Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] If Fulham go down

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I don’t think there will be anywhere near the number of changes people seem to want. Two reasons:

1. Every position is worth £2m. We could be throwing away £4/6m which Tony would not want with the pandemic financial hit
2. It won’t do our confidence any good to lose the last four games of the season. Conversely imagine the high if we could get something off city or win at the Emirates. Sets us up for next season.

I agree we're unlikely to be throwing on the youngsters as people are suggesting.

But it wouldn't surprise me to see starts for senior players we're looking to get off the books. For example, Propper, Jahanbaksh. Even Duffy is not impossible given Dunky's suspension

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think some of you need to look at the table - there's only 4 points separating 13th and 17th, and we have the best GD of all those teams. A couple of wins from our last 3 games - and West Ham and Arsenal are both winnable - could make an £8m difference!

Let's save trying out 18 year olds for the pre-season games.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Potter is unlikely to pick a very different team/19 to the one that he might have done if Fulham had won last night.
The only changes v West Ham will I guess be the return of Veltman and Lallana (now fit) and probably Connolly to replace red carded Maupay.
He certainly didn't ring the changes last season when we were safe. Look at the squad for Burnley on the last day of last season.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I agree we're unlikely to be throwing on the youngsters as people are suggesting.

But it wouldn't surprise me to see starts for senior players we're looking to get off the books. For example, Propper, Jahanbaksh. Even Duffy is not impossible given Dunky's suspension

Its 100% impossible since he is not registered in the squad.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
What struck me last night is that where we have had games that we were targeting to get us out of trouble, like Sheffield United and West Brom, we failed totally, yet “ teams like” Burnley go to a battling Fulham, who had the run of us over the years and win 2-0...Newcastle who are battling for their lives at the time go to Leicester and win 4-2 where we are no where near Leicesters team and they dick us often.

It is obviously fantastic that we have stayed up and with our run in I wasn’t convinced we would get another point, but we really need to take a long hard look at our team and the way we capitulated in games as well as didn’t turn up in others. Just 8 wins in 35 is a stark return...yes we draw lots, but .....

I know the above is stating the bleeding obvious but I feel again going into next year if the cracks we have papered over are not filled, it could be another long season.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
What struck me last night is that where we have had games that we were targeting to get us out of trouble, like Sheffield United and West Brom, we failed totally, yet “ teams like” Burnley go to a battling Fulham, who had the run of us over the years and win 2-0...Newcastle who are battling for their lives at the time go to Leicester and win 4-2 where we are no where near Leicesters team and they dick us often.

Burnley would have been safe weeks ago but lost crucial games to Southampton, Newcastle who er, we beat. And we picked up unlikely points against Leeds, Chelsea and Everton. As for Newcastle - they've done well to get out of it but are 2 points ahead of us. They couldn't beat us when they needed to.
Are we really nowhere near Leicester ? Away was probably our weakest performance of the season but we outplayed them for stretches at home and would have secured at least a point if Sanchez hadn't literally dropped the ball.

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017

It is obviously fantastic that we have stayed up and with our run in I wasn’t convinced we would get another point, but we really need to take a long hard look at our team and the way we capitulated in games as well as didn’t turn up in others. Just 8 wins in 35 is a stark return...yes we draw lots, but .....

I know the above is stating the bleeding obvious but I feel again going into next year if the cracks we have papered over are not filled, it could be another long season.

We have much to learn still to win the must win games. We seem a little fragile which Burnley are not.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Burnley would have been safe weeks ago but lost crucial games to Southampton, Newcastle who er, we beat. And we picked up unlikely points against Leeds, Chelsea and Everton. As for Newcastle - they've done well to get out of it but are 2 points ahead of us. They couldn't beat us when they needed to.
Are we really nowhere near Leicester ? Away was probably our weakest performance of the season but we outplayed them for stretches at home and would have secured at least a point if Sanchez hadn't literally dropped the ball.

But again, we flattered to deceive. Leicester always looked like they would score, were quicker, fitter and sharper on the ball...as they should be in their position. We played some lovely sideways stuff and triangles that a lot of teams sit back and admire , but you always get the impression with us that a team are just waiting for us to lose the ball and they run up the other end and score.

Reminds me of Harry Enfield’s 1930’s Arsenal vs Liverpool. Lots of pretty stuff but no end product.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I have long been a believer that youngsters gaining experience is vital to their development and the club's improvement. I love to see such players in a matchday squad and getting cameo appearances. I expect Potter will take the opportunity to play Zeqiri, Moder or Connolly with Maupay out and having Caicedo or Karbownik on the bench and getting 20 minutes isn't unbelievable.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We have much to learn still to win the must win games. We seem a little fragile which Burnley are not.

Yep. Albion have clearly lost games we shouldn't have done - agreed.
But Burnley are hardly consistent - not sure beating Fulham is the yardstick by which to judge either their fragility or their equally frustrating season. Losing 3-2 to Southampton after going 2-0 up in half an hour for starters. To be fair they did beat Palace 3-0 though and we haven't done that for a long while.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
The must win games thing is a bit of a myth. It dy matter which games you win do long as you win enough. We clearly play better against mid and top table teams which is interesting and important. Our problem this year has been drawing games we should have won.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The must win games thing is a bit of a myth. It dy matter which games you win do long as you win enough. We clearly play better against mid and top table teams which is interesting and important. Our problem this year has been drawing games we should have won.

I've lost count of the number of times over the last 4 seasons where I've seen fans on social media describe games as must-win that we subsequently don't win. Amazing given that we've managed to be mathematically safe with at least 2 games to spare every year!

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
I have long been a believer that youngsters gaining experience is vital to their development and the club's improvement. I love to see such players in a matchday squad and getting cameo appearances. I expect Potter will take the opportunity to play Zeqiri, Moder or Connolly with Maupay out and having Caicedo or Karbownik on the bench and getting 20 minutes isn't unbelievable.

Is there anything to prevent GP giving Taylor Richards a run out as U23s aren't included in the 25?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We need to consider :

1) Cash gain for league position.

2) Giving more experience to players - Connolly, Zeqiri, Karbo, Mac Allister, Alzate.

3) Shop-windowing - Jahanbakhsh, Tau.

4) Resting Euro 2020 players who won't get much of a break - basically Trossard, perhaps Moder.

5) Tactical experimentation for next season.

I don't think it is all about (1) now.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I've lost count of the number of times over the last 4 seasons where I've seen fans on social media describe games as must-win that we subsequently don't win. Amazing given that we've managed to be mathematically safe with at least 2 games to spare every year!

Yep absolutely this. I've been a fan long enough to know that we lose almost all "must win" games (Bournemouth under CH, Cardiff under CH, Sheff United, Wolves (maybe) under Potter to name a couple).

I fully expected us to lose to Sheffield United and beat Leeds. It was as nailed on as you can get.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Yep absolutely this. I've been a fan long enough to know that we lose almost all "must win" games (Bournemouth under CH, Cardiff under CH, Sheff United, Wolves (maybe) under Potter to name a couple).

I fully expected us to lose to Sheffield United and beat Leeds. It was as nailed on as you can get.

We've been poor this season v the bottom three but Weren't the wins v Newcastle and Southampton winnable or must win games. Wasn't the away win v Norwich last season vital in ensuring safety ?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
We've been poor this season v the bottom three but Weren't the wins v Newcastle and Southampton winnable or must win games. Wasn't the away win v Norwich last season vital in ensuring safety ?
Yeah, they absolutely contributed but so did the other wins and draws. My point is more about the teams in the bottom three and kicking away from those. I expect to beat Norwich and Newcastle, Southampton less so.

The so called must win games against Fulham, Sheffield United, West Brom, Bournemouth, Norwich and Watford have yielded 2 wins.

It's more a lost standing understanding that I have with myself to cope with almost always losing to the dross we should beat (if there is such a thing)

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
It's all more likely from the bench, but i'd like to see Alzate again

Like others have said, Zeqiri and Connolly should both get game up up front.

No point at all rushing Lallana back.

Tau would be good.

No point with Izquierdo, we're not renewing his deal

is that confirmed about izquierdo?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here