Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If we cannot make a profit at the amex what are the long term options?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
It is funny (i.e. worrying and sad) that when we were at the planning/fighting stage for 'Falmer' there were figures banded around of the club needing anywhere between 12,000 -16,000 tickets sold per match to break even. Now look at the state of football. Even if we sell the Amex out every week we still apparently lose millions a year. The current options are we keep relying on a sugar daddy to cover the losses, or we get (and pay) only the players we can afford and suffer the consequences in terms of league position.
Those figures are irrelevant as that was if dick tight had got the go ahead for our new stadium...We don't have a morgage as bloom paid for it,but the outgoings will always be substantial and that's because players wages are bloody ridiculous.Its feasible that in time we'll produce some good youngsters and we'll be much better off.

You can't deny that our recruitment team are costing us millions and millions by getting in useless last minute panick buys with zero preparation.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Replace the overpaid stars

To be fair I wouldn't mind the odd overpaid star.

What I object to are the dozen or so overpaid journeymen and serial underachievers that form the bulk of our match day squads.

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
The problem isn't the fans excepting us being a championship club though. Its the club thats been building our expectations ever since our move to the amex. If when we got promoted to th championship the club spoke about us being where we should be and saying how we want to establish ourselves as a top championship club. Then thats what our expectations would be.
But instead all we hear is how we're prem ready and how when we get there we want to stay there.
even a few weeks ago tony bloom stated that the squad we've got is capable of promotion, when everyone can se by where we are in the league, were closer to lge 1 than the prem. And dont get me started on the management ( not good enough record for the conference south does that sammy )

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
The question is valid. Period.

The question is nonsense. The Amex reduces losses, not increase them. Championship football causes the losses.

A different question might have been valid. As championship football clubs lose ten million pounds a year on average, and Tony won't be around forever, what are the alternatives?

And a smart person would realise that the main two are:
Drop down a division or two, or
Try to get the club breaking even in the championship by maximising revenues (including by having a grata stadium) and maximising revenue from players by having one of the country's best young player academies.

I wonder which one Tony will choose?

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
How things change, the past couple of seasons everyone been talking of us hitting the big time.
now its lge 1. Just think with wigan expected to get a new lease of life, we really could be in the bottom 3 intime for xmas. What a joke a!

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Without the premiership pay cheque it seems the amex will struggle to break even.What long term options would we have outside the prem? Can anyone see the amex getting redeveloped for the uni and the Albion relocated to a sustainable stadia? Ground share at an upgraded enclosed ground possibly?:moo: Or can we hope to have a benefactor keeping us afloat for many years to come. The other option is making the stadia break even can this be done? I feel its a catch 22 with a lower player budget comes lower crowds surely.

I shouldn't really rise to the bait, but you are the most tedious poster on NSC.
And you have very strong competition.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Yes the recruitment tits do worry me,but in league one we'll have quiet a few youngsters from the academy in which could put our wage bill at around 7 million if we produce.
Immagine if we has sacked SH and appointed MM, can you imagine what hypocrites we would have looked like after the complaints high profile fans had made about homophobes chants by opposition fans. Not saying MM is homophobic but maybe a bit of a twit given his high salary.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
No bait,no hook,just a clear vision of the important issues and a incredible grip on the reality of the situation :moo:

Don't flatter yourself, your vision is not that incredible really. Anybody not chanting a blind 'Trust In Tony' mantra will share your views as to the reality of the situation to a lesser or greater extent. :shrug:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
An artificial pitch and ground share with a decent rugby club.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Just like Neville Chamberlain said "china is a riddle within an enigma" i will never understand the inability of people to see the clarity of the financial situation of football.:moo:

Churchill and Russia, but I think you knew that. Enough people are making vast amounts of cash to ever give a fig about the state or future or what the game could do for the world.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here