Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] If you could be, or have been, in any band...

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I’d have played drums for Nirvana. The twin wins of incredible high energy drumming AND preventing the formation of the Foo Fighters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don’t like their music the that is your prerogative, hard to think why if you like rock mind?

But why deny one of the hardest working and nicest guys in music the opportunity to earn a living?

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
If you don’t like their music the that is your prerogative, hard to think why if you like rock mind?

But why deny one of the hardest working and nicest guys in music the opportunity to earn a living?

Music is really subjective, and sometimes it’s tough to articulate exactly why you feel the way you do about an act, but I’ll have a go. (Warning: May be lengthy, contains context, I apologise)

Nirvana (for me, and I believe by design) stood as a reaction against hair metal rock cliche and the whole “moderate rock” thing. I appreciate loads of people can’t stand Nirvana, but for me the mix of Kurt Cobain’s voice and the energy of the band made it something different and a bit special. I guess some bands just hit at a time of life when you’re most receptive to them.

After Kurt’s death, for a member of Nirvana to follow up having been part of that by making middle of the road rock songs felt like a betrayal of something important that Nirvana stood for. Dave played it safe and created a stadium rock band which has made him a comfortable living.

I have no real animosity toward Dave Grohl, I’m sure he is a nice guy, but to me the Foo Fighters music is bland, toothless and says nothing. I would find Foo Fighters really easy to ignore if Dave hadn’t played drums for Nirvana immediately prior to starting FF. I appreciate this probably says more about my character flaws and world view than it does about the Foo Fighters, but I never claimed to be perfect.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Music is really subjective, and sometimes it’s tough to articulate exactly why you feel the way you do about an act, but I’ll have a go. (Warning: May be lengthy, contains context, I apologise)

Nirvana (for me, and I believe by design) stood as a reaction against hair metal rock cliche and the whole “moderate rock” thing. I appreciate loads of people can’t stand Nirvana, but for me the mix of Kurt Cobain’s voice and the energy of the band made it something different and a bit special. I guess some bands just hit at a time of life when you’re most receptive to them.

After Kurt’s death, for a member of Nirvana to follow up having been part of that by making middle of the road rock songs felt like a betrayal of something important that Nirvana stood for. Dave played it safe and created a stadium rock band which has made him a comfortable living.

I have no real animosity toward Dave Grohl, I’m sure he is a nice guy, but to me the Foo Fighters music is bland, toothless and says nothing. I would find Foo Fighters really easy to ignore if Dave hadn’t played drums for Nirvana immediately prior to starting FF. I appreciate this probably says more about my character flaws and world view than it does about the Foo Fighters, but I never claimed to be perfect.

Great answer, and appreciated, though I may not agree entirely.

Nirvana were absolutely the antithesis of stadium rock at the time, but most mellow with age. KC was an enigmatic frontman, but also very flawed, using music as his outlet to the world. See many others before and after.

Early Foo’s was far from moderate, and neither stadium. Making good music leads to popularity, either mainstream or niche. Both have their place. :thumbsup:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The Faces, looked like they partied all the time and had a laugh doing it.

Totally. Although in reality I don't think they mixed the two on the good days. (it's actually fairly well documented)

I put the faces on the list of bands I wouldn't/couldn't do because they had a uniquness in thier make up . . . and Ronnine Lanes better than I'll ever be!

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
If you could choose to be in any band, past or present, which would you choose and why?

Perhaps you've always dreamt of playing lead guitar for the Stones, keyboard for Duran Duran or you just want to be in the Spice Girls (so to speak).

Me, I'd think a few tours with AC/DC would have been a lot of fun.

The Runaways, because I think tours with them would be more fun...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-xYH2oTQGI

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Blondie circa 1979 instead of Chris Stein

Or maybe Wind In The Willows and get there first...

ea6658ed-eb83-4c71-b621-ce566cb4adae.jpg

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Keyboards in Genesis while Peter Gabriel still around.
Something in Cream - but not to displace Jack Bruce, Ginger Baker or Eric Clapton.
Percussion in the Allman Brothers Band before Duane Allman died - I.e up to 1971.
Percussion of some sort in Santana up to mid 1970s.

Yes, I am stuck in the past, but will still be interested in and excited by stuff I hear today.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Toto , as a band of session players you would get to play with all the greats .

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I'd liked to have played in some capacity in The Fall. Why? Because just about everybody else has :shrug:

Downside would be Mark E. Smith messing with the controls on your amp during the gig, and probably sacking you after a few weeks/months - there's actually a book about all the people who played in The Fall in the 1980s and 1990s! The turnover of band members was incredible.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Another appealing choice would be an outfit like Daft Punk. Hugely successful, critically acclaimed and totally anonymous due to their whole mask/helmet/robot shtick.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here