Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] If Leicester can win the league then why not us ? That’s Mwepu saying it not me…

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
[tweet]1562901578147074048[/tweet]

True, but still unlikely. Man City are a different level as will be Liverpool and Chelsea again once they find their form. I’m still predicting 8th . Above Leicester and West Ham but below Newcastle.

Last edited:

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
I think as the other night at forest green showed I still don’t think we have enough strength in depth . Great to give youngsters a run out but not going to finish top four with them .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Leicester had a unique set of circumstances in their favour. For one, a 35-40 goal a season striker and secondly, Man City, United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Tottenham and Arsenal all had a poor season.

Still incredible that we are in the position we are the last season or so and play the way we do with such a wonderful squad. Absolutely mind-blowing to me.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I think as the other night at forest green showed I still don’t think we have enough strength in depth . Great to give youngsters a run out but not going to finish top four with them .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When a complete new team plays like it did the other night you can't really appreciate what one player can bring to the first team. Put one or two into the team and they may shine.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
He's quite right in that it is possible, just not very likely. It gave us all hope though and they have since won the FA cup. Fair play to them. Vardy made a huge difference as did going out of the cups early. The stars aligned and they may do for us! I can dream.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Exactly what a senior and highly respected Brighton supporting sports journalist said not long after Leicester had actually done it.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I might believe it if we had Vardy in his prime up front.
We are not a million miles away from how Leicester were then, but the rest of the opposition have improved beyond belief.
We’re not going to win the league in my lifetime but I’d like to think we could get top six. That would be awesome.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
The Leicester situation might never happen again. Yes they had a very good team that year. But all the other top teams were having a poor season, transitioning between managers, or having a big turnover of players, so there was no elite Man City or Liverpool team to compete with. Made it so much more of a level playing field for any of the top 6 to 8 teams. Even Spurs finished 2nd that year didnt they?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The Leicester situation might never happen again. Yes they had a very good team that year. But all the other top teams were having a poor season, transitioning between managers, or having a big turnover of players, so there was no elite Man City or Liverpool team to compete with. Made it so much more of a level playing field for any of the top 6 to 8 teams. Even Spurs finished 2nd that year didnt they?

You’re not wrong but it must be so annoying for Leicester fans to keep hearing that. A bit like when we beat a ‘big’ team and their fans and the media claim they had an off day.

Ps thank you to whoever displayed my link properly. I can never remember how to do it so just copy the link.

el punal

I might believe it if we had Vardy in his prime up front.
We are not a million miles away from how Leicester were then, but the rest of the opposition have improved beyond belief.
We’re not going to win the league in my lifetime but I’d like to think we could get top six. That would be awesome.

I don’t wish ill of you but if you could pop your clogs soon then it’ll give me a chance to celebrate us winning the League, say, next season. Thanks awfully! :thumbsup::drink:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
good attitude from Mwepu. Leicester shows it can be done, yes you need the outstanding striker and a couple of other key players, starts with the positive attitude.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think the computer needs a reboot

We have about a 1% chance of winning the PL

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Exactly what a senior and highly respected Brighton supporting sports journalist said not long after Leicester had actually done it.

Knob jockey? ???

Edit: Love the auto correct, but I doubt people will get the reference :lolol: Maybe if I put 'HB&B', or does that have the same effect?

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I don't think for one minute that we'll win the league this season (in fact it feels silly to even write that).

And also it is very early days.

However, I do think the signs are there that some of the big 6 will be poor this season, I think there's a good chance that one or more of the top 6 spots will be taken by the 'other 12' teams. And with West Ham, Wolves and Leicester all making slow starts there's every chance that could be us. There's a fair bit of noise coming out of the club that they might think the same as well.

Here's where I think we'd be setting targets for this year:

1-4: Unbelievable - build GP a statue outside the Amex
5-7: Excellent - the top range target we should be aiming for
8-10: Good - maintaining last year's rough position and staying top ten after losing key players is more than enough
10-12: Satisfactory - shame to miss out on top 10, but still acceptable as long as we're moving in the right direction for the following season
13-15: Disappointing - would feel like a step backwards, but there may be mitigating circumstances e.g. injuries to key players
16-17: Concerning - serious questions would need to be asked about what went wrong
18-20: Disaster

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Leicester had a unique set of circumstances in their favour. For one, a 35-40 goal a season striker and secondly, Man City, United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Tottenham and Arsenal all had a poor season.

Still incredible that we are in the position we are the last season or so and play the way we do with such a wonderful squad. Absolutely mind-blowing to me.

True that the stars aligned for Leicester, but Vardy has never had a 25 goal season, let alone a 35-40 one. He usually gets around 20 which is still exceptional in this league.

I think that Enock's been slightly misinterpreted here. He doesn't intend to say that we can win the league, his comment seems to be along the lines of 'If Leicester can win the league, why can't Brighton make the Champions League?'

Its nice to have ambition, but I still think its completely mad that Oddschecker shows us 33/1 to down and 18/1 to make the top 4. Even sitting in as good a place as we've ever been, I know which I think more likely.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
True that the stars aligned for Leicester, but Vardy has never had a 25 goal season, let alone a 35-40 one. He usually gets around 20 which is still exceptional in this league.

Thanks for the correction! I truly believed he had scored more prolifically than that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here