Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you live in Hove, can you get BT Infinity at your address?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I am at the end of New Church Road by Marks Spencers garage and have BT Infinity. At first the speed was only 20downloadi ng and 17 up. Now it is 36 down and 19 up. It got faster without us noticing. Nowhere near the UP TO 76 mb/s advertised but would rather put up with it than talk to BT.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Me too...clueless...please explain what it is about. We are currently with Virgin Broadband (cable, not BT Landline) and looking to change and/or to get Sky and to pay quite a bit less than £50 pm (all in, some Sports Channels, phone and all) which is what Virgin are fleecing us for at the moment.

What's the advantage please with BT Infinity and at what cost and who provides the Broadband - BT themselves? Does it matter that I have cable and not a BT landline right now?

Should I just switch to Sky which there was a recent thread about?!
If money is no object, I think Sky TV is excellent. I'd like to save some money though, and BT are now doing sport and other channels (Comedy central and things) with their packages. I'd like BT Infinity, so I can watch their TV with their free box, and also make use of a service like Netflix (I'd get the US Netflix, not the rubbish UK version). Doing all that with regular broadband would be a painful experience.

So if you have lots of money, get Sky and enjoy. If you don't need as much convenience or don't need so many films, then BT has a good offering (simply enter your phone number on their website to see if you can get it).

I am at the end of New Church Road by Marks Spencers garage and have BT Infinity. At first the speed was only 20downloadi ng and 17 up. Now it is 36 down and 19 up. It got faster without us noticing. Nowhere near the UP TO 76 mb/s advertised but would rather put up with it than talk to BT.
Are you paying for the 76MB package (which is a few pounds more than the 38MB package)?

I was assuming that they just hadn't done our road yet, but now I'm thinking they've decided they're not going to do our road. WTF! I'm not happy.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yes infiniy 2 as it was a deal of 5 quid extra first year. The speed is ok for my brain so won't complain.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
If money is no object, I think Sky TV is excellent. I'd like to save some money though, and BT are now doing sport and other channels (Comedy central and things) with their packages. I'd like BT Infinity, so I can watch their TV with their free box, and also make use of a service like Netflix (I'd get the US Netflix, not the rubbish UK version). Doing all that with regular broadband would be a painful experience.

So if you have lots of money, get Sky and enjoy. If you don't need as much convenience or don't need so many films, then BT has a good offering (simply enter your phone number on their website to see if you can get it).

Thanks, money most certainly is an object. I was thinking of another thread we had here a couple of months ago when someone said they got Sky TV and broadband & line rental for about £14 pm but I suppose all the add-on channels (sport and films) would bump that right up anyway...

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Still better off with Virgin broadband I think, speeds are at most double of bt or triple of sky.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Thanks, money most certainly is an object. I was thinking of another thread we had here a couple of months ago when someone said they got Sky TV and broadband & line rental for about £14 pm but I suppose all the add-on channels (sport and films) would bump that right up anyway...
Line rental with Sky is £15, so that would just cover the freeview TV. If it was a special deal, it would have only been short term.

Still better off with Virgin broadband I think, speeds are at most double of bt or triple of sky.
I game online, and most people online who are unhappy seem to use Virgin. It may be that their peak speed is high, but their service unreliable. There are certainly a lot of complaints about their customer service.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD

It's not the same everywhere, and if you don't have cable then all speeds will be about the same if you use fibre.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Just got a reply from BT:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your enquiry about fibre broadband at Hove exchange cabinet SD/HV 36. When rolling out fibre broadband, we don’t necessarily upgrade all the deployable cabinets at the same time. This may be for our planning or local planning reasons, engineering resource or technical issues. As such, your cabinet is still in the planning stage and if the build works go as planned, we are predicting that your cabinet will be live to accept orders for fibre broadband in February ’14.

If that's accurate, I'm happy.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Just got a reply from BT:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your enquiry about fibre broadband at Hove exchange cabinet SD/HV 36. When rolling out fibre broadband, we don’t necessarily upgrade all the deployable cabinets at the same time. This may be for our planning or local planning reasons, engineering resource or technical issues. As such, your cabinet is still in the planning stage and if the build works go as planned, we are predicting that your cabinet will be live to accept orders for fibre broadband in February ’14.

If that's accurate, I'm happy.

It is seriously weird the lengths you have to go to and the net result is a guestimate. Maybe we could organise some NSC sponsorship for SD/HV 36. This forum deserves it's own fibre cabinet.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It is seriously weird the lengths you have to go to and the net result is a guestimate.
I guess what's frustrating is that no one on the end of a phone knows anything (weird for a phone company), and online it says the cabinet's status is 'Removed or Deferred from deployment', which is worrying when cabinets on the streets around you have been done. I understand they have to fit work in around other road works etc, and maybe that's all it is. But I could really do with a decent fibre BB, so the prospect of it never coming would be depressing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here