Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If you were Graham Potter and you were offered the Chelsea job would you take it?

If you were Graham Potter and you were offered the Chelsea job would you take it?

• Yes, all day long

Votes: 131 35.9%
  • No, I'm staying put for now

Votes: 234 64.1%

• Total voters

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
No brainer,of course he'd take the job if offered, luckily for us they've already got a replacement lined up,who himself will be on the Chelsea scrapheap by February 1st 2023. Crazy Yanks:mad:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Yes. Don’t get a top 6 club calling very often. Pretty good squad and a chance to manage in the CL. Yes they can be trigger happy but I’d be confident enough with that squad I could get results. Less than a year ago people were calling for his head. Only takes a similar run and he may not get another chance.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Personally I’m not a risk taker, so my opinion isn’t really valid. I would stay where I’m already well paid and enjoying my work.
It depends on how much he values ambition and challenges as opposed to stability and success.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
If I was Potter I would take a look at what happened to Gus Poyet after he left

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Not wishing him away but …It’s a great and rare opportunity .
Proper step up , unlike Villa , Everton etc
Expectations tempered this season .
Wads of cash to spend .
Already a formidable squad .
Champions league football
No guarantee Brighton will keep up current form .
He could probably keep his family where they are .
Going by how he left Swansea for a bigger opportunity , I expect him to go.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
No brainer,of course he'd take the job if offered, luckily for us they've already got a replacement lined up,who himself will be on the Chelsea scrapheap by February 1st 2023. Crazy Yanks:mad:

He turned Spurs down. It's now on record he was asked. They would have been a far better fit than Chelsea

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I think I would yes as you don't know when the next opportunity would come.

I imaginge he would want some reassurance from the Chairman that he is in it for the long haul though.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
He turned Spurs down. It's now on record he was asked. They would have been a far better fit than Chelsea

They weren't in the Champions League- it wasn't an opportunity to manage at the top level. This would be.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I wouldn't. I'm already sorted for cash and I am currently in a job which fits me like an absolute glove and my job isn't finished. There is more to life than money, turning Brighton into a top six (or heaven forfend a top 4) club would provide me with immense professional satisfaction. I also get to spend my time working with a supportive boss and a great group of players that I have forged into a team and that respond positively to my tuition.

There will come a day when I will have taken this job as far as I can go and then it will be time to take on a new challenge of my choosing.

If Chelsea think they can just wave some money at me then they will have to think again.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Big difference of opinion on the main thread - https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?396404-Tuchel-gone - what would YOU do?

I voted No, and whilst I agreed with much of your sound reasoning on other thread of why he would say yes, I'm still not sure I would or he will.

Ofc Chelsea bigger more successful club who could pay more potentially.

But they're also quick to change/fire and it's that expectation that would be a big factor.

Our first ambition is to avoid bottom 3, then it's top 10 a big success. Chelsea is top 4 and anything less is failure.

Potter only now has the team really purring, there's big big dips in form in most seasons and the numerous Potter In/Out threads.

Similar runs of form at a club like Chelsea, I doubt he'll be given that time. Lose 5 on bounce and he'd be toast.... and Potter is a methodical builder, not an insta magician or a strong minded charismatic tour de force like Mourinho. Success takes time, trial and error. He's had that here, Bloom has weathered the dips when many here called for his head.

I don't see him getting that patience at a club like Chelsea. Of course financially it's a no brainer and as daft as it may seem, purely because of the football played I'd see Citeh after pep, Arsenal after Arteta or England after waistcoat as better footballing fits and certainly at Arse and England he'd get time and patience I don't think he'll get at Stamford Bridge.

Of course totally understand if he did, but I'd be more convinced if it were Arsenal than Chelsea.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Money aside, no.

Transfer window closed. No chance of building his squad by bringing in new players and moving on surplus to requirements.

A bad start and with a worldwide fanbase going crazy with UCL qualification at stake, he wouldn't be there in January.

I'll concede that it might've worked in June/July with the window open, but it's too late now.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I wouldn't take it.

But I don't live in football-land where the majority would cheerfully smother their grannies while they slept for a pay increment

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Yes it’s a top 6 club, but they aren’t all cut from the same cloth. Look at the amount of patience Arteta has been shown at Arsenal. He wouldn’t get that at Chelsea given that they’ve sacked Tuchel now…

I think he’s smart enough to see that.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Personally I’m not a risk taker, so my opinion isn’t really valid. I would stay where I’m already well paid and enjoying my work.
It depends on how much he values ambition and challenges as opposed to stability and success.

Exactly this. Unless those saying he will definitely go if offered the job are inside his mind then no one knows. If he is happy, stable, enjoying the challenge here and isn't motivated by money he might well stay. If he fancies a new challenge and a risk, higher stakes and a huge pay rise then he'll go. Not everyone is motivated by money and promotion.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Hasn't Potter said before that he's not motivated by money and is often embarrassed with what he earns when he talks about 'life' with his mates, the same group he's grown up with?

If that's the case he may be better off waiting for a more stable glamour club, it's not as if there is any shortage of manager turn arounds with them.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
To play in the CL , have a far bigger budget for players and to go from earning around £2.2 million a year to around £6m is a difficult thing to turn down . I hope he does turn it down but if he gets offered the job I suspect he will take it .

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
No, a devil of a club and no amount of money would make me leave the Albion... but then again, it's a flawed argument when you consider the passion we all share.

If however, I wasn't an Albion fan and I backed myself to succeed as GP surely does... and I had certain guarantees... well, who am I to say I'd stay... ?

Honestly Kosh, I at least expected some Can lyrics in there, or some Rush!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here