Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

IF you end up going to the Road Stewart concert - a threadful of Rod Stewart songs

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
My favourite song from Rod...he wrote it.. (Mandolin Wind).but the Mandolin playing was a stroke of genius...don't know who played the mandolin,rumour it was the Mandolin player from 'Lindisfarne' how true that was I don't know...terrific.

I think youre right, was the guys name Alan Hudson or something similar? I think he played mandolin on Maggie May as well, although, John Peel pretended to play it on Top of the Pops, and a lot of people believed he had played it on the recording.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Sadly I DO know people who still think he's great and love his American songbooks etc, may not be relevant to you but he still keeps selling records. Brian Ferry has followed a similar path. I was dragged to see him in Portsmouth a few years ago and whilst having a break in the bar during his crooning I overheard two women of about 40 talking about how Ferry was "sex on legs". I did almost spit my drink out but it proves that these guys ARE still relevant, maybe not in ground breaking songs I accept. Then again you could make the relevant argument about the Stones but look at the crowds they still draw.

You're right and I wouldn't knock anyone for going to see any musician. We're clearly both big music fans after all but I guess the point I was trying to make was the idea that Rod Stewart lost that fire in his belly years ago, I can't take him seriously. If you contrast him with the likes of some of those musicians of a similar era that we both like: Neil Young, Leonard Cohen, Tom Petty they all still have something to say.

My opinions are jaundiced anyway by the fact that he was responsible for Maggie May and if I never ever hear that song again it will be too soon.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You're right and I wouldn't knock anyone for going to see any musician. We're clearly both big music fans after all but I guess the point I was trying to make was the idea that Rod Stewart lost that fire in his belly years ago, I can't take him seriously. If you contrast him with the likes of some of those musicians of a similar era that we both like: Neil Young, Leonard Cohen, Tom Petty they all still have something to say.

My opinions are jaundiced anyway by the fact that he was responsible for Maggie May and if I never ever hear that song again it will be too soon.

All true, I was a very big Stewart fan and loved the two albums, Every Picture Tells a Story and Never a Dull moment, before he joined the Faces. I also used to really like Elton John, another complete sell out since he broke the States, in fact I still listen to his early stuff. Tumbleweed Connection was probably my first dabble in what could be termed Country Rock, which is now probably my favourite genre of music. Much to most of my families disgust!!

Anyway my wife has found out about this concert, so it looks like I'm going.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here