Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] If you score an own goal from a direct free kick...

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
That was one of the weird / trick questions we as parents / lads got asked at becoming a referee course - I thought I new my football got about 40% right. Some obscure rules out there

In a Sunday League game I had to explain to a ref ( qualified) you couldn't be offside from a goal kick

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Funnily enough I had to look that one up after Junior Orange's match a week ago. One of his teammates decided to throw the ball back to the keeper who promptly fumbled it into his net. If he'd picked it up it would have been a direct free kick (age rule - indirect for adult game), if he'd left it it'd have been a corner... but as he did neither the goal stood (though nobody was entirely sure at the time!).

Did the goalkeeper touch the ball with his hands at all?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Did the goalkeeper touch the ball with his hands at all?

Hi tried to! Whether it should have been a goal or not is moot as we ran out 5-1 winners and certainly wouldn't begrudge the opposition something as the match wasn't that one-sided!

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Michael Parkinson described a game where the goalkeeper took a penalty, blasted it against the crossbar, watched the rebound go back over his head, chased back, and accidentally wellied it into his own net - all without anyone else touching the ball. the ref gave an own goal, but should he have?

(PS - Parkinson was known for being a little, shall we say romantic with the truth.)

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Michael Parkinson described a game where the goalkeeper took a penalty, blasted it against the crossbar, watched the rebound go back over his head, chased back, and accidentally wellied it into his own net - all without anyone else touching the ball. the ref gave an own goal, but should he have?

(PS - Parkinson was known for being a little, shall we say romantic with the truth.)

No, should be a free kick from where he kicked it the second time

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here