Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If Sami is here to stay...

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Quite. NSC could genuinely come up with plenty of better targets than those, and just as realistic wages/availability-wise. And that's scary.

That's probably the case, but there's no way we know if they haven't been looked at already - we may be able to afford them, but do they want to come here? Do they want to move/uproot their family? Do their current/parent club want to let them go? Are they pricing themselves out of the deal? Are they (like Huddersfield did with Clayton) wanting/waiting to replace the player before they let them go? So many variables at play.

I'd love to think that every player would love to come to Sussex and play for Brighton but I don't think that's the case :down:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That's probably the case, but there's no way we know if they haven't been looked at already - we may be able to afford them, but do they want to come here? Do they want to move/uproot their family? Do their current/parent club want to let them go? Are they pricing themselves out of the deal? Are they (like Huddersfield did with Clayton) wanting/waiting to replace the player before they let them go? So many variables at play.

I'd love to think that every player would love to come to Sussex and play for Brighton but I don't think that's the case :down:

In answer to your questions:

Glenn Murray
Glenn Murray
Glenn Murray
Glenn Murray.

Pay him what he wants. It's worth it.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
In answer to your questions:

Glenn Murray
Glenn Murray
Glenn Murray
Glenn Murray.

Pay him what he wants. It's worth it.

Ah, but will Palace allow him to come to us? Didn't someone mention that Parish has some clubs he won't let his players go to? I could be wrong.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I'm sorry but I just don't think this is workable for Sami or any other manager from the Championship upwards.

It's not like the 1980s where the accessible pool of talent was that much smaller, largely based around the UK football leagues and old division 2 clubs would rarely have any foreign players.

Today, it's a global market for players and a manager who is hands on with training and developing a squad day to day just does not have the time to be able to assess players across that whole market.

Hard to disagree with this -it probably has to be a joint venture for the reasons described eloquently above - it would surely be too much for a manager alone. I suspect that where the friction comes in, is when they disagree as to the merits of a prospective signing or who has the final say - this is the disadvantage of the system, surely. Presumably, the Ulloas of this world would be that shade harder to find, if it were just the manager relying on telephone calls - a recruitment team working full time is likely to identify more targets, but, nonetheless, looking at the Albion these last few months, you still have to question some of their decisions.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
In principle you're right. A scouting/recruitment team is needed in modern football, but it needs to be a team complimenting the manager. Not doing the choosing FOR them.

When the team you're paying come up with Leroy Lita, John Obika and Chris O'grady as striking options(i'm unwilling to put Baldock in there), it starts to make me doubt whether the personel are correct.

And Billy Painter and Sam Vokes, that prolific scorer when he left us, who couldn't score for us :ffsparr:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Teixeira - came because of Sami

Read the Mail article. It's clear Hyypia identified Teixeira.

From the article on the official site when Teixeira was signed - TEIXEIRA JOINS FROM LIVERPOOL

It's something we have been working on for a short time, and I am pleased to be able to welcome Joao to the club.

"The reports I have seen on him are very positive and my former colleagues at Liverpool have told me he is a very bright young prospect who is held in high regard at the club at all levels.

Hmmmm.....I wonder what "reports" he is referring to. Maybe he means he went to Liverpool DS games himself, made notes, and then rediscovered those "reports" at some point and thought "Ah yes, Teixieira, I remember him, let's try to sign him."

Or maybe the "reports" came from our recruitment team?

I guess we'll never know.....

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
From the article on the official site when Teixeira was signed - TEIXEIRA JOINS FROM LIVERPOOL

Hmmmm.....I wonder what "reports" he is referring to. Maybe he means he went to Liverpool DS games himself, made notes, and then rediscovered those "reports" at some point and thought "Ah yes, Teixieira, I remember him, let's try to sign him."

Or maybe the "reports" came from our recruitment team?

I guess we'll never know.....

Or his former Liverpool team mates like Gerrard who recommended each party to the other?

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
I can only name 3 very poor signings to date in the Burke era,excluding short loans.....Harley , the baller and COG,perhaps Toko,but i have never seen him play except pre season at Lewes . IMO its the players we didn't sign is where the problem lies,and that has to be the budget, Conway ,Grabban and Clayton spring to mind.With ref to Murray,lets get out there and find a new Glenn Murray !!!!

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I can only name 3 very poor signings to date in the Burke era,excluding short loans.....Harley , the baller and COG,perhaps Toko,but i have never seen him play except pre season at Lewes . IMO its the players we didn't sign is where the problem lies,and that has to be the budget, Conway ,Grabban and Clayton spring to mind.With ref to Murray,lets get out there and find a new Glenn Murray !!!!

Unfortunately, you will have to find someone else to blame for Harley. He joined the club on August 23 2011. David Burke didn't take up his position until January 3 2012.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Unfortunately, you will have to find someone else to blame for Harley. He joined the club on August 23 2011. David Burke didn't take up his position until January 3 2012.

Gus chased after him for quite a while, he carries the can for that cock up.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008

Leroy Lita, Billy Paynter, Kemy Agustien? There are plenty others.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
In principle you're right. A scouting/recruitment team is needed in modern football, but it needs to be a team complimenting the manager. Not doing the choosing FOR them.

When the team you're paying come up with Leroy Lita, John Obika and Chris O'grady as striking options(i'm unwilling to put Baldock in there), it starts to make me doubt whether the personel are correct.

Lita= Between 2005 and 2014, he has only featured for teams in the Premier League and Chmpionship (if he was a poor as some on here would have you believe, he would have been found out long ago and would have been plying his trade nearer league 1 and 2 for most of that time)
Obika = Spurs youngster, scored 6 goals for Spurs reserves against Charlton

The way they were written off by fans when they first joined and whilst here reminds me of the comments aimed at previous players we have had including players like Vokes, Wood, etc... (and almost all the other strikers we've had) as not good enough for us, no better than League 1 or 2 and so on yet manage to produce at a different club and helped their new club(s) to promotion

Maybe our fans need to lower their expectations and be more willing to give these players more time to settle and produce. Maybe it's our fans that can't tell a good player in a badly performing side from a bad player in a good side.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
People who slate Gardner seem to forget that he has had 2 cruciate ligament injuries and only played 5 games in the last 2 seasons prior to joining us. He is getting better as he has games and will continue to do so. as he gets fitter.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Or maybe just keep both and let Sami have a greater say in what players to sign ? Simple.

Well, thats another anti-Burke campaign shot down fairly quickly.......

Question - who signed both Bennetts, Teixeira, Gardner, McCourt who are decent for us at present......

Elliott Bennett - good signing but only for a month
Joe Bennett - questionable defensively, though good going forward
Texeirra - too light for this league and often makes the wrong decision
Gardner - granted 2 goals recently, but generally hopeless and uninterested
Paddy - potentially good, but apparently not able to last 90 minutes

Can I also throw in Baldock and Colunga, who are similar to CMS in stature
O'Grady who just doesn't fit
Stockdale who's had a difficult start, but hopefully will come good.
Holla, struggling by his own admission, but again hopefully will pick up the pace

So forgive me, but I don't think anti-Burke campaign can be shot down that easily...

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I'm thinking this is a bit like Gus in his first part season. Relegation avoided and then pressing on in his first full season. Sami needs time and it appears Tony will allow him this.

I must admit that even at the time when we seemed to be soaring up the leagues I was worried that we would get to the Premiership, get spanked every week and it would all go tits up.

We are still young and growing. Bozza made a great post recently on the age of the last team we put out. We ain't going up this year and neither are we going down, get used to it. It is not the end of the world.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here