Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] If you can look beyond Control - What's the Best Music Biopic?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
um .... wasn't Control black and white though?

Um....yes.

D386F895-484E-4583-AE25-305A67C5F47C.jpeg

329AEEBA-4C61-4121-9746-A52646B78590.jpeg

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Because, as with The Sporanos being the default answer to:-

What's the Best TV Theme Tune?

Not even in the top top ten. Off the top of my head and in particular order: Booker T & The MG's Soul Limbo from the cricket in the eighties, now on TMS, Danny Elfman's 'Simpson's Theme, Monkey Magic, Hill Street Blues, Taxi, 'Way Down in The Hole from 'The Wire' (any version), Dexys' 'Because of You' on 'Brush Strokes', Roddy Frame's 'Small World' from 'Early Doors', Oasis's 'Half A World Away' from 'The Royle Family', M*A*S*H, Cheers, The Fresh Prince, The Muppets, On White Horses, Hawaii 5-0, 'Peg O' My Heart' from 'The Singing Detective', Primus' 'South Park' theme and Bowling for Soup's 'Phineas & Ferb' tune. not to mention'Ski Sunday', 'MotD', The BBC's Golf and Snooker Themes and the theme from Z Cars which both Watford and Everton walk out to, but turn off before it really gets going after about a minute in. Listen all the way through. Its a stormer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWflrCrwUSw

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
24 Hour Party People.

Straight Outta Compton.

But music biopics are mostly shit. There is that Hendrix one featuring no music by Hendrix as the estate denied permission. They went ahead and made it without the music anyway.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Not even in the top top ten. Off the top of my head and in particular order: Booker T & The MG's Soul Limbo from the cricket in the eighties, now on TMS, Danny Elfman's 'Simpson's Theme, Monkey Magic, Hill Street Blues, Taxi, 'Way Down in The Hole from 'The Wire' (any version), Dexys' 'Because of You' on 'Brush Strokes', Roddy Frame's 'Small World' from 'Early Doors', Oasis's 'Half A World Away' from 'The Royle Family', M*A*S*H, Cheers, The Fresh Prince, The Muppets, On White Horses, Hawaii 5-0, 'Peg O' My Heart' from 'The Singing Detective', Primus' 'South Park' theme and Bowling for Soup's 'Phineas & Ferb' tune. not to mention'Ski Sunday', 'MotD', The BBC's Golf and Snooker Themes and the theme from Z Cars which both Watford and Everton walk out to, but turn off before it really gets going after about a minute in. Listen all the way through. Its a stormer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWflrCrwUSw

Yeah, I agree with a lot of list, especially The Wire.
I'd add the True Blood one is similar to the Sopranos but better for my money and BBC cricket theme.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You're kidding?! Who played Hendrix? Tilda Swinton :lolol:

:lolol:

“What is amazing is that, unlike Get On Up or Walk The Line, the biopic was made without securing the rights to any music written by the legendary guitarist. All Is By My Side didn’t get the green light to use “Purple Haze”, “The Wind Cries Mary” or “Voodoo Chile”, the major hits composed by the guitarist”.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...vie-without-the-music-rights-9656850.html?amp

Andre 3000 from OutKast played Jimmi.

By all accounts it’s a dreadful film. As you would expect.

This new Elvis one looks pretty dire. And I am a huge fan of Elvis in his many forms but I’m not a huge fan of Baz Lurhman.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
:lolol:

“What is amazing is that, unlike Get On Up or Walk The Line, the biopic was made without securing the rights to any music written by the legendary guitarist. All Is By My Side didn’t get the green light to use “Purple Haze”, “The Wind Cries Mary” or “Voodoo Chile”, the major hits composed by the guitarist”.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...vie-without-the-music-rights-9656850.html?amp

Andre 3000 from OutKast played Jimmi.

By all accounts it’s a dreadful film. As you would expect.

This new Elvis one looks pretty dire. And I am a huge fan of Elvis in his many forms but I’m not a huge fan of Baz Lurhman.

Yes I thought Elvis looked dreadful. I don't particularly like Peter Bradshaw but I did his description of the film

"It’s not a movie so much as a 159-minute trailer for a film called Elvis – a relentless, frantically flashy montage, epic and yet negligible at the same time, with no variation of pace"

Mark Kermode loved it though and he's a big Elvis fan

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Do we really need Tom Hanks in a fat suit? I am not looking forward to seeing how they tackle 70’s Vegas Elvis, an era suspiciously absent from the over long trailer.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I rewatched Control, last night, all I can now see is:-

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here