Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] If we don't score against Chelsea...

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
It’s odd. My Albion mojo had been bouncing along merrily but after today I’ve gone all bedwetty. Bloody Palace winning and Leeds being superplucky has suddenly got me worried that we’ve hardly spent a bean on new players.

I know it’s not all about spending but about spending wisely and I’m pretty sure we’ve done just that but even the Nigels found £19 million under their mattress. I’d feel a lot better about the season if we got a striker in. Or we beat Chelsea. Or Ali J turned out to be a dead eyed assassin in front of goal.

I think I’ve had too long to dwell on all of this. Just need to get the season started.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It’s odd. My Albion mojo had been bouncing along merrily but after today I’ve gone all bedwetty. Bloody Palace winning and Leeds being superplucky has suddenly got me worried that we’ve hardly spent a bean on new players.

I know it’s not all about spending but about spending wisely and I’m pretty sure we’ve done just that but even the Nig31s found £19 million under their mattress. I’d feel a lot better about the season if we got a striker in. Or we beat Chelsea. Or Ali J turned out to be a dead eyed assassin in front of goal.

I think I’ve had too long to dwell on all of this. Just need to get the season started.

Zero points and awful defending by Leeds and West Ham. Zero points for Stains.

Always relative reasons to be content.

No point focusing on CP every match week ... they’re just another bottom 13 club. Goals change games, until Zaha scored the opener, Stains were the only team in it.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Never beaten Chelsea in league. Hardly scored against either so the omens don’t look good. I know people say in football that’s got to change sometime but this is the Albion, come on. No chance of a home win. Most we can hope for is a plucky unlucky on another day defeat. Sorry. And btw, was right all the other times people called me a pessimist in this fixture I.e. never been wrong so suck on that rosey-tints when you shout me down! Besides, half of you let your kids run around in Samsung tops throughout the nineties and noughties so you can do one...:hilton:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

I know it’s not all about spending but about spending wisely and I’m pretty sure we’ve done just that but even the Nig31s found £19 million under their mattress. I’d feel a lot better about the season if we got a striker in. Or we beat Chelsea. Or Ali J turned out to be a dead eyed assassin in front of goal.

Make no mistake it is about spending. We’re not Liverpool, who can get away with one mediocre signing having spent 560 billion pounds in the past 4 seasons on their way to world domination! Nope, comparatively we’re still using groupon vouchers to dine at the Ritz. Set menu only. Still, better than Nando’s...

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
People who are already in meltdown mode would obviously continue to melt and people with a bit more calm and confidence probably wont be affected by a goalless loss against Chelsea.

It wont affect recruitment as buying expensive PL players is not something done based on emotion unless you have some weird Italian owner.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We are like Spurs little brother dream of good league finishes just don’t want to invest to get them. Apart from Hammers everyone has strengthened which is slightly worrying.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Can't get images to work... will try again.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It's a bit of a free hit. As always, a draw would be quality, even if it's a drab 0-0.

We need to start showing more ambition as fans. Suggesting every game against the Top Six is a free hit is unacceptable in our fourth season at this level.

I don’t expect to win but I do expect us to give them a game, which I think we will.

There are no free hits (which basically means accepting we’ll get beat) every game is winnable.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Made a similar comment on another thread and was reminded of Ulloa. I think he was THE decent striker signing in last 10 years, though, excluding Murray who should not have been sold in first place.

Personally think Maupay is a decent striker, 10 league goals in his first PL season for a bottom half team, that’s not shabby.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Oh, trust me, I'm not defeatist. Chelsea is not a game we expect anything from, so if we do get something, great. I also think it is about time we did beat them, as we never have, AFAIK.
4th Season in the PL should we still be handing out 3 points to teams as a given. If we had signed one marquee player for the last three seasons we would be looking half decent by now. Instead half the players have been shite, cheap but shite.

Wander what the odds for relegation will be after BHA 0 Chelski massive?

Bookies think 14th

E9E11987-07CF-4A7A-AB50-638AA197FD16.png

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
A free hit? So those ten points last season against top six were just a bonus, were they?

I think that might be 5 points against last season's top six :

Man City 4 - Brighton 0
Chelsea 2 - Brighton 0
Brighton 3 - Tottenham 0
Man Utd 3 - Brighton 1
Brighton 0 - Leicester 2
Liverpool 2 - Brighton 1
Tottenham 2 - Brighton 1
Brighton 1 - Chelsea 1
Leicester 0 - Brighton 0
Brighton 0 - Man Utd 3
Brighton 1 - Liverpool 3
Brighton 0 - Man City 5

Total 5 points

Maybe if we multiply our points last season by a factor of 2 we should have had 82? We would have finished 2nd and a Champions League place would await.

Thompson720

Jan 5, 2019
Patcham
We need to start showing more ambition as fans. Suggesting every game against the Top Six is a free hit is unacceptable in our fourth season at this level.

I don’t expect to win but I do expect us to give them a game, which I think we will.

There are no free hits (which basically means accepting we’ll get beat) every game is winnable.
I wouldn't say we're going to rollover, I'm just being realistic. I fully believe we'll give them a game and it'll be much tighter than previous encounters. I think the Free Hit wording is probably harsh on us, so my bad.

I still think it's going to take time though, which I'm okay with. We still finished in the bottom 6 each season remember, I don't think we're going to be top 10 yet, and thus get much out of the top 6-8 teams.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Watching MOTD this morning does make me start to question the clubs approach to signing a striker. I generally support our approach to transfers and yet in our fourth season in the PL we have one made one effective striker signing.

I know Callum Wilson divides opinion but for me he’s a premier league ready striker and recent England international who scores and makes goals. He was available for £20m, the same price we paid for a championship striker who had never played in PL.

He and his family lived on the south coast so we would have been an attractive proposition and we would have had him ready to go for our first game.

We may have someone better lined up but when will they arrive. For me the club overthinks it’s strategy and tries to be too clever in relation to forward players. I’m am becoming frustrated with it ms shops to be proved wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here