Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] If Villa stay up by one point

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Didn't Sheffield United get a load of compo after they were relegated because an ineligible player (one of the Argies) scored the winner for wet sham at Man U some years ago. Sheff U were still relegated, though....

Edit: the ref did nothing because he's a twit.

Tevez.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Will Watford and Bmuff take action over the Sheff Utd 'goal'? I don't see what they can do, but I can understand them being very miffed about it. What I don't get is that it happpened just before half-time. During the interval, the ref would have been informed that it was a goal. So why didn't he ask Villa to let Sheff Utd walk the ball in straight from the second-half kick off? That would have been a fair solution.

I remember an Arsenal v Sheff Utd game actually being replayed in similar circumstances, yet nothing happened this time. Amazingly, moaning Villa fans still think they've been hard done by in terms of VAR decisions - completely forgetting about this incident!
The circumstances were not at all similar. In Sheff Utd-Arsenal, an Arsenal player scored when the Sheff Utd players were expecting him to give them the ball back. In the Villa-Sheff Utd match, the ref made a mistake.

The circumstances don't matter. All that happened, when you strip away the irrelevancies, is that the ref got it wrong. There is no precedent for teams giving up goals because the ref got it wrong, and there is no precedent for sueing the league becasue the ref got it wrong. Refs have got it wrong before and refs will get it wrong again.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The circumstances were not at all similar. In Sheff Utd-Arsenal, an Arsenal player scored when the Sheff Utd players were expecting him to give them the ball back. In the Villa-Sheff Utd match, the ref made a mistake.

The circumstances don't matter. All that happened, when you strip away the irrelevancies, is that the ref got it wrong. There is no precedent for teams giving up goals because the ref got it wrong, and there is no precedent for sueing the league becasue the ref got it wrong. Refs have got it wrong before and refs will get it wrong again.

Eh? The ref didn't get it wrong. It was a technical failure.

The ref was relying on the technology to tell him the ball was over the line.

That's the point - the technology failed. It wasn't human error.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
What shits me is this is exactly the type of howler that VAR was brought in to prevent. So we have a situation where the Sutd players are doing their nuts at the ref, the ref has the ability to check it and doesn't, the guys at Stockely have the ability to check it and don't. Instead they let it slide, realise the mistake and say oh well that's football WTF! Folk can say it was a technical error all they like, the fact is the humans in charge had the ability to double check and didn't, ultimately making it human error.
Never mind, keep checking those .5mm armpit infractions guys, you're doing a great job :shit:

Last edited:

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Eh? The ref didn't get it wrong. It was a technical failure.

The ref was relying on the technology to tell him the ball was over the line.

That's the point - the technology failed. It wasn't human error.

If the ref didn't get it wrong - are you saying that he got it right? It's simple - the ball crossed the line into the goal and the referee did not give a goal. Therefore he got it wrong.

All decisions on the field are given by the referee. Goals, red cards, penalties, offsides, are all signalled by one man alone - the referee. He has a lot of help from linesmen, fourth officials, hawkeye, VAR, etc., but the referee is the only one who makes the decision - and on this occasion, in spite of all the help that let him down, the wrong decision was made by the referee.

Anyway, the technicality of who got it wrong is a red herring. A football match was affected by a wrong decision by an official - that's the concept, and it isn't a novel concept, and it provides no grounds whatsoever for legal action.

Stumpy Tim

The Arsenal v Sheff Utd game was an FA cup tie that was only replayed at Wenger’s insistence (SU still lost). Not the same as a club losing a few hundred million quid in PL revenue.

Wasn’t it Mark Overmars that scored “that goal”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Arsenal v Sheff Utd game was an FA cup tie that was only replayed at Wenger’s insistence (SU still lost). Not the same as a club losing a few hundred million quid in PL revenue.

Wasn’t it Mark Overmars that scored “that goal”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No it was Kanu.

Arsenal gave Sheffield United a reply however the reply was played at Highbury instead of Bramell Lane.

The guy who sparked this wasn't talking about the Sheffield United cup match against Arsenal. He was talking about the season that Tevez played for West Ham, despite being ineligible, and his goal at Old Trafford on the final day of the season kept West Ham up and sent Sheffield United down.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Will Watford and Bmuff take action over the Sheff Utd 'goal'?

Watford and Bournemouth will have had 38 games to accumulate the points required to stay up.

If they fail to do so, they can't point to one incident in one game that they weren't even involved in and blame that for their relegation. If they go down then it is entirely on them and them alone.

Increasingly ****ed off with how people are unable or unwillingly to stand up and take responsibility for their own failings and the consequences of their own performance.

Last edited:

Eagle Slayer

Jul 15, 2007
Worthing
If they stay up on goal difference I can't see the other sides lying down and accepting it. Definitely could get messy and rightly so, they should have let sufc score or just added the goal at half time when they could clearly see it was a rightful goal.

I wonder if Villa go down on goal difference they would take action on the Mau Utd "free" penalty when the game was 0-0 ?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I wonder if Villa go down on goal difference they would take action on the Mau Utd "free" penalty when the game was 0-0 ?

Different tho, isn't it? This is what some people aren't getting. The Sheff Utd goal wasn't a mistake by the officials (on the pitch or manning the VAR). It wasn't human error - it was because the technology failed.

So there should have been some recourse. As it was, VAR and the ref were unable to overrule the decision because the numpties that run that game hadn't envisaged a situation when Hawkeye might not work. Still think Villa should have let Sheff Utd score.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Different tho, isn't it? This is what some people aren't getting. The Sheff Utd goal wasn't a mistake by the officials (on the pitch or manning the VAR). It wasn't human error - it was because the technology failed.

So there should have been some recourse. As it was, VAR and the ref were unable to overrule the decision because the numpties that run that game hadn't envisaged a situation when Hawkeye might not work. Still think Villa should have let Sheff Utd score.

That's where I am, too. A reminder of some of what the Premier League said when this was first introduced:

"Football is fundamentally a simple game; whichever side scores most goals wins. So, when one is scored, or indeed not scored, and we have the ability through technology to definitively know whether the ball crossed the line we should absolutely use it.

"Principally it is about getting it right. Fans, players and managers exhort, strain and stress respectively for their teams to score or prevent goals being scored, so we as administrators should do all that we can to ensure the correct decisions are being made."

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Will Watford and Bmuff take action over the Sheff Utd 'goal'? I don't see what they can do, but I can understand them being very miffed about it. What I don't get is that it happpened just before half-time. During the interval, the ref would have been informed that it was a goal. So why didn't he ask Villa to let Sheff Utd walk the ball in straight from the second-half kick off? That would have been a fair solution.

I remember an Arsenal v Sheff Utd game actually being replayed in similar circumstances, yet nothing happened this time. Amazingly, moaning Villa fans still think they've been hard done by in terms of VAR decisions - completely forgetting about this incident!

And if they go down by a point will they take action for the Villa goal wrongfully disallowed by the ref away at Palace early in the season. Its all swings and roundabouts.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
The ref wouldn't ask the teams to do that, it's not in his power for a start and would cause even more controversy with accusations of cheating etc.

If there was to be "walk in goal" it would have to come from one of the managers as we saw with Leeds vs Villa last season when Bielsa allowed Villa to walk the ball in after his players played on when they looked like they were going to put the ball out for an injured player to receive treatment.

The Arsenal vs Sheff Utd game was a cup game that Arsene Wenger offered to be replayed after Arsenal didn't return the ball to Sheff Utd following an injury and subsequently scored.

That was absolutely hilario!

[tweet]1122495242471714823[/tweet]

https://twitter.com/SkyFootball/status/1122495242471714823

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
And if they go down by a point will they take action for the Villa goal wrongfully disallowed by the ref away at Palace early in the season. Its all swings and roundabouts.

Yawn. As has been said many times in this thread - it's different. It was a TECHNICAL error, not a human error. Why can't people see the difference? The technology failed, nothing to do with ref cock ups.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Every other team had the benefit of working technology. This season Muff didn't. Muff would potentially still be PL if that goal had been ruled out. Potentially...

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
It happened to us as well (Dan Burn goal wrongly ruled out). So it must have happened to lots of clubs.

Yes, but that was VAR. Some blokes opinion in Stockly Park as to whether in or out. Goal line tech has been in action before VAR, and in Muffs defence, it failed. It worked for everyone else this season, and because not for them, they are relegated out of PL. Reckon they have some recourse?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
What goal was that? I recall a couple of offside goals that got ruled out.
Sorry if this makes you get all agressive and defensive again

Well that’s not the gesture of someone wanting a sincere dialogue is it!

You mean after a few of us (correctly) roasted you for being a misery guts and stepping in daily to complain about the Ben White topic?

Regards your question, I believe Dan had his first goal for us ruled at the Amex. Maybe Everton. But am sure someone has a better memory.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here