Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If you were Graham Potter and you were offered the Chelsea job would you take it?

If you were Graham Potter and you were offered the Chelsea job would you take it?

• Yes, all day long

Votes: 131 35.9%
  • No, I'm staying put for now

Votes: 234 64.1%

• Total voters

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Think it depends on how he finds the owners, I don't think he would do if it was still Abramovich (or someone similar).

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
The new owners are saying they want a long term plan and vision. Sounds like they could not get the ego out of the door quick enough. Sadly this makes it the perfect job for potter. Pretty gutted.

If that's true, and Potter senses that, then I think he will be gone :(

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
GP is in a unique situation here at the Albion.
He has a top notch chairman and chief exec, state of the art facilities, modest expectations that have allowed him the time to build a team and a squad playing football the way he wants them to, a hugely talented bunch of players brought to their current place by an intelligent mix of brilliant coaching, top class scouting and recruitment, and a team spirit that has been forged in adversity (ie battling relegation) and is now focused firmly upwards. We are now being held up as a 'model club' with a structure and system the envy of Europe.
I get that he's ambitious and wants to coach at the highest level.
I appreciate that a serious offer from the likes of Chelsea would be very tempting and offer a quick route to Champions League football.
But I think he likes to finish a project, and only looks to move for the next challenge when he's gone as far as he can.
I don't think he's finished with us. I don't think we've gone as far as we can.
And I think GP's values are different to many managers.
So I think he'll stay put and see if he can get us up around the top six - at least this season, if not one more.
Here's hoping :albion2:

I think we will go but as you say here it is a very very attractive job for a different manager!

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The new owners are saying they want a long term plan and vision. Sounds like they could not get the ego out of the door quick enough. Sadly this makes it the perfect job for potter. Pretty gutted.

Except what they say is different to what he does. The way he runs his baseball team is to just to spend the most. Given what he just spent seems he's employing the same strategy at Chelsea.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Dunno. If I was approached I’d definitely go and have a chat to see what they had to offer (I already know they’re paying much more), whether they were the kind of people I can work with and what their long term strategy and ambition was plus I’d do some research on the owners and their philosophy - wouldn’t want to dismiss it out of hand and piss them off as may be more appropriate for me next time the job comes up (probably in about a year). I’d then have to balance that against what I have now……..

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

If they didn’t say that (their actions suggest differently) he wouldn’t have even been prepared to have a chat.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
At Brighton Graham Potter's season hinges on whether one man - Danny Welbeck - stays fit. However, at Chelsea he has cover in every conceivable position.

A striker crisis for them is when they are reduced to just Aubameyang, Sterling and Broja, and the options for midfield goal support aren't March, Gross, Trossard and MacAllister but Mount, Havertz, Pulisic and Gallagher.

Any manager worth their salt would back themselves to win trophies with the squad they've assembled.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Only 2 of their previous 9 managers have lasted more than 12 months. That says everything you need to know about Chelsea.
Not in a million years would I leave a job where I was happy and given the freedom to manage as I see fit.
He will be working with big ego players and impatient owners at Chelsea, he won't be given the freedom to do his thing and he'll be sacked by the end of the season.
I'll genuinely be gutted if he moves on, a bigger loss than any of our players.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Bookmakers have Potter as 3 to 1 on to be Chelsea’s new manager!

The bookies do sometimes get these things wrong, let’s hope this is one of those times.

Of course much of the narrative is being pushed by Sky Sports and TalkSport - both tied in with Sky Bet.

They both have airtime to fill each day which can be repetitive and boring, so Chelsea sacking Tuchel is golden, Potter favourite is a great narrative with Brighton doing so well...

There's nothing to say Potter isn't third favourite behind Zidane and Poch. I wonder how headlines tie in with betting metrics today...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
[MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] will need a big hug today.

65C69BF7-25FA-4B26-9C8E-93EFD72E4806.gif

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Begrudgingly yes.

For those saying go to Chelsea and get sacked frustratingly Boehly has previous of backing an under performing coach with time and being rewarded. His other franchise The LA Dodgers finally won the World Series in 2020 at the fourth time of asking for the coach amid calls for him to be sacked.

I suspect this is frankly a done deal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here