Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] If you could 'reset' Britain, which historic point would you go back to?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Think I'm going to have to abstain. I broadly share the feelings of smillie's gardens, but then we probably have to go back even further than that, as someone also mentioned the disaster that was The Crusades. I just don't have much faith in humans anywhere in the world to organise fair and just societies. It seems beyond us.

Thinking of reset of a nation. This is an interesting read on the demise of the nation state:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/apr/05/demise-of-the-nation-state-rana-dasgupta

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Stonehenge construction times, where we all sat plaiting daisies into our neighbour's hair and didn't get all uncool and heavy.

I've changed my mind. I won't abstain after all.

Yes please to this :smokin:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yeah, again, I don't mean re-living your past.

Maybe it's better to ask: when did Britain start going wrong? (If you believe it has)

I guess example checkpoints would be 1979 General Election, or 2013 (?) when Cameron promised an EU referendum.

Some might pick dates before the rise or fall of the British Empire...

No resets. Definitely not.

Interesting question, though :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I would say five to three, but I'm rather fearful, unlike the Albion, lightening would indeed strike twice.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
1997 for me.

Introduce PR and Lord’s reform and most of the constitutional nonsense we’ve endured for the last decade and a half just goes away.

Failing that 9 months before when Rupert Murdoch was born and tell his dad to just have a cold shower or use a sock that night. Should go a decent way to saving the world.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The period when the Romans arrived.

The Celtic Britons actually repel the Romans and then a more united Celtic nation is created which takes in the the whole of the island and Ireland.

They then repel the Germanic tribes and the Normans.

The modern version of the island has Gaelic as the native language.

The world is potentially a lot different if this happens as the Celtic Tribes would have probably -been less likely to have gone down the path of the mass colonising that occurred.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The period when the Romans arrived.

The Celtic Britons actually repel the Romans and then a more united Celtic nation is created which takes in the the whole of the island and Ireland.

They then repel the Germanic tribes and the Normans.

The modern version of the island has Gaelic as the native language.

The world is potentially a lot different if this happens as the Celtic Tribes would have probably -been less likely to have gone down the path of the mass colonising that occurred.

Like going back to the day before a Manchester City game thinking if you play them again, you'll win...

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Fair enough. What do you think the impact of your scenario would be after 2000 years?

The world would be a very very different place.

English would not exist for one.

The mindset of conquering and colonising probably never happens and the parts of the world that experienced this potentially turn out very differently.

The religious issues of the islands most likely never happen either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here