Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] If you have the money/opportunity, would you be a "space tourist"?

If you have the money/opportunity, would you be a "space tourist"?

• Yep - bring it on!

Votes: 40 35.7%
  • Nah - I'm happy down here on earth, thanks

Votes: 72 64.3%

• Total voters

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Don't think you are helping your argument. I either get to visit space and survive or visit space and end my days with Sandra Bullock? :love:

Zero G spunk can't be a nice thing to deal with though.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I daren't vote. I am totally conflicted on this one.

cons:
Currently the domain of some of the most egotistical knobheads on the planet.
Ridiculous sums of money. Surely there are more worthwhile things to do if you want to make your mark?
Reeks of holiday of a lifetime ( a pet hate phrase of mine). What do you do as a follow up, other than curl up and die?

pros.
The views in orbit. Get me up there now.
It might be only for egotistical knobheads right now, but eventually these pioneers will make it more affordable for the rest of us.
Prepare for lift off!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How much does it cost to tick this off your bucket list and apart from the thrill what is the point of this frankly obscene (almost certainly) amount of money being pissed away?

A quick google suggests a cost of USD 28 million

I intend to go economy but I’m willing pay a little bit extra for speedy boarding.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think everyone is entitled to a 'treat' but I could never justify such an horrendous waste of money on what is, at the end of the day, a cross between one of those 'experience' days and a short break.

No from me.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Best get a good look at it before it starts to disappear in 20 years eh

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I intend to go economy but I’m willing pay a little bit extra for speedy boarding.

Do you buy “seconds” in designer clothes and man bags to save a few quid too?

I’m starting to think that your 1901 food threads are photos that you take of corporate hospitality guests meals not your own :wink:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I once had a mate that didn't want to go to Paris because "I've seen the Eiffel tower in Vegas" Whilst it's oikish, I have the same feelings about going into space having seen the earth on every Atlas I've ever picked up. That and i wouldn't want to have a poo in a bag for that kind of outlay.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Do you buy “seconds” in designer clothes and man bags to save a few quid too?

I’m starting to think that your 1901 food threads are photos that you take of corporate hospitality guests meals not your own :wink:

Do you insist that you will only be happy if you pay maximum possible price without finding out why they have a label with the word 'seconds' :wink:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Inspiration4 is due to launch in an hour or so, taking four "tourists" into space for three days, orbiting the earth at an altitude of around 350 miles.

NASA estimates there is a 1-in-270 chance of catastrophic failure - about the same as tossing a coin and getting 8 heads in a row.

If you had the money/opportunity, would you be willing to take the chance for some space tourism?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pv01sSq44w

How much additional NSC traffic do you need to upgrade your cruise holiday?!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Inspiration4 is due to launch in an hour or so, taking four "tourists" into space for three days, orbiting the earth at an altitude of around 350 miles.

NASA estimates there is a 1-in-270 chance of catastrophic failure - about the same as tossing a coin and getting 8 heads in a row.

If you had the money/opportunity, would you be willing to take the chance for some space tourism?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pv01sSq44w

I’ve thought about this but Id be to afraid of something happening!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-[emoji713 said:
-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;10006349]How long do you get to experience weightlessness in one of those?
Depends on how they do it.

On our flight, we did 30 parabolas - 10 at 0.75G, 10 at 0.5G and 10 at 0.25G

As the G level got lower, the 'weightless' time decreased. For 0.75, we got about 55 secs per parabola, for 0.5 it was about 35 secs and for 0.25 about 25 secs.

Not huge amounts of time but, particularly at the lower G levels, an incredible sensation.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Do you insist that you will only be happy if you pay maximum possible price without finding out why they have a label with the word 'seconds' :wink:

Lesson learnt, I bought some Levis from an outlet at a reduced price, twisted seam on one leg. Feck that, I’ll pay full price or buy in the States (or I did when it was open!) these days

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
It's a bit tricky this one, on one hand man has devised yet another way of destroying the planet quicker but at least from space looking at a dying earth doesn't matter much.

The only thing that intrigues me about going would be the slim chance of seeing Ulloa's penalty ball in full orbit.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Watched it already; position unchanged. 1 in 270 chance of a catastrophic failure? Pah; I’d go if it was 50/50. I’m going to die anyway at some point in the not too distant future; I can think of no way I’d rather go than experiencing space travel.

My feeling is that a quick whizz round the earth, in orbit, is to space travel, what a hand shandy is to a fulfilling loving relationship.

I'd want to land somewhere and have a mooch about. Even then....

Nah. Find me a habitable planet where one could attempt a genuine adventure, and I'd give it consideration.

I say that as someone who loaths places like Alton Towers :lolol: :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here