Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you had back pain, which one of the following would you seek help from?

If you had back pain, which one of the following would you seek help from?

• Gp

Votes: 37 41.1%
  • Physiotherapist

Votes: 18 20.0%
  • Chiropractor

Votes: 19 21.1%
  • Osteopath

Votes: 16 17.8%

• Total voters

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
GP for pain relief and physiotherapist for mobility. I asked my doctor to refer me to a physiotherapist and he said "Okay, good idea!".

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I'd agree it has to be the GP first.

About 12 years ago I had bad back and shoulder pains - went first to a chiropractor but despite this giving short term relief the pain soon returned.

Eventually decided to see the GP who sent me to the hospital for X-rays and it turned out I'd broken my neck :ohmy:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
The GP did nothing for my back.

Only after I went to the chiropractor he unofficially diagnosed my arthritis (of the spine) told me what blood test to get from the nurses and who to sent it to. I'm now talking medication for it thanks to him.

I am guessing that the GP gives a general overview of your condition in a very brief examination, vague back pain is likely to be nothing but with a chance of being everything.

If you returned as the pain grew worse or continued, I am sure a referral would have come to the correct diagnosis and medication.

Good for your Chiropractor, but without without bloods he could not be sure, his observations were accurate but not unique to his profession.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
I suffer from lower back pain from time to time, I have found the gp to be a waste of time to be honest. Suggestion range from pain killers to hot bath, whilst both might offer some small relief I find myself now seeing an osteopathy when needed (guy called rick at sevendials).

However, one of the best things I ever got was a cricket ball and a foam roller and effectively treat myself at home, check out YouTube for some of these, but obviously get yourself diagnosed first before doing home treatment. But releasing knots in hamstrings etc helps me no end.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
One of my colleagues at work had stem cell therapy in New York for lower back pain, not sure if it’s available in the UK. I was a bit cynical but he swears it cured the problem (herniated disc I think).

The important thing about back pain is to ensure that you get some sort of agreement from a professional that you do, actually, have back pain. A piece of paper is handy. That will help convince your boss at work that those days off are genuine. Because, as sure as hell, your boss will be suspicious.

The second thing you have to do is plan how to spend those days off work.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I had an operation on my back a year ago (successful) but suffered, on and off, with back pain for years beforehand and, at various times, I tried all of the above. The one thing I didn't do until I was nearly doubled up was to have an MRI scan done. This is so obvious but so many people never get a proper informed diagnosis on what the cause of the pain is before its too late and you have to go under the knife. What's worse is that the osteopaths and chiropractors I saw we're quite happy to treat me without seeing a picture to confirm their diagnosis. So, before getting any treatment go to your GP and get him/her to book you a scan...it could save you a shed load of trouble and put you on the right path to recovery.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Some interesting opinions, thanks for sharing them. Interestingly, the GP is the least knowledgeable about matters of back pain and the examination of it imo. Other than that, it's horses for courses. Find one you trust and stick with them. If you prefer knocking back the pills, that's your choice too.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I had to go for an MRI last week in Miami due to bad headaches & pains in the upper back/neck. My head is actually tender to touch but only on one side.
The results of the MRI show an injury in the vertebrae at the top of my spine, similar to that caused by whiplash. I had whiplash about 20 years ago, but for the life of me I don't know how this has happened. I'm due home late next month & they intend to refer me to a gaeneologist (spelling?). The head aches are literally doing my head in & my fitness is struggling also as I've stopped exercising for 2 weeks.

I realize that this all a bit personal, but if anyone has suffered a similar condition & would care to offer advice, that would be great.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Start with the Gp and he will refer you if necessary. Sometimes a back pain has nothing to do with the back...

Isn't that someone who looks at dick's and fanny's?

Dicks is a Urologist.

Fannys is indeed a Gynaecologist.

Maybe he needs to check where he studied for his doctorate...

I look at fannies but I'm an old pervert. i think a gaeneologist studies rocks not cocks.

You mean a Geologist.

Plake

Unregistered User
Nov 7, 2009
Brighton seafront
Some interesting opinions, thanks for sharing them. Interestingly, the GP is the least knowledgeable about matters of back pain and the examination of it imo. Other than that, it's horses for courses. Find one you trust and stick with them. If you prefer knocking back the pills, that's your choice too.

What a ludicrous post. Many GP's have a huge interest in and knowledge of the musculoskeletal system and are truly holistic practitioners (unlike the others listed) as they have a full, practical and detailed knowledge of the plethora of things that can go wrong with the body outside of the muscles, nerves and bones. Sometimes pharmacological intervention is the correct management of pain and disease.

I won't go into specific detail because I CBA to get sued but some of the people that take money to treat back/other pain are not credible evidence-based healthcare providers. Some of the claims made by some of them on the causes and treatment of disease are questionable in the extreme. Trust in those practitioners is misplaced.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here