Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If we want to rub shoulders with the elite, we need to get used to this feeling.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Who were Man U actually missing due to injury? Two centre backs but otherwise weren’t they full strength? Does scot mc count?

We were missing two right backs (although Veltman fit enough for bench lamptey would have been an option for tiring attackers as well), lallana, Sarmiento and crucially Ferguson. Not to mention Moder and of course Mwepu. This meant that we just didn’t have impact players off the bench. As others have said, they brought in Sancho who probably cost more than every player who featured for us today combined.

Some Manc fans I spoke to seemed shocked how many we didn’t have available when they said that we could only compete due ti injuries.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Who were Man U actually missing due to injury? Two centre backs but otherwise weren’t they full strength? Does scot mc count?

We were missing two right backs (although Veltman fit enough for bench lamptey would have been an option for tiring attackers as well), lallana, Sarmiento and crucially Ferguson. Not to mention Moder and of course Mwepu. This meant that we just didn’t have impact players off the bench. As others have said, they brought in Sancho who probably cost more than every player who featured for us today combined.

Some Manc fans I spoke to seemed shocked how many we didn’t have available when they said that we could only compete due ti injuries.
Exactly. And the narrative was “poor Utd, they’re missing a couple of CBs”. Still started about £70m worth of CBs though, as well as a £50m RB and another LB that cost them about £15m.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
They say you've gotta lose one to win one. What we did here was gain a whole lot of experience. Ten Haag did us tactically and we need to learn to counter that blocking of the middle. We also still need too many shots to score and when our finishing improves the. We will move up another level.

More off the bench would have definately helped too.
I think that's being overly generous to him. De Gea made a couple of good saves, Welbeck misssed a great opportunity to score, we had at least one shot just go the wrong side of the post. Any of them go in we win the game. That's not Man Utd doing is tactically, it's them riding their luck a bit. And lets be fair, so did we - Man U had some opportunities that on another day could have won the game.

It was a evenly balanced contest. It went to penalties for a reason, and that's that neither manager out did the other.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think that's being overly generous to him. De Gea made a couple of good saves, Welbeck misssed a great opportunity to score, we had at least one shot just go the wrong side of the post. Any of them go in we win the game. That's not Man Utd doing is tactically, it's them riding their luck a bit. And lets be fair, so did we - Man U had some opportunities that on another day could have won the game.

It was a evenly balanced contest. It went to penalties for a reason, and that's that neither manager out did the other.
We struggled to okay through centre midfield more than usual with the ball at Dunk and Webster's fee. Looked like he had the striker chasing down and midfielders sitting on Caicedo and Mac Allister, our preferred passing patterns were disrupted.

At least that's how it looked to me, but I don't get to watch the team live so may be off the mark somewhat.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
We struggled to okay through centre midfield more than usual with the ball at Dunk and Webster's fee. Looked like he had the striker chasing down and midfielders sitting on Caicedo and Mac Allister, our preferred passing patterns were disrupted.

At least that's how it looked to me, but I don't get to watch the team live so may be off the mark somewhat.
I guess it comes down to how you define 'tactically doing' someone. To me, that indicates you snuff out their threats and are never in danger of losing. We still threatened. While he may have stifled one or two of our usual routes to goal, we still dominated possession and created enough chances to have won the game. Welbeck's header goes in, we win. How can that be a case of being done tactically? Enciso's shot goes the other side of the post, 1-0 to the good guys, bring on City!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I guess it comes down to how you define 'tactically doing' someone. To me, that indicates you snuff out their threats and are never in danger of losing. We still threatened. While he may have stifled one or two of our usual routes to goal, we still dominated possession and created enough chances to have won the game. Welbeck's header goes in, we win. How can that be a case of being done tactically? Enciso's shot goes the other side of the post, 1-0 to the good guys, bring on City!
yeah possibly my definition was a little hyperbolic but I do think Ten Haag played it quite well both by blocking our preferred patterns and the constant use of the dark arts of football. From what I saw we never got fully into our groove and created enough chances for us to put one away, we often need too many.

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
We will never be a able to compete with state owned clubs, we have proved we can against the top six, but City & Newcastle will become untouchable even for United.

We are a very very good side currently, but our lack of depth was evident today, when we really could not bring on a game changer or equal to a player who started bar Veltman.
This. As long as TB continues with the 'sustainability' model, and I hope he does, we will never have the money to buy players to match the wealthier squads. That doesn't mean we won't be able to beat them on a regular basis, or have a great season like this one, but in the long term we are only ever going to be an also ran club that will continue to lose players and managers to 'bigger' sides. It's the way of the world, sadly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here