Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If RDZ plays Steele tomorrow...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Bart did drop an easy catch

Flappy at their only good corner
I've not seen this back yet, but it looked a very clear foul (the Roma lad turned his back, and backed in under Bart) and I'd have been astonished had anything coming from it, not being ruled out.

Agree Bart had very little to do last night, but he was solid. And that's back to back clean sheets - something not to be sniffed at.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
There is no argument for bringing Steele back into the side now. Bart is a proper goalkeeper and the team performs better with him in it. It's that simple.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
There is no argument for bringing Steele back into the side now. Bart is a proper goalkeeper and the team performs better with him in it. It's that simple.
The two clean sheets have coincided with reinstating a back four. There you go there is an argument
:)

As it happens I agree Bart needs to be the established number one keeper now.

Can you imagine the endless threads about Steele's height we'd be having now if the ball had gone over his head like last night's phantom goal

Jimmy Come Lately

Registered Loser
Oct 27, 2011
Hove
Instead of the monorail, I URGE Tony Bloom to use the missing cup final money, to invest in a machine at Lancing that can amalgamate two humans and create either Bart Steele or Jason Verbruggen to ensure we get the best bits of both keepers in one.

Problem solved and everyone's happy.
But you know that even with superkeeper Jason Verbruggen at his disposal, De Zerbi would insist on rotating him with the absolutely hopeless Bart Steele and we'd be no better off.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Can you imagine the endless threads about Steele's height we'd be having now if the ball had gone over his head like last night's phantom goal
Yeah, he should have just stood aside and waved it goodbye ala Steele at Villa Park. That's how you keep goal.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
This is quite interesting, we're right up there with the best at not allowing shots on goal, but middle of the pack when it comes to goals conceded.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Yes - interesting.....shows how flukey the likes of Man Utd and Fulham are (conceding around 9 fewer than the xGA....which is approx 20% below what they "should have" conceded). Palace perhaps could consider themselves unlucky...

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Yes - interesting.....shows how flukey the likes of Man Utd and Fulham are (conceding around 9 fewer than the xGA....which is approx 20% below what they "should have" conceded). Palace perhaps could consider themselves unlucky...
Fulham keep doing this. Last season the conceded 11 fewer than their xGA (around 18%). They also outperformed their xG last season by 9 goals (around 20%) - only outperforming goals scored by 4 this season...

Something's got to give at some point and if they continue on this trend, with stronger promoted sides than usual next season, maybe the stats will catch up with them.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Fulham keep doing this. Last season the conceded 11 fewer than their xGA (around 18%). They also outperformed their xG last season by 9 goals (around 20%) - only outperforming goals scored by 4 this season...

Something's got to give at some point and if they continue on this trend, with stronger promoted sides than usual next season, maybe the stats will catch up with them.
Is it just about luck?

Isn't it also about keepers pulling off worldies? Which I guess is why it's in this thread. But also about defenders making blocks and midfielders making desperate covering challenges.

I guess part of it is about luck

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Is it just about luck?

Isn't it also about keepers pulling off worldies? Which I guess is why it's in this thread. But also about defenders making blocks and midfielders making desperate covering challenges.

I guess part of it is about luck
I honestly don't know. The stats show that over a period of two seasons in the Premier League, Fulham are substantially overperforming at both ends of the pitch, though the stats don't really paint the clearest picture as to why.

This does include a high save percentage from Leno (74% - 4th best - from 145 shots on target - 5th most this season. Last season 77% - 2nd best - from 192 shots - 2nd most). They didn't really block the ball much last season but Palhinha is, by a monumental distance in both seasons, the biggest tackler in the league. He comfortably finished ahead of Moises Caicedo in tackles and interceptions. This doesn't really explain why their xGA is so high as for xG to be counted, you need to have a shot.

It's similarly complicated when you look forward. Their strikers (yes, even Mitro who fell one short of his xG last term) aren't overcontributing to an enormous extent (Solomon with 4 goals from 1.2xG is the only standout over two seasons).

It's probably too simplistic to say it's just luck. I think Leno is the major factor in their statistical overperformance. He's been a superb signing and is the clear overperformer in that team. Having Palhinha likely means that they can push more midfielders forward (Pereira and Iwobi) to overload on the counter I guess and the goals get shared around a little more than you'd find at most teams.

The logical way of reading the stats is that they can't rely on Leno to perform this well forever. A dip in form, an injury, or a transfer (though he did just sign a new deal) and it could all go wrong for them very quickly. The reality is that they're bucking the trend presented in the stats at the moment and haven't fallen away yet.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Well, I predicted that Wolves would go down this season, so do ignore the following:
I've thought that Fulham might be in trouble next season or the one after, because they're going to lose too many of their key players, and they tend to rely on a small pool of players (don't think they've suffered too bad with the upturn in injuries this season). Paulinha looks like he'll be off in the summer, and Tosin almost certainly will as his contract runs out, Willian will retire soon or go to Brazil/the US, and there's a few more that could be close to the exit that I'm unaware of (@BrightonCottager might have a better idea). That said, they're doing irritatingly well enough (not that I've got anything against Fulham) this season, and the sudden form of Munoz might mean they've got enough over the next few seasons.
Still, if those three (and more) do go, either they'll be seriously depleted in terms of quality or they'll need to spend big/very wisely on replacements and there's probably a PSR(sp) issue on the horizon on that front.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here