Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] If Southampton offered £25m for Dunk.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Pointless LD moving anywhere bar a top 6 Premier League club and that does not include Burnley

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
One thing that makes a difference to a transfer price is how long the players current contract has left to run. Dunky recently signed a 4 year contract with us so the transfer fee should be a lot more than someone even if they are similar or better quality with one year or less left (see the Sanchez at Arsenal for example of this). In addition to that he counts as a "home grown" player for anyone buying him as well as us losing one. £25m seems a poor offer considering this and how much it would cost us to replace him so no I wouldnt take it. I cant see Dunk getting into the current WC squad this year even if he did move clubs and that will probably be a good thing for him IMO.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Hypothetical question.

Would you take it? Goldsons impressive debut against Watford, Hunemier waiting in the wings. Could we lose Lewis in January and boost the pot for an offensive player around the same value?

Or does Lewis have to stay if we have any realistic chance of staying up?

It's very clear that Lewis Dunk is our best defender, and because we don't score many keeping Dunk is crucial to our chances of survival.

Accepting £25 million is false economy - if we stay up his value will be £30 million+. Mustafi joined Arsenal in Aug 16 for £35 million plus and I don't think he's as good as Dunk is now.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Micheal Keane was £35m, VVD is £75m; £45m would be good value for Dunk.

I think Keane is a good benchmark here. Lewis needs to prove he can keep up his high standard for a full Prem season and if he manages that then we'll be 2 years on from Keane's £35 mill. Indeed, if he were to get ahead of Keane in the England pecking order then that would add another £5 mill to his value and then we'd have to be looking at £40mill +, but there's still half a season to go first.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
It's very clear that Lewis Dunk is our best defender, and because we don't score many keeping Dunk is crucial to our chances of survival.

Accepting £25 million is false economy - if we stay up his value will be £30 million+. Mustafi joined Arsenal in Aug 16 for £35 million plus and I don't think he's as good as Dunk is now.

Good point. Its also worth noting that Mustafi cost £35 million in 2016 before the transfer prices went crazy in the summer transfer window this year. I dont see the prices going down this coming world cup year either.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think Keane is a good benchmark here. Lewis needs to prove he can keep up his high standard for a full Prem season and if he manages that then we'll be 2 years on from Keane's £35 mill. Indeed, if he were to get ahead of Keane in the England pecking order then that would add another £5 mill to his value and then we'd have to be looking at £40mill +, but there's still half a season to go first.

The national media now love Keane and Ashley Williams again, after Fat Sam secured the defence. Conveniently ignoring the tactics of a 10 man defence to achieve that.

For England Dunk, unfortunately, won't get a look in ahead of golden boys Keane and Maguire.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
As good as VVD may be, he's not worth 75,000 Gary Harts.

Jimmy Grimble

Another Dunk speculation thread, another few posters prepared to sell way below his market value. Happened for the last 4/5 years now and unsurprisingly there's a familiar poster every time.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
If dunk goes it will be to a bigger club than saints. They’re about us big as us, these days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here