are the ones he has worked closest with for the longest amount of time :shrug:

Of course he could have asked the kit man, tea-lady, security guards, scouts, recruitment, Paul Barber and so forth if they wanted to tag along but it would probably be slightly impractical.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
At the end of the day, no one knows what conversations have and haven't taken place. I'm sure GP wanted all of them and got them. What we don't know is whether Bruno approached TB or PB and said he had been offered a job but what guarantees can they give him when a new coach is employed. If they couldn't assure him the new coach wouldn't bring his own team then if Bruno didn't take the Chelsea job he could be out of work in a few weeks.

Fact is none of actually know what's been said.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
No but I believe Björn, Billy, Bruno and Ben are the ones he has worked closest with for the longest amount of time :shrug:

Of course he could have asked the kit man, tea-lady, security guards, scouts, recruitment, Paul Barber and so forth if they wanted to tag along but it would probably be slightly impractical.

Well, I'm sure if he'd asked he'd have got them. My point is while you argue it would have been a horrible thing to do not to invite Bruno and Ben along for the ride, there's only two of them. He's done a horrible thing to many, many more hard working colleagues at Brighton by doing what he did, particularly the players, who it is really all about. They're the ones who work hard running around the pitch, trying to score goals, which makes us all happy. Poor Billy Gilmour, for example, a young lad trying to get his career back on track, looking forward to playing for a gifted manager, who just ****s off with not a care in the world and not a thought for the youngster. But who knows really. Maybe they all knew he was a deceiving **** anyway and were glad to see the back of him. But saying all that, it's not so much the ill timed ****ing off which was always going to happen sooner or later, but would have been understandable and acceptable, it's the personnel poaching on the way out. Unforgivable. You can be the pragmatist about this, but to me it's a clear case of right and wrong, and he did wrong.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
If I were Graham Potter?

Well, he did, so clearly the answer is yes?

But yeah, if I was in the same position as Graham I'd do the same thing.

You and your colleagues are doing a great job and suddenly someone comes to offer unheard of riches and massive opportunities to win titles... Do I suddenly think its all about me and throw my hard working colleagues in the bin or do I ask if they as well want to reap the rewards of their hard and successful work? Naturally the latter as it would be a horrible thing not to.

So Potter stole Bruno and Roberts out of pure altruism , BS , HE needed them to help HIM succeed , Ben and Bruno were with us 7 years before he came to The Albion ,they were OUR staff , not a part of his original unit .

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
No I would not.

I have integrity and honesty and value what others have done for me.

I'm not a money grabbing, mercenary Judas who stabs his own boss in the back and the tens of thousands of people who supported me by totally destroying the infrastructure of the company who gave me such a lot.

Loyalty is a word total alien to Potter and the money grabbers.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The only way this is a positive is if Barber actually told Bruno to go so he can learn how to be Potter II in the future.

I doubt that happened.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
So Potter stole Bruno and Roberts out of pure altruism , BS , HE needed them to help HIM succeed , Ben and Bruno were with us 7 years before he came to The Albion ,they were OUR staff , not a part of his original unit .

No not out of pure altruism, of course he needs/wants their help. But it would have been pretty bad style not ask them if they wanted to tag along.

Yes, Ben was a part of the Brighton staff, and before that he was part of the Charlton staff, and before that he was in Yeovil, and now he's part of the Chelsea staff.

As for Bruno he was indeed in Brighton for years, and before that he was in Valencia, where he moved from Almeria. He also spent years in Lleida and Espanyol, and now he'll work for Chelsea.

:shrug:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Well, I'm sure if he'd asked he'd have got them. My point is while you argue it would have been a horrible thing to do not to invite Bruno and Ben along for the ride, there's only two of them. He's done a horrible thing to many, many more hard working colleagues at Brighton by doing what he did, particularly the players, who it is really all about. They're the ones who work hard running around the pitch, trying to score goals, which makes us all happy. Poor Billy Gilmour, for example, a young lad trying to get his career back on track, looking forward to playing for a gifted manager, who just ****s off with not a care in the world and not a thought for the youngster. But who knows really. Maybe they all knew he was a deceiving **** anyway and were glad to see the back of him. But saying all that, it's not so much the ill timed ****ing off which was always going to happen sooner or later, but would have been understandable and acceptable, it's the personnel poaching on the way out. Unforgivable. You can be the pragmatist about this, but to me it's a clear case of right and wrong, and he did wrong.

“I’d love to come with you Boss”
“Sorry Bruno I’m making a moral decision on your behalf that you have to stay”
“But I’ve really enjoyed progressing under you?”
“Yeah but as much as I’d like you imagine what the judgemental fans would say, you need to stay mate”

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here