Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If Only Dick Knight Had Tony Bloom's Money

I think DK involved fans too much because it suited his purpose.

"His" purpose? Have you considered the possibility that involving the fans suited the Club's purpose? Or that it even suited the ambitions of the wider community of Albion fans?

What fan involvement are you suggesting should not have taken place?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It's very sad that Tony Bloom is denied that same courtesy by some.

I am sure that he is fully aware of the fans anxiety and concern but has it under control and will act when he considers it to be the best moment. It remains to be seen what action he takes, changes manager or provides the funds for him to strentghen the team in January without loans, but I am confident he will make the right move, as he sees fit.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
If Bloom decided to gamble and then pull back from investing then that is one of the biggest problems for me. We were spoilt and dined out on Champagne, Caviar & Oysters (Vicente, Ulloa & Bridge) we now have to feed of scraps from the reduced section at Lidl's (O'Grady & Halford).

Mine and most supporters expectations were risen and now we are coming down with a bang it's very hard to stomach. If we had of made steady progress at the Amex e.g. 18th 15th then 13th this season wouldn't feel so bad but at the moment it feels utterly depressing and changes need to be made starting with Hypia and hopefully Barber, although I cannot see the former being dismissed.

If the problem wasn't financial I'm sure Hypia would be gone - I'm sure that when Poyet went we would have had a higher profile replacement than Garcia and now, We needed to get promotion that season and probably Gus wanted guarantees that the money would keep coming, perhaps the turning point was the Murray wage thing?

I think FFP is scaring us too, if the money was there would TB do what every other premier hungry club seems to be doing and worry about it later. Perhaps its because Bloom owns the Amex and has something to lose whereas a few other clubs only own a shell

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I took it to mean (much less confrontationally) that the excellent fan relationships Dick Knight worked so hard on, meant he was looked kindly on, even when he did make inevitable mistakes. People forgave any mistakes, because they knew he ultimately just wanted the best for the club.

It's very sad that Tony Bloom is denied that same courtesy by some.

Bloom is an absolute legend for funding the Amex and it's fair enough he doesn't enjoy the limelight as much as Knight, but at the moment we really need our Chairman to be strong and communicating with the fans. He needs to be more hands on and get a grip of the situation (hopefully he is behind closed doors).

This season could be a car crash should Hypia remain in place for much longer and the cost to the club could be huge, especially if crowds drop to sub 15k.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
"His" purpose? Have you considered the possibility that involving the fans suited the Club's purpose? Or that it even suited the ambitions of the wider community of Albion fans?

What fan involvement are you suggesting should not have taken place?

He took over the club with enough money to buy Worthing not a FL club and needed every supporter to subsidise this purchase. As far as fans involvement everybody down to tge kitchen cat knew who we were signing etc there was very little business done in confidence unlike now when generally the first we know is the club announcement.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I remember talking to Gillivers Travels in the sports bar in Leceister Square watching Brighton - Wolves away I think when Kuipers made that world class double save ?

Anyway - the subject of debate that night was "what happens when we become a proper football club?"

I thought about it all the time during the Falmer campaign. What would be the fall out....

I don't think there is a major conspiracy. Just the club has got...

The PR/Brand a bit wrong. Needed to embrace the past a bit more and have a bit of continuation from even the Withdean years. Can't think of an example but a nod to the past.

I don't feel the club is supporter focussed enough. The marketing is crass is times, simply not savvy enough. Not sure it's talking to everyone. Personally the Amex at times feels like a visit to Tescos.

We got used to a chairman with all his faults talking directly to the fans in a manner they understood. Now we get programmes notes from a CEO. Paul Barber is probably a great bloke but he no connection to me as a fan and it may as well be coming from a contract Project Manager or "Director of Change".

The crux of the matter is all the corporate structure, behaivour and communication was designed to cut costs, generate income with a view to creating a promotion challenging squad. That's failed massively quite obviously this season.

All I'd like to hear is "we've f***** up but we're trying to fix it." That's how you talk to a real fan.

I'll return to the Amex when I hear a bit of honesty and evidence of an attempt to fix it. I'm quite used to watch Brighton lose, but not a heads in the sand, emperor's new clothes response to the absolute disaster this season.

Spot on top post.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I remember talking to Gillivers Travels in the sports bar in Leceister Square watching Brighton - Wolves away I think when Kuipers made that world class double save ?

Anyway - the subject of debate that night was "what happens when we become a proper football club?"

I thought about it all the time during the Falmer campaign. What would be the fall out....

I don't think there is a major conspiracy. Just the club has got...

The PR/Brand a bit wrong. Needed to embrace the past a bit more and have a bit of continuation from even the Withdean years. Can't think of an example but a nod to the past.

I don't feel the club is supporter focussed enough. The marketing is crass is times, simply not savvy enough. Not sure it's talking to everyone. Personally the Amex at times feels like a visit to Tescos.

We got used to a chairman with all his faults talking directly to the fans in a manner they understood. Now we get programmes notes from a CEO. Paul Barber is probably a great bloke but he no connection to me as a fan and it may as well be coming from a contract Project Manager or "Director of Change".

The crux of the matter is all the corporate structure, behaivour and communication was designed to cut costs, generate income with a view to creating a promotion challenging squad. That's failed massively quite obviously this season.

All I'd like to hear is "we've f***** up but we're trying to fix it." That's how you talk to a real fan.

I'll return to the Amex when I hear a bit of honesty and evidence of an attempt to fix it. I'm quite used to watch Brighton lose, but not a heads in the sand, emperor's new clothes response to the absolute disaster this season.

Did you not expect us to become more 'professional' and cost contious in our approach and finance orientated when we got to The Amex

He took over the club with enough money to buy Worthing not a FL club and needed every supporter to subsidise this purchase. As far as fans involvement everybody down to tge kitchen cat knew who we were signing etc there was very little business done in confidence unlike now when generally the first we know is the club announcement.
And how many promotions did we achieve while all this was going on?

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
If Bloom decided to gamble and then pull back from investing then that is one of the biggest problems for me. We were spoilt and dined out on Champagne, Caviar & Oysters (Vicente, Ulloa & Bridge) we now have to feed of scraps from the reduced section at Lidl's (O'Grady & Halford).

Mine and most supporters expectations were risen and now we are coming down with a bang it's very hard to stomach. If we had of made steady progress at the Amex e.g. 18th 15th then 13th this season wouldn't feel so bad but at the moment it feels utterly depressing and changes need to be made starting with Hypia and hopefully Barber, although I cannot see the former being dismissed.

Where does Darren Bent fit in with this hypothesis?

I've seen some nonsense posted in the past couple of weeks, but this post might be the most laughable.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
LORD B this was all funded by wealthy fans like TB. If you had the money I could speculate and spend it for you but havent got my own money to lose if it went wrong.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Where does Darren Bent fit in with this hypothesis?

I've seen some nonsense posted in the past couple of weeks, but this post might be the most laughable.

Signed for one month so we can get him fit for Villa to try and off-load. His a great signing at this level if it was a season long loan but for one month knowing his likely to be recalled strikes of desperation.

Fozzyboy

Jul 5, 2011
Worthing
There is no way the club would be run as it is now, by and large during Knight's tenure the club was harmonious (Wilkins excepted) and the club retained a soul and identity. The club had a certain feel good vibe and supporters and the board worked together to achieve Falmer.

There is no way Knight would have created a hierarchy like we have now, and Barber wouldn't have been let within 100 feet of the club.

There is no doubt about it Knight was a far better chairman and figure head of Brighton & Hove Albion, just a shame he didn't have the finances to shape the club his way.

Best post I've seen in ages! I think Dick was very clear in his book.... If Bloom wasn't chairman, there would be no stadium. Probably why that book wasn't sold in the clubs shop. However much I'm grateful for this lovely ground I did however prefer our glory days at the Withdean with many highs and not so many lows. The way it is at the mo is the biggest low in 15 odd years despite being in the championship. Wierd!

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Signed for one month so we can get him fit for Villa to try and off-load. His a great signing at this level if it was a season long loan but for one month knowing his likely to be recalled strikes of desperation.

One month takes us to the transfer window, when hopefully a top class triker will be brought in.

No one knew who Ulloa was before he was bought. He proved to be a great signing for the money.

Okay, Colunga and Baldock have not yet proved themselves, but when you are buying strikers in the £1-£2 million bracket, you are either buying a decent player in decline or a younger player with potential.

Both are gambles which are not guaranteed to succeed.

To buy a cast iron successful striker (in this division someone like Deeney, Rhodes, Austin or Ings) you need to spend £5 million +. Which the club hasn't got the resources to pay at the moment.

Last edited:

LORD B this was all funded by wealthy fans like TB. If you had the money I could speculate and spend it for you but havent got my own money to lose if it went wrong.
DK never disguised the fact that fans' financial contributions were vital to keep the Club going - whether they were made by wealthy fans like the Bloom family, or ordinary fans like those who chipped into the Forty Notes Fund.

But it wasn't just money that achieved the successes on the pitch in DK's time. There were some cute recruitment decisions made by the Club and some quality team management by coaches who knew what they wanted to achieve and were given the space to do so.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
One month takes us to the transfer window, when hopefully a top class triker will be brought in.

No one knew who Ulloa was before he was bought. He proved to be a great signing for the money.

Okay, Colunga and Bladock have not yet proved themselves, but when you are buying strikers in the £1-£2 million bracket, you are either buying a decent player in decline or a younger player with potential.

Both are gambles which are not guaranteed to succeed.

To buy a cast iron successful striker (in this division someone like Deeney, Rhodes, Austin or Ings) you need to spend £5 million +. Which the club hasn't got the resources to pay at the moment.

Maybe I've misinterpreted your post but I felt you were comparing the Bent signing favourably to that of Vicente, Bridge & Ulloa? I agree with you that strikers in the £1-3 million bracket are not cast iron guarantees of success. So far we have signed 3 and two haven't worked out up until this point, however the club is still just about in profit out of the Ulloa, CMS & Baldock transfers.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Did you not expect us to become more 'professional' and cost contious in our approach and finance orientated when we got to The Amex

And how did I suggest otherwise ?

Of course the club had to act more professionally, but on that basis alone this season it hasn't. It's f***** up royally.

Now, I know nothing about marketing - but then again do I ? I know nothing about medicine, but I know when I feel unwell.

When I studied marketing at University (as part of something else) the ONLY thing I remember was a paper called Marketing Myopia by Theodore Levitt. The basis is that "that businesses will do better in the end if they concentrate on meeting customers’ needs rather than on selling products."

I always remember the high quality pens analogy. You sell pens and concentrate on other pen companies as competitors whilst taking your eye of the fact that your pen is actually a "gentlemens christmas gift" and you didn't consider handkerchiefs

The lecturer was a bit old school :)

Well I think a bit of that classic marketing thinking isn't actually helping the club at the moment. I'm not convinced of the merit of placing the club purely with the er.. "entertainment space" exclusively helps long term.

They need to build up a bit of loyalty and a sense of culture and history. Not just to appease the "old school", but more importantly so the new fans buy into it.

Otherwise (and I think this is happening now) - they are reinforcing a sense of those and them. Those who witnessed the troubles/Withdean and those who didn't.

That's where the club have got it wrong. It feels like the old club died and someone reimagined the "franchise".

That's nothing to do with performance on the pitch. I've felt that way since I first walked into the Amex.

Something is missing.

Sorry got to disagree DK made many bad decisions but sucked up to fans groups for support and wealthy fans to bail him out.

I know you mean well in your own way but that view you expressed there that owners should ignore fans' representatives pretty much sums up everything that's wrong with football.

The fact that it comes from an old-timer like yourself probably gives the game away that there was no past golden age either, football bosses have always treated fans like shit.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Maybe I've misinterpreted your post but I felt you were comparing the Bent signing favourably to that of Vicente, Bridge & Ulloa? I agree with you that strikers in the £1-3 million bracket are not cast iron guarantees of success. So far we have signed 3 and two haven't worked out up until this point, however the club is still just about in profit out of the Ulloa, CMS & Baldock transfers.

I think you comparing the club's recent signings to shopping in Lidl is way out of line.

Vicente only came to Brighton because he was a deeply flawed person.

Simlarly Paddy McCourt has all the talent in the world. If he had the right attitude he'd be playing in the Premier League. He hasn't. That's why he's at Brighton.

There were bargain buys in your "caviar"days too. Hoskins, Jara, Hammond etc etc

It just happened that the "big money" signings worked out 3 or 4 years ago. The ones of the last couple of years have not been so successful unfortunately.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Bloom is an absolute legend for funding the Amex and it's fair enough he doesn't enjoy the limelight as much as Knight, but at the moment we really need our Chairman to be strong and communicating with the fans. He needs to be more hands on and get a grip of the situation (hopefully he is behind closed doors).

This season could be a car crash should Hypia remain in place for much longer and the cost to the club could be huge, especially if crowds drop to sub 15k.

I don't disagree with that. My point is that there is a section of our fan base for whom, when Knight made poor decisions, made in good faith, they were seen as just that, but when Bloom does the same it is down to some deliberate dastardly plan.

It's ****ing ridiculous.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

well, thats Bloom's decision isnt it? he's decided that the CEO will speak. i dont know how it is at other large/corporate clubs but there's a number where the chairman is more elusive than ours and i dont suppose they write in the programmes each game.

the feel of the Amex was for me the same the first season as it was the second: its the inevitable feeling of a large expanses of steal and whitewashed concreate, warehouse chic. maybe some more blue paint might help tone down the clinical feel, but with pictures of the bulid and history cant say the club havent tried. in other words, this is the face of progress, i dont know why anyone thought it would be otherwise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here