Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If no vaccine or treatment for 5 years

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Saying the people moaning because they've had to spend 3 weeks in doors. Moaning because you're not allowed to go to the pub. Maybe, just maybe if people such as yourselves took this as seriously as you should of back in Feb we wouldn't be in this mess.

Haven’t seen one person on here moaning about not going to the pub

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Nope - that’s a statement for 5 years.

Not the current lockdown

It's an interesting interpretation of moaning that's for sure. 6 months of this and people will tolerate it. 5 years and people would seriously struggle. In that time I would lose the bulk of my remaining family of my parents generation, not be able to see them throughout that or attend their funerals I'm not talking losing them through Covid but I'm certainly not willing to be left in that situation for such a long period of time.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I totally understand, and for younger people. There’s already anecdotal stories of kids who thrived at school and/or with mates, losing their self confidence and joie de vie. If this carries on and on, the mental heath price to nations will be huge.

That's one of my big worries with a 5 year old who is really struggling away from school. He loves and thrives on that important interaction with peers it can be managed for now but the longer it goes on the tougher that impact will be.
That's on top of an 8 year old who is the complete opposite, so insular that he will suffer mentally with forgetting how to interact..
I think the puzzle for.me.is the advocate in this thread of the if its 5 years so be it people will cope is someone who has admitted they struggle with anxiety so I thought they might understand the mental health implications better

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
What can we do though? Keep everyone locked up for the hypothetical five years of the question?

No you can't keep everyone locked up, but people need to be honest and not talk around the problem. There are 1.5 million people who quite possibly may never leave their homes again without risking signing their own death warrants...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That's one of my big worries with a 5 year old who is really struggling away from school. He loves and thrives on that important interaction with peers it can be managed for now but the longer it goes on the tougher that impact will be.
That's on top of an 8 year old who is the complete opposite, so insular that he will suffer mentally with forgetting how to interact..
I think the puzzle for.me.is the advocate in this thread of the if its 5 years so be it people will cope is someone who has admitted they struggle with anxiety so I thought they might understand the mental health implications better

I support the steps to save lives, and have no time for the sections of the media and opportunists trying to create a narrative railroading the scientists/ministers on a lifting of lockdown timetable. The best part of a 1,000 Brits are still dying every day.

But imho within weeks, a month or two at the latest, there will need to be slight easing of some restrictions, to help mental health, give some variety to stale daily routines. Italy and Austria have allowed small shops to open again for example. Perhaps mandatory face masks for customers accompanying that easing, would make it workable?

My reservation though is that the great British public will then take the p, taking it as a signal to resume life as before.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's an interesting interpretation of moaning that's for sure. 6 months of this and people will tolerate it.

bollocks they will, its going to be chaotic by end of a hot summer trying to keep people inside.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
If that's what it takes, then yes. We've got nobody to blame here but ourselves and government. We should of been putting pressure on the government to act in Jan/Feb. Because we didn't, this is the price we have pay to save the lives of millions of people.

People moaning about the state the economy is going to be in post corona shouldn't of been in denial from the beginning. If being in a semi lockdown for the next 5 years mean we save lives, then so be it.

Hate to tell you this, but you cannot save lives, just lengthen them. We are all doomed I tell you, all doomed.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
What gets me about this whole lockdown thing is, the people who seem to be revelling in the whole situation, those that are berating anyone who mentions the fact that people still need to earn a living, who are worried about losing their jobs, businesses and their homes, these are usually the same people who have been bemoaning the austerity measures that we’ve endured for the past decade.

They fail to see the bigger picture, and are in for a massive shock when this blows over in a year or so and the government clobber us with tax and austerity like we’ve never seen before !

Sharon and Kyle with their six kids will be going mad in 18 months when their benefits are slashed and they can’t afford their Botox and a gram of Peruvian.

The public will be shouting from their rooftops that their are no independent businesses and that their towns are just full of national chains, they’ll be disgusted at the mass unemployment and homelessness.

They’ll be aghast at the severe lack of public funding for the schools, healthcare and local councils

What I’m trying to say is there needs to be a compromise, yes people will die, and tragic it will be, but we also need to balance the fact that saving lives now will cost lives in the future, and the ramifications for that will last a lot longer than this virus will.

On a positive note, I read yesterday that Oxford University are so confident that they found a vaccine that they are going to start mass producing it, whilst still in the testing stage and by September when the trials finished they will have a million doses ready for distribution.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I was trying to be optimistic. I dont believe for one minute we are in for that long a period.of full lockdown
We are not in full lockdown, 1.5m (plus family) yes but the other 64.5m are not.

In this hypothetical scenario it seems that some people want to lock up 66m people to save the 1.5m vulnerable. Over 5 years that would be ridiculous. It appears that some people want the 64.5m non vulnerable to stay in purely because the vulnerable have to. Really?

If it was to go on for 5 years, surely the only answer would be the 1.5m would have a choice, go out and risk it or don't, the rest of us can try and get on with live in a semi lockdown, as we are now but with most businesses back up and running, not pubs, football, gigs etc where large crowds gather.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here