Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] IF there's a Christmas lockdown - would you comply?

Would you comply with a Christmas 2021 lockdown?

• yes, I'd comply.

Votes: 179 57.2%
  • no, I would not comply.

Votes: 134 42.8%

• Total voters

Chopera

Apr 23, 2021
Thanks to whoever it was who leaked that video of Allegra Stratton, an XMas lockdown would be political suicide for the Tories. It ain't happening.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Starting to feel a bit the same.

We’re double jabbed, soon to be tripled.

We’ve complied with every lockdown.

Wear masks everywhere.

Have done everything we’ve been asked to do, and are beginning to wonder who or what we’d now be protecting by yet another lockdown, should it happen.

I get the point about not overwhelming the NHS, but - to be honest - that alarm bell has been rung numerous times in the past, and it never really happened.

If people are now just getting mild symptoms, and deaths aren’t surging, then the cynic in me starts to wonder if the only real ‘at risk’ group now is the unvaccinated.

In which case, fvck ‘em.

Apart from the small segment who medically can’t have the vaccine - whom I do care about and wish to continue protecting - those who are choosing not to take it pretty much deserve to face any consequences now. Their choice, so why should others do any more for them now.

Meanwhile life has to start going back to normal. Maybe slowly, but I’m not sure there’s widespread willingness for things to go backwards yet again.

On overwhelming the NHS, I had the unfortunate experience yesterday of helping to sort out an elderly uncle (88) who had a fall yesterday morning. At 9am I had a call from his neighbour who had got him downstairs and ok with his morning carer, but she was having to go out, so I went down to be with him and got there about 9.30, while his son in Scotland was trying to sort things out with the NHS. To cut a long story short, a conversation with a nurse practitioner to arrange a telephone call with a doctor at 3.30. Before that he had another fall in the loo, after which I found it very difficult to get him up and back on the sofa, so I managed to bring forward that phone call, which happened at 3pm. Doctor advised ring 999 - probable UTI. Did so at about 3.30. Another fall, couldn’t get him up this time. Called 999 again about 4pm to elevate the priority - lying on the floor in the hall.

The ambulance got to us at 12.30am - about 9 hours (NINE HOURS) after the original call. With the help of neighbours we had got him back on the sofa, but he had about 2 hours on the floor - a frail 88 year old.

When the paramedics came, they were brilliant, took their time, kind and patient and making sure he was going to be treated right and sorted out. He’s in hospital now. They were also enormously frustrated at the pressure on them and their colleagues.

To be fair, a lot of this is down to decades of underfunding, and then austerity. But Covid is the very big straw which might have broken the camel’s back.

PS - you don’t realise how powerless and helpless you can feel in this sort of situation, powerless to do anything really positive for someone who is very dear to you.

Last edited:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I'm treble jabbed, had covid once, likely twice. I'm meeting people treble jabbed at Xmas. If anyone can tell me what else I can do to stop the spread I'm all ears. Inject the covid deniers. Let the rest of us go about our business. They are the villains of this. If you know one, get them to get a vaccine They are the selfish bells prolonging all this (kids are a separate argument).

And if you are reading this and you haven't been Vaccined and are over the age of 18, especially if you are over the age of 35.

GET A ****ING VACCINE.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
If Omicron gets lively in the next couple of weeks we will do tests before Xmas but we will still have family over for the day.
I'm tending to apply the phrase "Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men."

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
If Boris decides I cannot visit my in laws at Christmas time then who am I to argue...rules is rules

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
On overwhelming the NHS, I had the unfortunate experience yesterday of helping to sort out an elderly uncle (88) who had a fall yesterday morning. At 9am I had a call from his neighbour who had got him downstairs and ok with his morning carer, but she was having to go out, so I went down to be with him and got there about 9.30, while his son in Scotland was trying to sort things out with the NHS. To cut a long story short, a conversation with a nurse practitioner to arrange a telephone call with a doctor at 3.30. Before that he had another fall in the loo, after which I found it very difficult to get him up and back on the sofa, so I managed to bring forward that phone call, which happened at 3pm. Doctor advised ring 999 - probable UTI. Did so at about 3.30. Another fall, couldn’t get him up this time. Called 999 again about 4pm to elevate the priority - lying on the floor in the hall.

The ambulance got to us at 12.30am - about 9 hours (NINE HOURS) after the original call. With the help of neighbours we had got him back on the sofa, but he had about 2 hours on the floor - a frail 88 year old.

When the paramedics came, they were brilliant, took their time, kind and patient and making sure he was going to be treated right and sorted out. He’s in hospital now. They were also enormously frustrated at the pressure on them and their colleagues.

To be fair, a lot of this is down to decades of underfunding, and then austerity. But Covid is the very big straw which might have broken the camel’s back.

And that happened with low due-to-Covid numbers in hospital!

Similar to our hellish visit to Brighton A&E in October.

Plus my now twice postponed op.

Either the huge and growing sums pumped into the NHS are being targeted in the wrong places / layers of management, and/or we as a nation need to pay far more in taxes.

Can’t see there ever being a cross-party examination of how it runs so brilliantly in places such as Germany.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Whilst London schools are rife with Covid, the kids are merely typhoid Marys. The hospitals are starting to fill up with very ill anti-vaxers. Now I'm not that sympathetic to their plight, I am concerned for the NHS staff having to deal with it. If being stuck at home with my wife, kids, a mountain of festive food and a pile of Christmas pressies will save lives, then I say bring it on! Too cold to go out anyway.

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
I spent almost 2 weeks in bed with Covid last Xmas and was the sickest I've ever been, I woke up alone on Xmas morning, couldn't see my kids or any of my family and had the absolute worst Xmas ever. I won't be doing that again, not only have I had it I've been triple jabbed so that's safe enough for me and mine who feel the same. Lockdown can do one.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Well it's obvious isn't it? The objective is containment so that not everyone is ill at the same time and the hospitals can't cope with those who get it badly...

but we're now at the point where we need a long term strategy for the virus. I'm sorry but shutting off the economy every time there's a new variant doesn't cut it. it just doesn't.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
No.

I’ll be spending Christmas day with my in-laws and boxing day with my family regardless.

We stuck to the rules rigidly in the previous lockdowns and last Christmas not seeing any family at all. This year we’re all double/triple jabbed and won’t be missing out on precious time with the family again, we don’t get much time to spend with them throughout the year as it is and we’re all really looking forward to Christmas.

Everyone I speak to feels the same way too - good luck to them if they do try and enforce a lockdown.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
but we're now at the point where we need a long term strategy for the virus. I'm sorry but shutting off the economy every time there's a new variant doesn't cut it. it just doesn't.

It's a good job that there is little reason for that to be the case then.

There's a massive range of options that le between...

"We can't lock down again - we have to learn to live with the virus", and

"If we lock down again, we'll be doing it every winter for ever more".

If this flavour of Covid had visited us in early 2020, we really would have been ****ed, but it didn't. In about 20 months we have incredible vaccines that help to stop infection and , more importantly, prevent serious illness in most who do become infected. For those who do become ill we have a range of anti-virals becoming available with more to follow, and our incredible heath carers have learned how best to treat those who are severely ill.

Science will keep going, keep developing and keep improving how we deal with this wretched disease.

And all the whilst that is happening, populations are developing immunity through a combination of vaccines and prior infection.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Before we go to gigs and the like or see elderly relatives we take LFT tests. It's literally free, takes about a minute and provides peace of mind that we're unlikely to be infected and pass on the virus to someone who may not cope well with it.

If everyone did the same (and maybe most do) then it will massively help limit the risk of the family gatherings we all want to enjoy.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
My family are all jabbed up so no reason not to meet up. If we are just protecting the unjabbed then to be honest **** them.

I understand yours and others frustration with Covid, but please stop repeating this mantra that it’s only to protect the anti-vaxxers or the wilfully unvaccinated.

There are plenty of people who CAN’T have the vaccine and many, potentially a couple of million, who have had the vaccine, but due to their conditions have no idea if the vaccines are offering them any protection. These are the people that need protecting.

Anyway, as an extremely vulnerable household the current restrictions and threats of lockdown mean nothing to us, as we’ve been living it for the last 20 months.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Will be at the in laws. We're all jabbed, we don't have contact with anyone vulnerable, they all had it a month ago so will have some extra protection.

Lockdowns are for a world without vaccines.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
If the rest of the family are happy to meet over Christmas then so am I lockdown or not.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I would yes would comply, this will only happen if things are desperate.

Cases are sky high but thankfully severe illness is not at this stage

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
My Dad yesterday has been moved to a hospice so likely to be last sadly so absolutely nothing will stand in my way with spending as much time as possible with him this Christmas

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here