Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

IF we were to reach the Premier League, how many of our players can make the step up?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Kayal - Stephens - Bruno - Rosenior and perhaps Murphy and Bong. Some others borderline but there are better players out there that you would need to look to bring in if you want to try and hold your own in the Premiership

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Return of the Rev, Working Class Pride, Looney. Not sure about pretty pink fairy.

Keep the Fairy as a coach. He may be getting on but could be useful for sound advice on the Palace encounters.

Gary1

Oct 25, 2013
Been thinking about this recently and I think the key will be to not throw the baby out with the bath water but just make sensible additions who can add that bit of quality that you need to make a difference in the premier league. In the past we've seen promoted teams make a whole host of changes and bring in quantity rather than quality and then find they have a team of mercenaries with no team team spirit resulting in relegation. Stoke,Swansea, Palace,Leicester and most recently Bournemouth have kept the nucleus of the promoted team and made sensible additions to aid their fight whereas Burnley took the extreme view at the other end of the scale and took the gamble not to add any real quality. If (and it's still a big if) we make it then hopefully we will be sensible and find the quality needed bolster the team and give us a fighting chance of staying up.

In-Exile

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Been thinking about this recently and I think the key will be to not throw the baby out with the bath water but just make sensible additions who can add that bit of quality that you need to make a difference in the premier league. In the past we've seen promoted teams make a whole host of changes and bring in quantity rather than quality and then find they have a team of mercenaries with no team team spirit resulting in relegation. Stoke,Swansea, Palace,Leicester and most recently Bournemouth have kept the nucleus of the promoted team and made sensible additions to aid their fight whereas Burnley took the extreme view at the other end of the scale and took the gamble not to add any real quality. If (and it's still a big if) we make it then hopefully we will be sensible and find the quality needed bolster the team and give us a fighting chance of staying up.
Bang on the money you need to keep the soul...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Which players are too young to count towards the 25 man squad, so are in fact bonus squad members ?

Walton ???
March ???

I'd keep the following and add up to 11 new players to make up the 25 man squad.

Stockdale
(Walton)
Bruno
Dunk
Hunemeier
Goldson
Bong
Rosenior
Kayal
Stephens
JFC
[Towell - no idea]
KLL
Murphy
(March)
Zamora
Hemed

If there is possibly a place for Calderon in the 25 man squad, I'd also sneak him in...

Ince to be kept, but loaned out.

Last edited:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Something we mentioned a lot in 1978 & 79 going as far as accusing certain players of not trying as they knew they would be out of a job when we got promoted.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
back to the original topic......our current squad would be relegation fodder imho.....

Bit rash to make such a judgement now. Some players can raise their game when playing at a higher level - some won't. We won't know who until it happens, but there are numerous examples of lower league payers who came good when released into the PL; Ian Wright - Kevin Phillips - Vardy for example.

I'm sure we'll add a few IF we go up, but much of that depends on who is available rather than who we want to replace.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Bruno, Greer, Calderon and Zamora have made significant contributions to our achievement this season but are possibly going to be too old/slow to play at the next level consistently enough to warrant a place in a 25 man squad which in my book is bloody sad.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Bruno, Greer, Calderon and Zamora have made significant contributions to our achievement this season but are possibly going to be too old/slow to play at the next level consistently enough to warrant a place in a 25 man squad which in my book is bloody sad.

Not sure I agree about Bruno, but the other three, sadly yes.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Totally agree, other than the Palace bit - Wurzel seemed to buy anyone with legs and they suffered as a result. Luckily for them he fell on his sword and Pulis rescued them.

Based upon our signings so far this season, we are adding quality now and will continue to do so sensibly.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Keep the same team till January then see, if we Yo Yo for a couple of years then that would be fun, awful, fun, awful etc

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Bit rash to make such a judgement now. Some players can raise their game when playing at a higher level - some won't. We won't know who until it happens, but there are numerous examples of lower league payers who came good when released into the PL; Ian Wright - Kevin Phillips - Vardy for example.

I'm sure we'll add a few IF we go up, but much of that depends on who is available rather than who we want to replace.

just my opinion old boy......not a judgement...!! if we get past hull in the fa cup and get a prem team like arsenal, everton or spurs then we'll have a better idea...:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here