[Albion] If you were Graham Potter and you were offered the Chelsea job would you take it?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you were Graham Potter and you were offered the Chelsea job would you take it?

• Yes, all day long

Votes: 131 35.9%
  • No, I'm staying put for now

Votes: 234 64.1%

• Total voters

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Exactly this. Unless those saying he will definitely go if offered the job are inside his mind then no one knows. If he is happy, stable, enjoying the challenge here and isn't motivated by money he might well stay. If he fancies a new challenge and a risk, higher stakes and a huge pay rise then he'll go. Not everyone is motivated by money and promotion.

I doubt any football manager in the PL is not motivated by money !

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
If it were me I’d be thinking I need to take this project as far as I can before taking the top rung job

Get bha into europe and a Liverpool type job may well be on offer

He’s proved his. Ility but still not a achieved Anything remarkable, yet.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Yes of course he'd go. He's taken us as far as we are likely to go and will want to play with the best. Won't worry about being sacked as he will think he will do so well they'll not need to get rid. Money and trappings for him and his family, security for the future.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
The problem for Graham is that Chelsea will want results instantly and probably won't give him the time to develop his playing style or the squad. They would probably sack him after 2 or 3 defeats so other than a chunk of cash is it really worth going to another mess of a club like them?

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
It would be nice if GP came out and said "I'm happy here at BHAFC with a great squad of players and a great chairman and great fans and I have no intention of leaving this club".
But then again I'm not holding my breath

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
If I were to really simplify the situation and break it down into two options it would be - do I want to be;

A) Very well paid and in a job where I have a healthy element of control and have developed a strong ethos/identity with about as much job security as you can get in football

-or-

B) Very, very well paid in a new environment filled with ego and crushingly high expectations where failure to succeeded will result in my sacking and my overall stock falling.

Yes there is more opportunity to win silverware, but you’ve got a small window to get it done or you’re out on your arse.

Last edited:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Honestly Kosh, I at least expected some Can lyrics in there, or some Rush!

Christ, you're not wrong... wtf has happened to me ?!? and I said I'd never get old. sigh.

As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky
The three travelers, men of Willowdale
Emerge from the forest shadow
Fording the river Dawn, they turn south
Journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of the necromancer
Even now the intensity of his dread power can be felt
Weakening the body and saddening the heart
Ultimately they will become empty, mindless spectres
Stripped of will and soul
Only their thirst for freedom
Gives them hunger for vengeance
Silence shrouds the forest
As the birds announce the dawn
Three travellers ford the river
And southward journey on
The road is lined with peril
The air is charged with fear
The shadow of his nearness
Weighs like iron tears
Shreds of black cloud loom in overcast skies
The necromancer keeps watch with his magic prism eyes
He views all his lands and is already aware
Of the three helpless invaders trapped in his lair
Brooding in the tower
Watching over his lands
Holding ev'ry creature
Helplessly they stand
Gaze into his prisms
Knowing they are near
Lead them to the dungeons
Spectres numb with fear
They bow defeated
Enter the champion
Prince By-Tor appears to battle for freedom
From chains of long years
The spell has been broken
The Dark Lands are bright
The wraith of the necromancer soars away in the night
Stealthily attacking
By-Tor slays his foe
The men are free to run now
From labyrinths below
The wraith of necromancer
Shadows through the sky
Another land to darken
With evil prism eye, oh...

I don't think I could have put it better myself. Perfectly sums everything up.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I really do think Chelsea is a bit of a basket case of a club at the moment the board appears to be very impatient for instant success coming out of the Abramovich years and will be looking for an immediate impact, the team is full of big named and bigger egos all this needs a big named manager Graham Potter is rightly much admired but is he ready for this move after all he’s yet to win anything here in the UK in my humble opinion he needs and will deliver some silverware at the Albion first.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
money , trophies , profile. If it is a disaster then still end up in prem league with an everton or whatever.

Realistically , now is the perfect time to quit at BHA as this is likely as good as it gets or near to it.

No brainer

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Chelsea are in a right old state atm. 1/4 of a billion spent on players. Personally think he’d be a bit nuts to go there. Unlikely they’d give him time to build. However, huge club, champions league, massive pay increase, no need to move house. 50/50 I’d imagine. But my god Graham, have you encountered their fans? Proper bell ends at the Amex.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
His gone if offered. Anyone thinks he will stay is deluded

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Genuine question why can't we just raise his salary to 6m a year ? In footballing money terms this is chump change and it's unlikey to p1ss of the players as potter is the gaffer !

I think we will give him a massive raise if he stays. Knowing potter he will almost be too embarrassed to take it.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
If I were G.Pott I would be loving life now:

- working at a great club with great facilities
- with a great chairman
- the focus being on developing players (which is obviously his speciality)
- come contract renewal he'll be getting a hefty pay-rise
- wife and kids settled in a great house in a great part of the country

why swap for the hassle of an unsettled club where the sack can come after 6 games into the season?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Barber on Talksport a few weeks stated Brighton had tied Potter contract up as best they could, but did mention it would be possible for him to move. I do wonder if the details are similar to that of Ashworth and he would need to work a period of time before he left.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Potter, a man renowned for emotional intelligence and thrives on stability. Chelsea? Mmm.

If Pep or Klopp left then there’d be real concern.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
If I were G.Pott I would be loving life now:

- working at a great club with great facilities
- with a great chairman
- the focus being on developing players (which is obviously his speciality)
- come contract renewal he'll be getting a hefty pay-rise
- wife and kids settled in a great house in a great part of the country

why swap for the hassle of an unsettled club where the sack can come after 6 games into the season?

Because it is potentially his only chance of managing in the Champions League, the pinnacle of his profession. He'd be mad not to jump at that.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
money , trophies , profile. If it is a disaster then still end up in prem league with an everton or whatever.

Realistically , now is the perfect time to quit at BHA as this is likely as good as it gets or near to it.

No brainer

I'd argue that the best is yet to come. It's as good as it has ever been, but there is a real feeling that the plan is finally coming together after all the work put in in season's past.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports