Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If we are serious about promotion, resting around 5 or 6 players saturday is a must.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Best two posts on NSC this year. Years ago an FA Cup match between two sides in the same division would attract a far higher crowd than the corresponding League fixture, now it's all a bit 'meh'. If the FA Cup is dying then it's not the fault of Sky, the PL or any of the other bogeymen - it's the fault of disinterested fans of clubs like Brighton.

The result of this game really matters. As an individual match it is far more important than the Bournemouth game or whoever we've got next in the league. A league game is one forty-sixth of a season and it is an undeniable fact that teams win matches and get relegated, they also lose them and get promoted. Consequently a single league game is relatively unimportant. Lose an FA Cup game however and you're out, finished. 'Concentrate on the League' used to be said as a sop by defeated managers and fans to try and lessen the pain of a cup defeat and the closure of an avenue towards a possible trophy; now it's become a philosophy in its own right.

And we CAN win the Cup. We're not Accrington Stanley, clubs at our level have won it before and I do find it incredible that people think that winning the FA Cup at Wembley is less important than winning a single midweek away game at somewhere like Bolton in 2010.

There. That's my FA Cup rant finished for another year. I'll say the same thing next season when once again I'll be told that the league is the priority as every season we must do better than we did last time.

Totally agree with you, unfortunately I can't see how this competition doesn't continue to lose its relevance. Sky and the mass TV audience that never was will drive that. Comments such that Lambert made yesterday don't help either.

Pity, not so long ago the cup was considered the real excitement of any clubs season

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The third round of the FA Cup is my favourite match of the season, and I now hope for a game at the Amex every year in this round.

A fourth round money spinner may just enable us to keep Liam, or fund a better deal for Rohan, despite what Tony said.

Palace and Cardiff are 2 sides that have done well in the other cup recently, and then got promotion soon after. It didn't halt their progression.

So, a strong team please. Let's make sure the smug soundbiter Adkins can't keep up again.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Quite a strong reserve side that...

Brezovan

Calderon
El-Abd
Dunk
Chicksen

March
Lopez
Andrews
Forster-Caskey
Orlandi

Barnes

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Wouldn't put out a weak side but there's room for some changes.

I want Kemy to play, might not be a popular view but I think he's class and just needs a run of games. Andrews will surely play, as he's on loan and sat on the bench for ages. Plus if Bridcutt is off, which I suspect he is, Andrews will be playing a lot more, so needs to be integrated again.

Barnes will probably start as he was a sub against Bournemouth and made a decent impact. I wouldn't mind Chicksen, as I don't personally rate Ward although I think that change might be pushing it a bit.

Kuszczak

Calderon
El-Abd
Upson
Ward

Andrews
Ince/Bridcutt
Agustien

David
Ulloa
Barnes

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
We are more likely to win the FA Cup than get automatic promotion.

I'm not so sure. Averaging about 2 points a game will get us automatic. That is certainly unlinkely, but I reckon it's more likely than winning the cup.

Agree with everything else you've said though.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Reading are decimated by injuries, particularly in the centre of defence. Their league form has suffered as a result and this is a decent time to play them.
Bridders will not play to avoid being cup-tied. As for the rest, you could make a case for Dunk replacing Upson and Chicksen coming in for Ward. Brez will be in goal. Andrews will play in front of the back four and the midfield will revolve around JFC, Agustien, Ince, Crofts, Orlandi and Lopez.
Ulloa needs game-time and must start and you'll have no width without KLL....so.....
Brez
Calde
ElAbd
Dunk
Chicksen
Andrews
Agustien
Ince
JFC
KLL
Ulloa

Like that team.

I'd through Orlandi in place of Agustien then swap at half-time.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I'd like to think that fringe players, if given the chance, will really relish it. Sadly, and not just with Albion, it's not always the case.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I would definely play Chicksen, Andrews and Agustein.
Need to give them some time to get fit (in the first two) and prove they're not a waste of wages and a shirt in Kemy's case.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here