Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] If Sunak offered a referendum on bringing back the death penalty would you...

If Sunk offered a referendum on bringing back the death penalty - manifesto promise - would you

• Vote tory as planned

Votes: 14 6.6%
  • Switch to voting tory

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • Vote not tory as planned

Votes: 185 86.9%
  • Switch from voting tory to 'other'

Votes: 6 2.8%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The essence of the referendum is 'no detail'.

But the essence also is to create debate. So your debate is welcome. The possibilities are endless.

For example, whatabout having a separate vote on the degree of pain of the execution?

Oh no you've lost me there. We want to get rid of these undesirables, but we're not barbarians.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It has been proved time and time again the death penalty does not act as a deterant and if a society believes murder is wrong, clearly, it is then ridiculous to then murder someone

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I think there's a compromise to be had.

Anyone given a life stretch should be locked in a room with a loaded gun. The door only gets opened when a shot is fired.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Even someone as desperate as Rishi ?
I can't quite see him grabbing a kiddie off the street then demanding "Vote for us or the kiddie gets it".

(Frankly, he's not a very imposing man, and there is a fair chance that the kiddie would just flip him. Flip him for real.)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yeah you've found mine and to be honest, made me feel quite uncomfortable
The whole thing is uncomfortable, is it not? Play out the possibilities of such an election promise, run through the badly organized campaigns, the lack of clarity on how it would work, and one can easily end up in John Cooper Clark country. Bingo! We have executions, and they are at the discretion of a judge. And in local courts, a magistrate. All with as much planning as dear old Brexit.

There is a thin wedge between satire and tomfoolery, as Swift elaborated so well so long ago,

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The essence of the referendum is 'no detail'.

But the essence also is to create debate. So your debate is welcome. The possibilities are endless.

For example, whatabout having a separate vote on the degree of pain of the execution? This could all be encapsulated on the Prime Time Saturday evening show (I'm thinking Anna Richardson and Reggie Yates). We can have voting via txt (with a charge of £2 per txt, and see additional charges by service provider). The produces can spend the week selecting the wrongist of the wronguns for TV consideration.

But for the referendum, no details. The devil is in the detail and no right-thinking Christian wants that.
I'm thinking bring back The Golden Shot, but the contestant that wins through to the final, gets to fire the bolt at a death row prisoner who has won through to the death chamber by a version of Opportunity Knocks, where the clapometer of death selects the deserving prisoner.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
That is one of the state issues I changed my mind on
Welcome back to NSC - hope you had a good visit to Blighty.

Calafornia’s death penalty seems to be in a state of constant moratorium - why don’t they just take it off the Statute book?

So far with this grand Referendum promise, the Tories have made an aggregate of 2 votes 😂

That was campaign airtime well spent. 😎

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Oo I like that, but I also want a bit of razzmatazz, so maybe the results can be presented on a live show on Saturday night?

Nice name, and obviously we want a sponsor. Some gory video game might fit well?
With the obligatory long pause before the announcement. But then it could be taken a step further, and after the 'to be executed' has been named, we could have a follow-up vote and announcement on whether it's the firing squad, the hangman, the guillotine, the electric chair or injection.

Following the live show, they could have a second show on 'past miscarriages of justice' exonerating all those wrongfully convicted and executed.

Could be quite a gripping hour's watching. Maybe straight after The Lottery Show?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm thinking bring back The Golden Shot, but the contestant that wins through to the final, gets to fire the bolt at a death row prisoner who has won through to the death chamber by a version of Opportunity Knocks, where the clapometer of death selects the deserving prisoner.

I do think that you have spent more time thinking about this than is healthy ....................................

But, I think it's a winner :thumbsup:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
“Clapometer of Death” is either Inside No 9 or Black Mirror

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think there's a compromise to be had.

Anyone given a life stretch should be locked in a room with a loaded gun. The door only gets opened when a shot is fired.
I think it would take most of us less than 5 minutes to work out the best plan would be to shoot at something in the room where the risk of ricochet is small. Like a pillow, perhaps.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
With the obligatory long pause before the announcement. But then it could be taken a step further, and after the 'to be executed' has been named, we could have a follow-up vote and announcement on whether it's the firing squad, the hangman, the guillotine, the electric chair or injection.

Following the live show, they could have a second show on 'past miscarriages of justice' exonerating all those wrongfully convicted and executed.

Could be quite a gripping hour's watching. Maybe straight after The Lottery Show?
They can do the lottery bit while the votes are counted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here