Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If we had lost to Ipswich last season, would you have wanted McGhee sacked ?

oapdodge

Jul 15, 2003
If we had got relegated last season losing to Ipswich on the last day of the season would everyone have called for his sacking ?
We stayed up somehow.
This season we started without our best player from the previous season Virgo, we sold an England U21 full back Harding, we spent all our money on trying to get a new ground rather then investing in staying in the Championship. Was Turienzo purchased by Knight or McGhee ? Was Kuipers in goal at the end of last season ? Leon Knight has always been a little sh*t.
McGhee has made mistakes this season by his own admission but why the witch hunt ?
What did you expect ? Why should we have improved on last season with a weaker squad ?
Is McGhee to blame or the board ?
Who are we going to replace him with ?
Do we replace the whole backroom staff ?
Years ago fans wanted to kick Martin Hinshelwood out of the club, luckily he was kept on to oversee the youth policy. I hope the board do not make a knee jerk reaction.
He has a proven track record of getting sides promoted from League 1, I hope he gets another opportunity with us.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Take your rational, senisble ass and get the hell out of here.

Good post, I like it:clap: :clap:

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Fantastic question, and most people's honest answer would be no. And as you rightly pointed out, the circumstances hardly got easier this season.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
This seasons form was obvious from the end of last season as we won only 1 game in the last 2 months of the season against already relegated Rotherham.
But I ask you this question if Magoo does stay and gets us promoted again will he have sufficiently learnt his lesson from this season and so avoid all the mistakes he has made ?

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Ernest said:
This seasons form was obvious from the end of last season as we won only 1 game in the last 2 months of the season against already relegated Rotherham.
But I ask you this question if Magoo does stay and gets us promoted again will he have sufficiently learnt his lesson from this season and so avoid all the mistakes he has made ?
I hope so.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
In answer to the original question; no, I wouldn't. He wouldn't have deserved it as he does now.

It's never been as simplistic as relegation = sacking. See the difference in reaction when we were last relegated. McGhee's unpopularity is much more about the numerous blunders he's made this season, and the numerous unfavourable incidents he's been involved in. Whilst he was successful on the pitch, there was an argument for keeping him, despite his bad work off it. Now that he's failed in that department, and failed badly, there's no reason to keep him.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
McGhee took a team top of League One by 4 points with a game in hand, to a team that went completely defensive and played some of the worst, negative, defensive football i have seen in a while. We struggled past a poor Swindon and Bristol City in the play offs, but i guess we did make it through. That is why i thank him for coming. I would never of had the chance to see us play at the Millennium, as we would have gone up automatically, He turned us into a poor mans version of Norway.

Yes we had a system, and yes it was kind of solid, but we were attacking teams, attracting really great players, and playing some great football before he arrived wit Mr Coppell.

Leon was a little sh*t but Coppell had him under his thumb, told him he was the greatest striker the universe has ever seen, and played to his strengths. Knight then flourished and scored game after game.

He had the biggest transfer budget we've had in well forever. We spent over six figure sums of money on carole, turienzo and kazim richards.

He bought in the likes of mccammon who cost us money to sign him, and insultingly cost us money when we escaped relagtion last season.

He never played people in their correct positions, and he never played to their strengths and it took its toll.
Hart - Striker, Winger - played in defence
Lynch - maybe the best centre back in the youth team for ages - plays at left back
Hinshlewood - IS THE GREATEST CENTRAL DEFENDER we've probably had in 20 years and he is not a right winger let alone right back
Kuipers - saves us so much, who cares if he cant kick it past the halfway line. Henderson was directly at fault for far too many goals

Yes circumstances were tough, i give that to him, but we were sh*t and he couldnt motivate us, or inspire Kazim-Richards to last 90 minutes without him looking like he was breathing out his arse and about to die.

When we play with a 4ft3 striker, he should stop playing them as target men and hoofing it too them and playing with 2 wingers.

When we play with 6ft7 strikers we shouldnt play the ball to there feet, with the balls going into the channels, or drop the 2 wingers

When other teams make substitutions or change formation WE ARE ALLOWED to do the same

Slagging of players in public is a big big no no, what stays in the "4 walls" should stay there!

I could go on, but i'm fed up of ranting

We need another manager, its just not working, and we cant have him ruin the start of next season before its too late to recover

Success next year would play off zone minimum

Finishing 10 points behind last seasons total is a bit thick dwarf syndrome - its not big and its not clever

Last edited:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
mendoza10 said:
McGhee took a team top of League One by 4 points with a game in hand, to a team that went completely defensive and played some of the worst, negative, defensive football i have seen in a while. We struggled past a poor Swindon and Bristol City in the play offs, but i guess we did make it through. That is why i thank him for coming. I would never of had the chance to see us play at the Millennium, as we would have gone up automatically, He turned us into a poor mans version of Norway.

At least get your facts right. Have you forgotten when McGhee tookover. By the time he came in we had lost three games in a row and had dropped into the bottom of the play off zone. By the time he had been in charge for two games (still settling in) we were out of the play offs.

When McGhee came in we had lost Henderson (returned to Reading) and Rodger (injury). If you cannot get your facts right then do not make statements like that.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Finchley Seagull said:
At least get your facts right. Have you forgotten when McGhee tookover. By the time he came in we had lost three games in a row and had dropped into the bottom of the play off zone. By the time he had been in charge for two games (still settling in) we were out of the play offs.

When McGhee came in we had lost Henderson (returned to Reading) and Rodger (injury). If you cannot get your facts right then do not make statements like that.

October
4th - We beat Grimsby to go 4 points clear at top of table with Coppell in charge
18th - lose 1-0 to Bournemouth still top of league
21st - lose 4-0 to Brentford still top of league
25th - lose 1-0 to Stockport, slip into 2nd

November
1st - draw 2-2 with Peterborough - McGhees 1st game in charge, slip into 3rd
8th - lost in 1st round FA cup to Lincoln
15th - lose 4-1 to Bristol City, down into 7th
22nd - win 2-1 away to Notts County (England win Rugby World Cup) upto 4th
29th - win 2-0 home to Wrexham, into 3rd our highest position for the rest of the season

December
4th we lose 2-1 to QPR slip down to 4th and never get any higher

make of that what you like.....

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
oapdodge - you make no mention of any positives from this season, I wonder why! Given your comments and observations could I politely suggest that you've seen very few Albion matches this season?

a year on - we go from a gutsy performance against a lacklustre Ipswich side, to a pitiful performance against an average Stoke side - progress, what progress?

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Answer = no.

Why was ElAbd left out on Sunday?
Why was Reid not playing in midfield?
Why was Frutos, poor at Molineux, playing?
Why did McGhee state before the game that he would play his strongest team (denying young players experience)? Then, after the dreadful hammering, say that the game didn't matter anyway?
Why did he make such an issue of not playing young players ? Ironically our best players were Lynch, CKR and Loft and also Nicolas who has been ignored for a long time.

In short, McGhee has been a poor manager this season. Obviously only a miracle worker could have kept us up. But the manner of our relegation has been dire and 3 goals in the last 8 home games is atrocious. Next season we need to rebuild and several key players will have to be replaced. Is McGhee the man for that job?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
last season had we of gone down we would have done it with a bit of pride, a lot of decent performances and generally having had a good season

this year we went down with no pride, a handful of decent appearances and lets be honest, it has been a complete disaster

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Definietely not - only in the last 10 games did we start looking a pretty poor side, around christmas we'd been looking very good.

This season we've had the odd win in between a lot of shit performances, being consistantly crap.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
mendoza10 said:

Yes we had a system, and yes it was kind of solid, but we were attacking teams, attracting really great players, and playing some great football before he arrived wit Mr Coppell.

Leon was a little sh*t but Coppell had him under his thumb, told him he was the greatest striker the universe has ever seen, and played to his strengths. Knight then flourished and scored game after game.

He had the biggest transfer budget we've had in well forever. We spent over six figure sums of money on carole, turienzo and kazim richards.

He bought in the likes of mccammon who cost us money to sign him, and insultingly cost us money when we escaped relagtion last season.

He never played people in their correct positions, and he never played to their strengths and it took its toll.
Hart - Striker, Winger - played in defence
Lynch - maybe the best centre back in the youth team for ages - plays at left back
Hinshlewood - IS THE GREATEST CENTRAL DEFENDER we've probably had in 20 years and he is not a right winger let alone right back
Kuipers - saves us so much, who cares if he cant kick it past the halfway line. Henderson was directly at fault for far too many goals

Yes circumstances were tough, i give that to him, but we were sh*t and he couldnt motivate us, or inspire Kazim-Richards to last 90 minutes without him looking like he was breathing out his arse and about to die.

When we play with a 4ft3 striker, he should stop playing them as target men and hoofing it too them and playing with 2 wingers.

When we play with 6ft7 strikers we shouldnt play the ball to there feet, with the balls going into the channels, or drop the 2 wingers

When other teams make substitutions or change formation WE ARE ALLOWED to do the same

Slagging of players in public is a big big no no, what stays in the "4 walls" should stay there!

I could go on, but i'm fed up of ranting

We need another manager, its just not working, and we cant have him ruin the start of next season before its too late to recover

Success next year would play off zone minimum

Finishing 10 points behind last seasons total is a bit thick dwarf syndrome - its not big and its not clever
Blimey, you do have an over-inflated opinion of the Albion. :eek:

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Repugnant Toad said:
In answer to the original question; no, I wouldn't. He wouldn't have deserved it as he does now.

It's never been as simplistic as relegation = sacking. See the difference in reaction when we were last relegated. McGhee's unpopularity is much more about the numerous blunders he's made this season, and the numerous unfavourable incidents he's been involved in. Whilst he was successful on the pitch, there was an argument for keeping him, despite his bad work off it. Now that he's failed in that department, and failed badly, there's no reason to keep him.

:clap2: :clap2: Reading down the thread i was almost crying at the amount of people agreeing with the first post but then I read this one. Well done RT :clap:

mendoza10 said:
October
4th - We beat Grimsby to go 4 points clear at top of table with Coppell in charge
Grimsby was Bob Booker's first game in charge, he had taken over the previous Thursday. I'll repeat Finchley Seagull's appeal to you to get your facts right.

Coppell did leave with us top, but by just one point with no games in hand, not the misinformation you stated. 1 point covered the top 3 teams, a mere 4 points the first 8 teams. Not surprising that, as only 12 games had been played.

There was still three-quarters of the season to go, yet I guess people like you already thought we had the right to be promoted automatically by then.

You sum up the mindset of the kind of Albion fan who thinks we have an automatic right to be in the Championship even with our dire facilities and precious little money.

You belittle the enormous acheivement of McGhee reaching the Championship by pretending it was some kind of consolation prize, rather than a remarkable acheivement over a free-scoring Swindon side and a much better funded Bristol side.

Great football under Coppell? Total myth. He had one classier player Rodger but this veteran's career ended before Coppell left, otherwise it was the same honest triers in midfield scrapping away. The finest football we played that season was beating the Champions Plymouth in front of the Sky cameras in January.

Leon - "your greatest striker in the universe under Coppell" scored 8 goals under Coppell, 3 under Booker and 16 under Mark McGhee.

We spent an initial £55K on CKR rising to about £100k after appearances, they might have been triggered by now, not sure. Carole was a free but we paid agents fees for him and Frutos combined.

McCammon did not cost us money to sign him initially, more myths from you, he was a free. £10k to Millwall for Big Mac when we acheived the brilliant success of surviving on the last day of the season was not an insult, but again that sums up your attitude that we have an automatic right to be in Championship.

Lynch has been a success at leftback. Hinsh also played rightback under Coppell, gonna slag him off for playing players out of position? Like Ingimarrson in midfield? Have an argument with your fellow Magoo outers about Hendo, even with their jaundiced eyes they see him as a fine signing.

"Success would be finishing play-off zone minimum" - course it is, after all, don't we have a god given right to be playing in the Championship? - sack any manager who doesn't achieve that - it's so simple. We'd get through a lot of managers if you were our chairman, no doubt about that.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
To be fair the quality of football did drop after Coppell left. The Rushden away game was brilliant. That was the best performance of the season by a long way in my opinion. It's not often the opposition manager comes out and says "Brighton were just too good for us". I think the transitional period between Coppell and McGhee hampered us a little although I'd blame Coppell for walking out on us.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
mendoza10 said:
October
18th - lose 1-0 to Bournemouth still top of league
21st - lose 4-0 to Brentford still top of league
25th - lose 1-0 to Stockport, slip into 2nd

November
1st - draw 2-2 with Peterborough - McGhees 1st game in charge, slip into 3rd
8th - lost in 1st round FA cup to Lincoln
15th - lose 4-1 to Bristol City, down into 7th
22nd - win 2-1 away to Notts County (England win Rugby World Cup) upto 4th
29th - win 2-0 home to Wrexham, into 3rd our highest position for the rest of the season

December
4th we lose 2-1 to QPR slip down to 4th and never get any higher

make of that what you like.....

Ok well here's what I make of that:

Caretaker bosses lose 3 games, puts club in slight downward spiral. New boss comes in, knows very little of the club and players, and has a slightly indifferent (yet not terrible) start as a manager in the first month.

At which point, form steadies up and we maintain the league position, and get through the playoffs with a little luck (but how many teams have got through the playoffs without luck?).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here