Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

IF we get Conway back, who would be be your first choice winger?

IF we get Conway back who would be your first choice winger?

• Total voters

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Retirement, why?

We know from during Gus's tenure that he had an injury that had to be managed and was proving difficult to resolve. Hence his regular spells of being injured.

This time though he has come back and seems unable or unwilling to sprint. That for me is a major worry as before a player comes back on the pitch he should have been brought up to full sprinting capability in training. Either his physical condition has deteriorated so that he can't sprint to anywhere near the same speed as before or he is scared to, in case he injures himself.

This problem has been hanging over him for some years now. Take the speed out of Will Buckley's game and what have you got left.

I wonder whether it will end his career.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Lua Lua and Conway. The 3 in midfield would need to be Orlandi, Ince and Bridcutt. Buckley is of no use as we seem to completely ignore having a winger actually playing out wide.

This probably. But note that leaves no room for Barnes and Crofts, so would like to see them both come on or maybe start with Barnes out wide, probably instead of Kaz, or even Orlandi out wide, with Crofts or Agustein, or Lopez, in the creative hole.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Conway because it seems that we can rely on him being 100% fit and is consistent in his performance.

There is nothing worse than players dropping out through injury and then needing time to get used to playing again.

With Conway here it also means anyone who is injured is not brought back too soon thus preventing further and unecessary injuries.

If Conway comes back and we have KLL, Buckley and Orlandi fit, and Lopez on form, we have great options.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The standings on this poll show how quickly things change in football and how fickle we are as fans. Bringing in Conway was a master stroke by Burke/Jones/Oscar. A few games in we were moaning how he brought nothing to the team, now the vast majority prefer him to Buckley.

Maybe, if Oscar persists with Buckley we could all change our minds again in a month :lolol:

I love the ride on the BHA roller coaster.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Conway because it seems that we can rely on him being 100% fit and is consistent in his performance.

There is nothing worse than players dropping out through injury and then needing time to get used to playing again.

With Conway here it also means anyone who is injured is not brought back too soon thus preventing further and unecessary injuries.

If Conway comes back and we have KLL, Buckley and Orlandi fit, and Lopez on form, we have great options.

All of this, but you've forgotten about Barnes. Oscar plays 4-3-3/4-5-1. As yesterday demonstrated, Ulloa will play as the one up top for the vast majority of time when he's fit for the very simple reason that he scores goals -- there's no-one who comes near him at this crucial attribute in our entire squad. As yesterday also demonstrated, Barnes is a really useful squad player, who will be used wide of Ulloa. This all goes to show that we have a great squad, but this great squad needs to start winning, and winning consistently, against the teams in the bottom half of the table.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Lua Lua is good for about 30 minutes. Buckley has been poor this season - Conway took a while to get going but impressed, and with Ulloa back - his supply could get us goals.

Sign him up !!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
All of this, but you've forgotten about Barnes. Oscar plays 4-3-3/4-5-1. As yesterday demonstrated, Ulloa will play as the one up top for the vast majority of time when he's fit for the very simple reason that he scores goals -- there's no-one who comes near him at this crucial attribute in our entire squad. As yesterday also demonstrated, Barnes is a really useful squad player, who will be used wide of Ulloa. This all goes to show that we have a great squad, but this great squad needs to start winning, and winning consistently, against the teams in the bottom half of the table.

Agree we are very lucky to have Barnes and with him being a striker and playing wide, he knows what Ulloa needs from him. They do seem to have a good understanding and a lot of respect for each other

Regarding consistency I believe that we are still on a learning curve and you can only learn from mistakes. Under Gus it always felt that we played with fear and were over cautious, to the point where our players never stepped out of their comfort zone.

As long the players learn from their individual and team mistakes from the video post mortems, it's constructive whether we win, lose or draw.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why have Lua Lua as an impact sub as when he's been playing he's been just about our best player this season?

Because that is where and how he is most useful to us. His normal game time is about 30 mins then he gets rumbled and played out of the game so bring him on with 25-30 mins to go and he will be a revelation. Start him and before half time he is blown out and producing nothing.

I would disagree with you over having been our best player when he has played.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Because that is where and how he is most useful to us. His normal game time is about 30 mins then he gets rumbled and played out of the game so bring him on with 25-30 mins to go and he will be a revelation. Start him and before half time he is blown out and producing nothing.

I would disagree with you over having been our best player when he has played.

I would also disagree about KLL being our best player -- he's got no goals, and only two assists (and a plethora of free-kicks). Best players have been Crofts, Upson and Ince, along with Ulloa (when he's played).

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Agree we are very lucky to have Barnes and with him being a striker and playing wide, he knows what Ulloa needs from him. They do seem to have a good understanding and a lot of respect for each other

Regarding consistency I believe that we are still on a learning curve and you can only learn from mistakes. Under Gus it always felt that we played with fear and were over cautious, to the point where our players never stepped out of their comfort zone.

As long the players learn from their individual and team mistakes from the video post mortems, it's constructive whether we win, lose or draw.

I like what you say about consistency, and about how Gus perhaps installed a certain fear that Oscar is working out of the system.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham

Correct...

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I like what you say about consistency, and about how Gus perhaps installed a certain fear that Oscar is working out of the system.

It is most noticeable comparing the way Bridcutt always played under Gus, he was always used as a safety net and slowing the game down with backwards and sideways passes rarely going far past the halfway line. I think he only dared to have one shot in the two Championship seasons under Gus, but in the few games he has had under Oscar he has had seven or eight, plus he took several great corners on Saturday.

It is good to see players developing different sides to their game and expressing themselves.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Buckley - just needs his confidence back. Big fan of Conway and Kaz too though. Having all 3 fit at the same time would be great for the squad.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
I would play whoever is on form. If all are on form, Buckley gets the vote. On current form though it's obviously Conway.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It is most noticeable comparing the way Bridcutt always played under Gus, he was always used as a safety net and slowing the game down with backwards and sideways passes rarely going far past the halfway line. I think he only dared to have one shot in the two Championship seasons under Gus, but in the few games he has had under Oscar he has had seven or eight, plus he took several great corners on Saturday.

It is good to see players developing different sides to their game and expressing themselves.

Bridcutt hit a great shot from distance in the first half on Boxing Day that was only a whisker wide of the post.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here