Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] If you could 'reset' Britain, which historic point would you go back to?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Interesting to pick 1913 when the British Empire was on its peak and had enslaved a quarter of the world.

It was Russia that picked 1913, not Britain, so stuff your anti-British, anti-Western prejudice. Stick to football (and pizza boxes and spliffs).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
1095 - Don't get involved in the Crusades, and instead dump all religion

That wouldn't have stopped Moslems (aka the Moors) invading Europe up through the Iberian peninsuar until they were driven back by the Spanish. Trouble is, you might have banished our own religion(s) but other people would have kept their's.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Late 1940s. WW!! over, NHS and welfare state legislation being brought about by the best government we ever had. Hard times, but real hope for the future, real dreams that this time there really would be a home fit for heroes.

If I could time travel, I'd like to visit Edwardian times too (so long as I was visiting in the guise of someone at the more prosperous end of the spectrum).

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Has our manufacturing base disappeared? We are the 9th on the list of global manufacturers.

Historically we have been a nation of traders only now we trade in financial services.

Out of interest where were we on that list in April 1962?

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
1982 - great music - and before all this PC nonsense went too far and binary was to do with numbers . The world seemed a lot more sane, at least in New York.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's a question on which a lot of science fantasy type stuff is based - and it would be fascinating if we could go back and see what would have happened if, for instance:
1). William the Conqueror had lost the Battle of Hastings, and Harold (and the Saxon British) had remained in power;
2). It the Jacobite Rebellion had been successful, and Bonny Prince Charlie had become King;
3). If we'd given the whole of Ireland full independence and told the Orangemen it was there problem, get on with it.

Those are just a random three that might have made the present (and a lot of the past) very different - but definately interesting. Plus there's a few I can think of which thank f*** they did happen, and I'm bloody glad they did - such as:-
4). Napoleon invading Russia, and
5). Hitler invading Russia.
(those two saved our bacon, twice).

Would I like to go back say, 50 years knowing what I know now and have a much more successful life, making none of the mistakes I made and getting far more things right? Yes, tempting - but that as that would mean my lovely daughters and grandchildrem never existing? No deal! What will be, will be, What was ......... was!

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
1066 changed everything Angalo Saxon society was growing in stature across Europe for its legal systems, woman's equality, it’s standing army, education and art even prototype democracy all of which changed as a result of the Norman invasion the 4,000 Anglo-Saxon landowning elite was almost totally replaced by Norman barrons and bishops, 20 years after the invasion only 2 Saxon names appear as elite land owners.
the ruling apparatus was made much more centralised with power and wealth being held in much fewer hands.
the majority of Anglo-Saxon bishops were replaced with Norman ones and many dioceses' headquarters were relocated to urban centres.
Norman motte and bailey castles were introduced which reshaped warfare in England, reducing the necessity for and risk of large-scale field engagements.
the system of feudalism developed as William gave out lands in return for military service (either in person or a force of knights paid for by the landowner).
manorialism developed and spread further where labourers worked on their lord's estate for his benefit.
the north of England was devastated for a long time following William's harrying of 1069-70 CE.
Domesday Book, a detailed and systematic catalogue of the land and wealth in England was compiled in 1086-7 CE.
the contact and especially trade between England and Continental Europe greatly increased.
the two countries of France and England became historically intertwined, initially due to the crossover of land ownership, i.e. Norman nobles holding lands in both countries.
the syntax and vocabulary of the Anglo-Saxon Germanic language were significantly influenced by the French language.
The previous Saxon elites, bishops, solders left England some finding their way to Constantinople taking important roles in the Eastern Roman Empire While others fled to Scandinavia helping develop those societies.
Ultimately the king was now the supreme power he owned all the land and gave parcels to supporters to manage while Saxon kings were elected and could be deselected women could own land and inherit from their husbands and fathers, Saxon kings while from the elite landowners were chosen as the person to lead by a council.

Hypothetically nonsense I know as we are what we are but what could we have been

This, I fecking hate the Normans and what they did to this country, the problems we still have today with patronage, inherited entitlement and land ownership etc can be traced back to 1066.
If I had a time machine (and a machine gun) I'd go back to the beaches of Pevensey and rip the feckers to shreds as they stepped off their boats. Try embroidering a 50-cal on your stupid tapestry you ****s.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Like going back to the day before a Manchester City game thinking if you play them again, you'll win...

How about Sweden? Would you go back and undo the shame of the 1940's as you stood back and watched the Nazis take Norway, with the majority of Swedes in surveys actually supporting Hitler? Sweden isn't exactly without shame in their past. Then of course the killing, pillaging and rape of women and children on an industrial scale by the Vikings?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Late 1930s, early 1940s. Stop the invention of nuclear weapons. The Allies would have still won WW2 but would have taken longer. Yes there would have been more smaller conflicts, but the world would not need to live on a knife edge as in the Cold War, and we could easily defeat Putin right now.

In reality many other things may or may not have happened but this is my uncomplicated answer.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I’d like the reset to be around the 1700’s and stop the Enclosure Acts from being passed.

Good shout.

Have you read Guy Standing's Plunder of the Commons? Well worth a read if not.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Sometime between Labour taking power in 1997 and the Iraq invasion. With hindsight Blair should have called an in-out referendum on EU membership at the height of his powers and probably won it comfortably.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here