Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] If Sunak offered a referendum on bringing back the death penalty would you...

If Sunk offered a referendum on bringing back the death penalty - manifesto promise - would you

• Vote tory as planned

Votes: 14 6.6%
  • Switch to voting tory

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • Vote not tory as planned

Votes: 185 86.9%
  • Switch from voting tory to 'other'

Votes: 6 2.8%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I can’t change my vote and i miss read and voted ‘switch from Tory to other’. What i meant was switch from Labour to other. but not an option
If the offer of a referendum would have you switch from labour to tory, this is covered by 'switch to voting tory'.

When people find it so difficult to understand the options and parameters involved in an election one realises the disadvantages of the universal franchise, compared with some sort of voter qualification process.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Another :fishing: political thread. When the Tories will be out of power for an age.

IMG_2139.png

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
It’s a vote that they would never have, a bit like one for strict controlled immigration, as they would genuinely be concerned about the respective results.

I‘m sure there are countless others, but when hanging was legal, it’s only the names of Timothy Evans and Ruth Ellis that jump out as people who were wrongly hung.

I didn’t realise that the death penalty was only removed from the statute book after the 1974 elections by Harold Wilson since then, just off the top of my head we’d have wrongly hung the likes of the Guildford 4, Birmingham 6, the three alleged killers of Carl Bridgwater, until you stop Police corruption or errors I would have to vote against it.

On the flip side we would have hung Sutcliffe, Whiting, Bishop, Huntley, Brady and a numbers of others which is the frustrating thing.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I think you have seen through the wheeze.....

The referendum, which will be offered before a general election (I'm guessing the one after this), will be just like the Brexit vote. A simple yes or no.

Of course politicians will discuss with the media where to draw the line (anything from premeditated murder to bringing the name of this great nation into disrepute).

Of course there will be scare mongering.

Of course there will be discussions in the media about whether it should be done humanely or with maximum pain.

There will be champions on each side; patriots on one and wishy-washy apologists for pedophiles on the other

And a brilliant an charismatic leader will emerge, promising to get Exit done.

I'll go with whatever it says on the bus.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them?
Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It’s a vote that they would never have, a bit like one for strict controlled immigration, as they would genuinely be concerned about the respective results.

I‘m sure there are countless others, but when hanging was legal, it’s only the names of Timothy Evans and Ruth Ellis that jump out as people who were wrongly hung.

I didn’t realise that the death penalty was only removed from the statute book after the 1974 elections by Harold Wilson since then, just off the top of my head we’d have wrongly hung the likes of the Guildford 4, Birmingham 6, the three alleged killers of Carl Bridgwater, until you stop Police corruption or errors I would have to vote against it.

On the flip side we would have hung Sutcliffe, Whiting, Bishop, Huntley, Brady and a numbers of others which is the frustrating thing.
Not sure you mean by your first sentence. If I were a right wing tory, worried by the decline in my party, offering a referendum on capital punishment as an election promise would be well worth consideration.

Not sure what a referendum on 'strict controlled immigration' has to do with anything. Everyone wants that, and we already have it anyway. Unfortunately we have a government who has spent 13 years neglecting the rubric to the point where it is now all a mess.

For information, Wilson removed the death penalty for treason (the last remaining criterion). None on your list were in the frame for that.

I am not inviting a discussion about the pros and cons of capital punishment. I am asking whether if such a referendum were offered as a general election policy commitment, how would it affect your vote. The options offered cover all eventualities.

You have, however, illustrated how people would react to the offer of such a referendum. It is exactly the same as how the nation and the media and the political parties reacted to the offer of an EU 'in out' referendum (with no rubric, no explanation of how it would work and nothing more than a default "majority of votes wins, now off you trot and vote").

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes, but only if we can choose who gets it via public phone-in
Smart phone option. You could then choose whether someone lives or dies with one hand, while eating a piece of toast with the other.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What we really need is a poll on who the show's presenters should be.
It could be done even simpler. On the mobile app, a series of mug shots are shown, together with the conviction, and you swipe left for prison, and right for execution.

The app could be monetized, too. "Sponsored by Stena Stair lifts"

And a name for it? "Daily Death Pix"?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It could be done even simpler. On the mobile app, a series of mug shots are shown, together with the conviction, and you swipe left for prison, and right for execution.

Oo I like that, but I also want a bit of razzmatazz, so maybe the results can be presented on a live show on Saturday night?

The app could be monetized, too. "Sponsored by Stena Stair lifts"

And a name for it? "Daily Death Pix"?

Nice name, and obviously we want a sponsor. Some gory video game might fit well?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Why just stop at the death penalty, the referendum should be for hung, drawn and quartered in public squares, why stop at only turning time back to the 50s let's go all the way back to Cromwell's time.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Desperate stuff. We're done this one decades ago. We will not re-introduce capital punishment because we all know that under that system many innocent people would have been sent to their deaths.
What next, rationing?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Why just stop at the death penalty, the referendum should be for hung, drawn and quartered in public squares, why stop at only turning time back to the 50s let's go all the way back to Cromwell's time.
The essence of the referendum is 'no detail'.

But the essence also is to create debate. So your debate is welcome. The possibilities are endless.

For example, whatabout having a separate vote on the degree of pain of the execution? This could all be encapsulated on the Prime Time Saturday evening show (I'm thinking Anna Richardson and Reggie Yates). We can have voting via txt (with a charge of £2 per txt, and see additional charges by service provider). The produces can spend the week selecting the wrongist of the wronguns for TV consideration.

But for the referendum, no details. The devil is in the detail and no right-thinking Christian wants that.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Desperate stuff. We're done this one decades ago. We will not re-introduce capital punishment because we all know that under that system many innocent people would have been sent to their deaths.
What next, rationing?
The 'not tory' vote on this poll is presently over 90%.

But it's only 11.00 in the morning.

Let's see whether the vote swings more towards the two pro-tory options as the old fellas and drunks wake up and log onto NSC.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here