Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If Palace get a goalless draw & Bolton beat Blackpool 3-1 ...

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Yes it would if Palace was 0-0 like said earlier both teams would then have an identical record but no ones sure if then palace would be in the play offs because they've got a better record over Bolton in the 2 games they've played

Or would Bolton win because they won one more game than Palace over the season

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
What happens above us is more important. If Watford win and Hull lose Watford go straight up. Am happy to play any of the others but would like to avoid Watford.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Or would Bolton win because they won one more game than Palace over the season

As stated by Cypriot Seagull's research in Post #5 .
He writes ....

Taken from the official Football league site:
9.2 If two or more Clubs have the same number of points, goal difference and goals scored the highest placed Club shall be determined by the respective League records against each other, taking into account in order of precedence, points gained, goal difference and goals scored

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Whatever happens, We'll be having a bit of a party on Saturday, whereas Palace will be nervously watching other scores with very twitchy arses.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
As stated by Cypriot Seagull's research in Post #5 .
He writes ....

Taken from the official Football league site:
9.2 If two or more Clubs have the same number of points, goal difference and goals scored the highest placed Club shall be determined by the respective League records against each other, taking into account in order of precedence, points gained, goal difference and goals scored

Thanks I missed that post
Confusion over

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I can't really see Bolton winning by a margin of more than two goals, and it seems that 3-1 or 2-0 won't be enough for them to overtake Palace. From their point of view, they are in the play-offs if they win. I doubt they are that fussed who they play - I suppose a deflated Hull would be their pick but of Watford, Hull and Brighton I'm not sure there is much in it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I can't really see Bolton winning by a margin of more than two goals, and it seems that 3-1 or 2-0 won't be enough for them to overtake Palace. From their point of view, they are in the play-offs if they win. I doubt they are that fussed who they play - I suppose a deflated Hull would be their pick but of Watford, Hull and Brighton I'm not sure there is much in it.
They are playing a side we beat by FIVE ten days ago.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
They are playing a side we beat by FIVE ten days ago.
Yes, I know. But they've only conceded 12 goals in their last 12 games, which means they've conceded only six goals in 11 of those last 12. It's fair to say their game with us was a bit of an anomoly, and Albion were quite stunning on that day.

el punal

... both Palace and Bolton end the season with identical goal difference & identical goals scored (+10 / 70-60).

Am I right in thinking that the tie-breaker would be the combined outcome of games between Palace & Bolton? In which case, it would be Palace finishing above Bolton, since the results earler in the season were Palace 0 Bolton 0 / Bolton 0 Palace 1.

Or am I imagining this rule?

Bolton - because B comes before C!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Good thread

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
my head hurts, far too early for this level of maths, stats and rule discussion :wozza:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Realistically, Palace need a point on Saturday to finish in the top 6 - Bolton may overtake them on GD, but Forest won't. Playing for the draw is always a horrible situation though, and it will make it a massive squeaky bum match for them against a decent Posh side needing a win to assure safety. Glad it's not us!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... Playing for the draw is always a horrible situation though,

and is something Holloway doesnt do (to some credit). recall the Prem season with Blackpool, if only they had held out for draws or defended sensibly, they'd have picked up enough points to stay up. his defensive strategy seems to consist of nothing more than get back into own half half so that you can receive ball to start a counter-attack.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
and is something Holloway doesnt do (to some credit). recall the Prem season with Blackpool, if only they had held out for draws or defended sensibly, they'd have picked up enough points to stay up. his defensive strategy seems to consist of nothing more than get back into own half half so that you can receive ball to start a counter-attack.

The stats for last night's game seem to indicate that they parked the bus: 1 shot on target, 2 shots off target.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here