Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If Brighton and Hove Albion had never existed.Who do you think you would have supported?

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
As a lad always had a soft spot for Ipswich in the Division 3 South Days. We shared a few players Jimmy "Legs" Leadbetter amongst them. They always seemed to play classy football and of course went on to become the Old Division one Champions in the late 50's.

How was I to know that in the 70's work would take me to Suffolk where I lived for nearly 30 years.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Would have been a toss up between which family member could convince me first.

My dad was a Spurs fan
My step-father lived round the corner from and used to go to the Valley
My Godfather was a Palace fan - was going to take me to watch them as a child v Man Utd, but Sky moved the game so I couldn't go. I like to think of it as a close shave.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I'm not sure really. Dad was a sort of armchair Southampton fan, having moved down to New Milton when he was 11, and then to Winchester when he came back from South Africa in 1954 (he went to Dulwich College, which is a rugby school, so has never really been into football). When I was about 11, before I really got into football, we used to visit my grandmother in a nursing home in Thornton Heath, and would take her for a drive, which usually meant driving past Selhurst - I actually vaguely got interested in Palace at one point. Then most of my school mates followed Spurs and I became a Spurs fan for a while. However, Brighton v Wimbledon was the first game Dad took me to (we sat in the Lego stand). I can remember cheering the Albion winner hysterically (Frank Worthington got the equaliser after Stewart Evans scored for Wimbledon, but I can't remember who got the winner), but it was the nail-biting FA Cup win away to Hull the next season that got me hooked.

Had the Archer era put us out of business, I don't know. I would probably have tried out a number of London clubs (I might have settled on Brentford, having lived in Kew for a few years as a youngster). I have been to Crawley a few times, but just can't get any feeling for them.

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
Interesting question.

If I go back to my Great Grandfather I should be a Chelsea fan.
If I go back to my Grandfather I should be a Fulham fan.
My father preferred Chelsea.
I declared my support for Arsenal as a child and was given some very funny looks!
We then moved to Newhaven and I became a Brighton fan.

So I suppose the answer is Arsenal.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Worked for years in London and given the chance would choose West Ham,if they do eventually play at the new stadium and remain in the Premiership then would select prime matches.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Probably West Ham. A young boys loyalties are easily swayed back in 1975 when the ' Hammers were in their heyday with Bonds, Lampard, Parke's and Brooking gracing the Boleyn Ground, and properly televised FA Cup finals at Wembley. Thankfully family members changed all that by repeatedly treating me to the glamour to be had in that posh town along the road, Hove. The rest is history as they say.

Alternatively, in the dark, dark days before and during Gillingham I did occasionally pop up to Highbury for some top class football. Albion away at Rochdale, or Arsenal at home to United?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I went to uni, lived and worked in SELondon for millions of years and developed an unfortunate penchant for Milwall in my time there, mainly because a lot of my mates supported them and so I went to quite a few games. And yes, their fans are, on the whole, almost to a man or woman, psychotic.

Buckeejit

Sep 21, 2014
George Best was God where I grew up and during a grim time in Belfast, there was much pride that there were three local lads (McIlroy, Nicholl and McCreery) in Man U's 1977 FA cup-winning team, then Big Norman Whiteside came through the Utd ranks and became a legend so its an unpopular choice for me... sorry chaps!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here