Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If Dunky stays will he be our greatest player ever?

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Just a thought. If Dunky were to continue here and become a one-club man, let's say, would we consider him as one of our greatest, if not the greatest player ever in our history. Or not? Or would you say he's already our greatest now, regardless if he moves on?

I'm aware there's an element of subjectivity around the measurement of 'great', sure there's been some players of fantastic footballing ability around these parts, but I intend 'great' as a sort of catch-all term, quantified by ability, achievements, status etc.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Definitely one of our greatest players ever , hard to say "the" greatest because it`s hard to compare a defender to a striker . He is definitely the best ever home grown player , he will probably be considered our greatest CB . If you made the criteria all defenders you would have to include Wayne Bridge and our own Tariq Lamptey , which would possibly split opinion . But our greatest ever player is too tough to call imho .

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Vicente I would say was our greatest ever player it was short lived but what a player. Dunk has been superb though and clearly loves the club.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
If Dunk retires at the Albion then he deserves a statue outside the Amex, and I’d argue he’d be our greatest ever player (although it might be a generational thing.) I mean let’s look at the facts.

• Local lad who has been at the club since he was 11(I think)
  • Is currently on 298 league games for the club. Another 5 1/2 years injury free years could see him pushing Tug Wilson for most Albion appearances ever (509). He’s already in the top 20.
  • Apart from 2 loan games to Bristol City he’s a one club man.
  • Only the 4th player to get an England cap whilst at Brighton
  • Came with the club from L1 to the Prem
  • Top scorer in one league season
  • Should hopefully reach double figure Prem goals.
  • Captained us in the Premier League
  • Responsible for some massively iconic moments; especially Fulham away and the promotion celebrations
  • Been happy to stay here despite rumours of a Chelsea transfer.

The word legend is thrown around way too much in football imo. For my money we’ve had 2 legends in the 21st century. Zamora and Dunk. The bloke is a f*cking legend and they day he stops playing for us, whether through retirement or transfer is going to be heartbreaking. A Rolls Royce of a defend who clearly bleeds blue and white and f*cking loves the club to his very core. No doubt he’s our greatest ever player if he stays forever, imo.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Yes he will definitely be our greatest player(if he isn't already)
And as well as all great legends ,what a fantastic story his will be.
He may have been at the same club but by Jove has he seen some incredible changes in the club during his career.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
If Dunk retires at the Albion then he deserves a statue outside the Amex, and I’d argue he’d be our greatest ever player (although it might be a generational thing.) I mean let’s look at the facts.

• Is currently on 298 league games for the club. Another 5 1/2 years injury free years could see him pushing Tug Wilson for most Albion appearances ever (509). He’s already in the top 20.
  • Responsible for some massively iconic moments; especially Fulham away and the promotion celebrations

The word legend is thrown around way too much in football imo. For my money we’ve had 2 legends in the 21st century. Zamora and Dunk. The bloke is a f*cking legend and they day he stops playing for us, whether through retirement or transfer is going to be heartbreaking. A Rolls Royce of a defend who clearly bleeds blue and white and f*cking loves the club to his very core. No doubt he’s our greatest ever player if he stays forever, imo.

Yes we'll said.i agree with all of this.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
One of our greatest ever players and best ever home grow talent - agreed.

Not our greatest ever CB, though. He played 150-odd games for us and went on to win 5 League Championships, an FA Cup and the European Cup. We also had 2 players who had previously lifted the European Cup as captains.

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
One of our greatest, definitely. Not in the same class as Lawrenson, though, who was a major part of our progression to what was the First Division. He was sold by the club with almost certainly no choice in the matter, which there but for grace could have happened to Dunk. On the other hand, Whitechapel makes some very good points above as do others for Charlie Webb and Vicente. Very subjective, innit.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
He already is

prawnsarnies

Jan 20, 2010
Would say best home grown player but not better than a big list of great players probably topped by Bruno.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Definitely one of our greatest players ever , hard to say "the" greatest because it`s hard to compare a defender to a striker . He is definitely the best ever home grown player , he will probably be considered our greatest CB . If you made the criteria all defenders you would have to include Wayne Bridge and our own Tariq Lamptey , which would possibly split opinion . But our greatest ever player is too tough to call imho .

I think you've forgotten Lawrenson who was also a very cultured defender, but it's hard to compare between the two eras. However, Lawro has proved himself very capable of forgetting his old club whereas Dunk, for all the reasons [MENTION=29779]Whitechapel[/MENTION] eloquently puts forward, is much more of a club legend.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Yeah, but apart from that????

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sorry but that just isn't true and is very well documented. He's spoken a lot about us. Check out some of the podcasts for a start.

Albion Roar?

I'm sure he's very warm when talking purely about Brighton to Brighton fans but he tends to forget all about it when he's on big media.

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London

Some of the earlier 80s team would feature

Eg Mark Lawrenson

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here