If we don't cheat we'll not even score, in this World Cup.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I have a feeling, a nasty inkling, that the ref's won't give us a thing. The articles in the British press have made us FIFA's public enemy number 1.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I have a feeling, a nasty inkling, that the ref's won't give us a thing. The articles in the British press have made us FIFA's public enemy number 1.

The head of the Dutch FA called for Blatter's head last week and it did them no harm last night.

Referees are less corrupt than members of the FIFA executive.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
No one complained when Michael Owen dived for a penalty against Argentina in 2002.

We should stop being whiny victims. If we do poor in the WC it's not due to referees, it's due to Glen Johnson being our first choice right back, Jordan Henderson being in midfield and Danny Welbeck up front.

I don't see where this idea that we've been badly treated by refs comes from. Sure, Fat Frank's goal was ruled out but that's counter-balanced by Hurst's goal in '66. There was Maradona's hand but, as El Pres points out, we can set Owen's dive against that.

That's it. I've been watching WCs since 1966 and I can only think of two really bad decisions go against us. Still, nothing like getting excuses in early

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My point was more to do with what's gone on already, in this World Cup.
I would seem unlikely for any team to go all the way without a touch of theatrics.

Nothing new, I know.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I don't see where this idea that we've been badly treated by refs comes from. Sure, Fat Frank's goal was ruled out but that's counter-balanced by Hurst's goal in '66. There was Maradona's hand but, as El Pres points out, we can set Owen's dive against that.

That's it. I've been watching WCs since 1966 and I can only think of two really bad decisions go against us. Still, nothing like getting excuses in early

Both Sol Campbells goals - in the '98 game against the Argies, and against Portugal in 2006

TaxiRichieUK

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
whether our players cheat or not, or opposition players cheat against us, when results do not go our way, we always have some lame excuse or reason to lay the blame at somebody elses door. People need to accept the fact that in international football especially in the world cup finals, we are simply not good enough at progressing through games past the group stage, and what i mean by this is, the mentality of the players, the technical ability to win a football match in an environment that we are naturally not comfortable at playing in ie climate etc

bernster

Sep 5, 2012
ye olde east sussex
On balance we have had a few good decisions and some bad ones.England don't do better because,down the years,there have been teams that are better than us.blaming the officials deflects from our own shortcomings.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Both Sol Campbells goals - in the '98 game against the Argies, and against Portugal in 2006

Both of which were, quite correctly, disallowed for fouls. The fact that Campbell didn't commit the fouls is irrelevant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports