Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If not Palace, then who?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Wasn't it 76/77? Actually Nov 76 as it was the 1st rnd of the cup.

Have to say I've never heard Palace bang on about West Ham, thought it was always Millwall or Charlton!

Irrespective of what happened in 76, geographically they have been, until the recent arrival of Crawley, our closest rivals in the league.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nobody. There is nobody. We exist in splendid isolation. That's the way (uh huh, uh huh) I like it (uh huh, uh huh). :shrug:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Can't be Portsmouth or Southampton as they loathe each other already.

Reading hated Oxford, and too far away.

London clubs have their own derbies.

Bournemouth or Gillingham? A bit dull if so.

Oxford hate Swindon, and VV, that’s their rivalry. Reading have no one. Not even Wycombe. Who dislike Colchester. And VV.

So Reading for me. Pompey is a non starter because always has and always will be Soton.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Oxford hate Swindon, and VV, that’s their rivalry. Reading have no one. Not even Wycombe. Who dislike Colchester. And VV.

So Reading for me. Pompey is a non starter because always has and always will be Soton.

Reading’s was always Aldershot, mutual hatred. But that ended with the demise of the old Aldershot.

Reading fans still mention us online, we’re seen as arrogant. hahaha.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Can confirm this. They really don’t like us.

Can’t be derby or serious rival though can they, way to far up north(ish)

Orient, Luton, Pompey have all had their day with mini rivalry due to divisional circumstances at the time as have Southend.

If not Palace, then no one really could come close to long standing grudges...

They are kinda a perfect fit, and long may it continue....

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Oxford United weren't a league team until the 1960s - by the time they had any interest or rivalry with Reading (or for Reading to have worked up any sort of hatred of Oxford) we'd have moved on from Reading to our 70s rivalry with Palarse.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

My sister-in-law's ex husband is Oxford and took me to an Oxford v Wycombe game one New Year's Day. Remarkably civilised and very few away fans given it's a short tootle down the M40. Nowhere near as lively as some Brighton / Oxford games back in the day.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
77/78 ? I think you’ll find it was a little bit earlier than that, as I remember the rivalry actually really cranked up between Peter Taylor Mk One and Big Mal, and then got even bigger with Mullery and El Tel.

Maybe it’s not just about football, it’s the politics of envy, probably with the exception of parts of Hastings 😂, Sussex is a beautiful place to live in, the countryside, the sea, nice towns, the full monty.

Have you been to Croydon?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Brighton Wimbledon was so fierce in the ‘80s that they had to put a piece of coloured tape in the stands to separate the rival fans.
The rivalry never grew as the Dons were so scared of PPF they ran away to Milton Keynes.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
77/78 ? I think you’ll find it was a little bit earlier than that, as I remember the rivalry actually really cranked up between Peter Taylor Mk One and Big Mal, and then got even bigger with Mullery and El Tel.

Maybe it’s not just about football, it’s the politics of envy, probably with the exception of parts of Hastings 😂, Sussex is a beautiful place to live in, the countryside, the sea, nice towns, the full monty.

Have you been to Croydon?

A few other "parts" as well, though they've always provided our most passionate fans IMO - Hastings for sure but Lancing, Portslade, Wick and most of the big estates in most of the county.

The big exception is Crawley which is a shithole throughout and doesn't even provide many fans. Needs to be annexed by Surrey forthwith :moo: :whistle:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
It really needs to be your nearest league club, shirley?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
A few other "parts" as well, though they've always provided our most passionate fans IMO - Hastings for sure but Lancing, Portslade, Wick and most of the big estates in most of the county.

The big exception is Crawley which is a shithole throughout and doesn't even provide many fans. Needs to be annexed by Surrey forthwith :moo: :whistle:

And “parts” of Whitehawk, Moulsecoomb, bevendean, hollingbury, But no, not Crawley

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Eastbourne Borough

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here