Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If we had two points more and in the driving seat would you be happier about Saturday?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I feel happier going into the game in the knowledge that it is not ours to blow. That pressure may mount on Reading, particularly if they start the game badly.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Halftime on Saturday will be huge. The impact of hearing who's ahead, behind or level will potentially kill one team with the pressure. All that "we will avoid the scores" rubbish will be a lie.

Let's hope we're up, and Reading are down at halftime, and that the pressure pays off.

I don't really agree with this. If you were manager of Reading, you'd tell them from the outset they need to win the game and if you do, it is job done. It doesn't matter what is going on in the other game, it doesn't matter if it's 0-0 at half time, it's all about the result at 90 mins. Ultimately, it's all about whether they play well enough to beat a good Burnley side at home.

I think anyone would rather have that pressure than the pressure of trying to fire up your players to win *in case* the other match goes our way.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I think that if we lose to Forest, there may be some comfort if Reading win, meaning our result was immaterial, but other than that I would rather we had the power in our own hands.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Hoping the Reading players are now starting to get VERY nervous.

Not nearly so much pressure on ours.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I was reading a brief preview of the play off position earlier and it said, and I quote 'Reading have to match or better Brighton's result at Notts Forest.' Of course it doesn't change anything, but it just sounded better with the onus being on them.

The onus is on them. If they win, there's nothing we can do about it.

I've just posted elsewhere, though, that it is an achievement for us to be where we are after the summer we had last year, and where we were 3 or 4 years ago. Seeing that Reading are on parachute payments, recent premiership squad etc etc, it will be comparative failure, in my view, for them to squeak in to 6th place.

In Ashley Barnes we trust...... and yes, I did always like him.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I'd be happier if Burnley had 6 points less, so in theory Derby could still have caught them, so they would need to win to guarantee promotion.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If we had two points more and in the driving seat would you be happier about Saturday?
Wow, you may have out-done ROTR for stupid question of the month there. No offence like.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Not at all. But those points could prove to mean a happier Sunday!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'd be happier if Burnley had 6 points less, so in theory Derby could still have caught them, so they would need to win to guarantee promotion.

Not sure I buy that. They would be playing with all sorts of pressure on them making it a tense game. Instead, Burnley go there with pride at stake which is can be a massive motivator. They are right now already preparing for the Premier League, they will not want to go out on a defeat. I know it's easy to think they go there with nothing to play for, but for the first time this season, they play with absolute freedom and enjoyment. I think it's better for us they've already secured 2nd I really do.*

*they will undoubtedly now play as if already on their holidays......:facepalm:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Not sure I buy that. They would be playing with all sorts of pressure on them making it a tense game. Instead, Burnley go there with pride at stake which is can be a massive motivator. They are right now already preparing for the Premier League, they will not want to go out on a defeat. I know it's easy to think they go there with nothing to play for, but for the first time this season, they play with absolute freedom and enjoyment. I think it's better for us they've already secured 2nd I really do.*

Yep the players are still playing for their future and have something to prove on a personal level. To pummel Ex Prem Reading would be a bonus farewell present to the Championship.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Fair point. I only hope they don't try to give a chance to those not normally in the starting 11. They know this is a big game for other clubs, so no doubt they'll be professional - as will Forest.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Personally I wouldn't. Still think it is mentally difficult when the pressure is only on you to win. If we had to go to Forest knowing a win does it I think we might bottle. however knowing that a win may or may not do it might actually help us a little to get the right result.

Whilst in Reading they face the mental hazard of it being in their hands to lose. If Burnley are up for it and make a good start that could play on this mental weakness.

Sorry mate, that sounds like the untrustworthy voice of optimism. But I would dearly love it to be true :)

Football fan logic this? Somewhere on the scale in between belief in homeopathy and UFOs

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here